NACHI Training Materials

Does NACHI sell any training materials that can be used to train Home Inspectors in areas that involve electrical systems?

Actually, I asked Gerry if he would allow me to use the same material that was used in Ohio where Paul presented the electrical seminar. He gave me some reasons why he could not share it with me, and mentioned that Paul was informed not to use it again either.

I have 100’s of my own programs, and share lots of my material, in fact some of the images on most of the seminars presented by those who do what I do are from my library, or from the INTERNET.

I never had any problem with that, I only have a problem when credit is not given where it is due.

Joe,

I used Gerry’s because of the time crunch and it was a chapter thing. I have created my own which is very simular just more specific on some details and I have retained permission from Mr. Pope and others for use of images.

Heck…I don’t have a problem giving anyone credit for anything…lol…hell I will even put your name on it if it helps promote you fella…LORD knows I don’t like to fly more than a couple times a year anyway…no competition here…just doing them as people ask me is all.

It is very hard to always give credit however…it sometimes happens without knowing…take the article you use in the EC & M mag…if people e-mail you tons of images over the course of a year and you use them somewhere…do you actually give credit to everyone that submitted them…chances are not…but thats normal…

Very hard to COPYRIGHT photo images that are used on the web…I know…many of you know I own RadioPet as well and do quite well thank you…have my own set of attorneys and well…you get the picture…

Been in more than one of those copyright battles…over my companies content…but images that do not have a COPYRIGHT note on them or are not graphics are hard to protect…I actually JUST bought rights to use some images for graphics just to complete my program for NACHI chapters…and trust me the graphics were not that good…

Take Mike Holt for example…he lets me use any of his images…and they are TOP NOTCH…not real good for the HI industry but still…nice stuff…

Anyway…its all good…I understand Gerrys point of view…he understands mine…he is cool…YOU are cool…it’s all good…I say create your own as I have over the last week and then its YOURS…the good thing about OUR business JOE is…very hard to copyright the concept…electrical things are electrical things…change words here…use different images here…create your own flow here…and you OWN it…:slight_smile:

This is why we need to form the “EIT” POSSE’…lol…

Paul:

OK, I agree! What about the 1 GB of material I gave to you?

I would like to know that you are using it as I intended.

PS: I am going to use Will Decker’s material and will modify it as necessary.

When anything is sent to my attention and is used in my articles we give credit.

I have 100’s of images sent to me yearly and they are included in my library and used when appropriate.

I will be in Williamsburg next week.

The 1 G is still in the computer…not a single BIT of it is in my presentation…in fact Will also gave me info…did not use any of it as well…in fact I created my presentation on my HOME computer…not even using my laptop to create anything…

The intent of it…to sit on my laptop…you volunteered it to me…but I am more than qualified to write my own material…:slight_smile:

I don’t believe NACHI sells educational training materials for use by others, but would typical request materials be prepared for NACHI, where NACHI retains the rights over all the materials … or utilize materials prepared by others, where the original author retains the rights and NACHI has some type of limited agreement on the use (e.g. http://www.nachi.org/nachicanuse.htm).

Thank you Robert. The material posted on the NACHI BB that includes images is the property of that person.

See

Attach Files

Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

**Manage Attachments**](http://www.nachi.org/forum/newattachment.php?t=303&poststarttime=1150073837&posthash=4c3ffd86f069f21c7cc9a1e12ef6962d)

Sum of all attachments owned by jtedesco1: 3.04 MB

Owned by Joe Tedesco or the thousands of people who actually SENT in images as well, very hard to determine that Joe…anyway my images are mainly from Jeff Pope and John 0.

however it is important to note that images POSTED online and in OPEN forums without a Trademark or Copyright is subject to use…check with a local attorney.

Hell at the end of my new presentation I thank people who had nothing to do with my presentation…lol…I even thank Nick and Deanna…none of the images are his or hers…:slight_smile:

But behind the scenes they make things happen and they should get credit…:slight_smile:

If you have a BEEF with Gerry, Mr. Scorpio( teehee) I suggest you take it up with him directly…Gerry asked me if I would not use his presentation ( and a fine one it is ) when I do personal seminars…and I HONOR his request…This is not a NACHI Chapter I am doing on June 21…personal seninar…

This is HIS business and living…he has EVERY right…

BTW…Joe just so you sleep better at night…I removed all your information from my lap top…don’t want you getting upset or anything…:)thehehehe

Seriously…I don’t want you to have any stress over it…JUST much easier to make your own presentation…and simply ask the members if you can use their pictures…

Let me tell you what CLASS ACTS these guys are…I asked and they granted and NOT ONCE did they say give me credit…they are not attention minded…They are GREAT guys…thanks Jeff and John and the many others who have allowed me to use images.

Not a NACHI seminar ???

http://www.nachicertifiedtraining.com/

PHOTO OF THE MONTH: December 04

[COLOR=#99000]This photo was taken in an Alabama home. A flying squirrel had the misfortune of coming in contact with an electrical receptacle that had a missing face plate. Next time you hear a real estate agent say that an inspector is nick picking about missing wall plates, show him/her this photo. [CENTER]

http://www.independentinspectors.org/jpeg-photos/squirrel.jpg

[COLOR=#990000]Photo taken by [COLOR=#0000ff]Bill Loden of Insight Home Inspection Huntsville, AL

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
[/COLOR]
Do you have an Interesting photo to share of a home related problem?
E-Mail it To [COLOR=#0000ff]Dennis@Independent Inspectors.org
Credit given with your name and company web site link,
if your photo is used for the “Picture Of The Month.”[/COLOR]

that is correct Joe, this is a commercial venture being run by Tom Rausch in Colorado.

Regards .

Gerry

100% Correct…has nothing to do with Chapters.

GFCI and AFCI Explained
Decker Home Services, LLC

http://www.deckerhomeservices.com/AFCI2.jpg

As new technology brings us new tools to make our lives easier, it also provides new devices to keep us safer in our homes. GFCI protected electrical receptacles and AFCI protection are little technological wonders. They are outlets or circuit breakers that contain some extra specialized and micro-miniaturized electrical circuits that can detect the specific, characteristic signs of household electrical current that are present when certain dangerous situations occur. When the detect such conditions, they automatically shut down the electricity, providing an extra layer of safety and, possibly saving a life in the process. Regular circuit breakers are designed to protect the house’s electrical system, not the house’s inhabitants! The amount of electricity that is needed to kill a human being is thousands of times less than the amount that will ‘trip’ a regular circuit breaker. Please read the explanations below and check out the web page links that re highlighted.

GFCI Electrical Outlets](http://doityourself.com/electric/gfci.htm) - ](http://doityourself.com/electric/gfci.htm)A GFCI outlet (GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt) is a special electrical outlet device that provides much greater protection from electrical shock than a standard electrical outlet does. Think of a GFCI outlet as a small, ultra sensitive circuit breaker that is built right into the outlet. it should be called an ‘Anti-Electrocution Device’. Here’s how it works.

When the amount of electrical current coming out of the ‘hot’ prong of the outlet (the smaller slot) is just 5/1000 of an amp different from the amount of electrical current coming back into the outlet on the ‘neutral’ prong (the larger one), the outlet will ‘trip’, i.e. shut down the outlet. In such a case, the GFCI outlet senses that it is putting out more electricity than it getting back. The only place that this missing electrical current can be going is to another source of ground, which is probably a person!

GFCI outlets are now required to be used anyplace in your house where there is a close proximity to the grounding of a human being. Such places are; kitchen counter tops and islands, within 6’ of sinks or water sources, bathrooms, unfinished basements areas, garages and all outdoor outlets.

Please Note: If your house was built before GFCIs were required, local building codes do not necessarily require them, but safety does! Going beyond the minimum safety requirements of mere local building codes, to the higher standards of safety, is part of what a professional NACHI home inspector does.

AFCI Electrical Outlets - An AFCI outlet is much like a GFCI outlet, but it protects against an entirely different potential danger. Sometimes, certain types of electrical appliances will be used to convert electricity into heat. Sometimes, these devices will also cause heating where the device plugs into the wall. This is called arcing. You sometimes see it when you quickly unplug a heating appliance, like a clothing iron, from an outlet while it is switched on.

An AFCI protection device will detect any ‘arcing’ (i.e. sparks, where electricity is being conducted through the air and converted to heat (can you day 5,000 degrees!) when you don’t want it to) and shut down the outlet before any damage can be done.

AFCI protection is now required, by the National Electrical Code, in all sleeping areas, such as bedrooms or dens with fold out couches. These are areas where fires could start and catch people who are sleeping or otherwise unable to get out quickly, in case of a fire. Newer standards, not yet fully adopted, will require the entire house to have AFCI protection, probably after 2008.

AFCI protection devices are not found in wall receptacles, but are incorporated into your house’s main electrical service equipment panel in the form of circuit breakers.

Please Note: Like GFCI outlets, older homes are not usually required by mere local building codes, but they are required by the much higher safety standards used by professional home inspectors.

You must ask yourself the question. How safe do you want your home to be? Are you willing to spend about $100.00 to add this protection?

The choice is yours.

Ahhh…and YOUR point is?

If everyone wants to protect their images…I suggest they put their name on them with a copyright mark…otherwise…not enforceable.

nachi-sample.jpg

What is the big deal about images and their use?

Because, I make use of this board during my seminars around the country like now, so I posted this “original” information written by Will so that I can add the link to my list, and also use it to show my students what is available here.

I will present a NACHI Chapter seminar June 23, 24 in Fredrick, MD and will share this with them as well.

I enjoy reading “original” work and “published” articles and plan on searching for more on the board here, like those that have been posted in the past by Mr. Wand, and others like the “Bozek grounding paper” and others that are with the information that can be of help to the HI.

I also plan on adding the images I took of the completed work by Will to add violations to the panelboard that I built for the Chicago Chapter.

I hope that this answered your questions Paul:mrgreen:

lol…well actually Joe…I just did not understand the post of the squirrel in this thread…lol…that was really what I wanted…

Mr. Bell- I have no idea…it seems that when ever someone uses someones image that is posted online and does not put who they got the image from that a stinks starts…I was only showing a image of how to add the copyright statement on it if anyone is really concerned…

Personally…any images I post…I dont care who uses them but others do not agree…so you have to obtain permission from them to use them in lets say a seminar…I dont happen to agree in this…I feel anything posted on a OPEN and FREE board gives up rights to copyright and can freely be used…which is why all articles online have the copyright statement but images do not…but it has caused a stink lately so I was just giving an example of what you can do if you dont want your images used is all.

Guys - I think that there are a few misconceptions out there - NACHI Certified Training is an educational extension of the NACHI head office - all funds go to NACHI and Nick pays all of the bills - I am merely facilitating on behalf of Nick and the crew in Boulder. We are taking the training to the HI’s - we offer premium training, in excellent facilities, using only the best instructors. NACHI Certified Training is what the name states - it is not a commercial venture of me, Tom Rausch. It is one of the many and varied educational arms of NACHI. We have had an overwhelming reponse from Chapter Presidents and members alike - I am in the process of coordinating at least 15 Educational Events (US & Canada) and have Vendors emailing me every day - we have a minimum $2,000 in door prizes lined up for the June 21st, Denver event with more funds being made available at all future events. At this point, I am swamped with the response from members, vendors and contractors. Most of you should know that I am still very busy inspecting houses and runnig my own HI business. The way I see it, NACHI Certified Training, is NACHI all the way!