NACHI's 3 duties... what order of priority should they be?

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

NACHI is basically now the industry’s sole association. Even those who disagree at least don’t contest that we are the largest in every measureable category. Anyway, NACHI tries to help:

1. NACHI members.
2. Consumers.
3. The inspection industry.

EVERYTHING we do at NACHI can be categorized as helping one or more of those 3 groups. Many things we do at NACHI help 2 or all of those groups at once. I'll offer this example: http://www.nachi.org/inspectionexcellence.htm Obviously offering free education to ALL inspectors helps our members, it helps consumers, and it helps the industry.

Every now and then though...there is a conflict. The most troublesome conflict is evident when we offer marketing advice to our members. Non-members can avail themselves of this advice and use it to gain competitive advantage against members.

So the question becomes... given a conflict between any of the 3 groups, what position should NACHI take? Is the priority order correct in your opinion?

NACHI members first.
Consumers second.
Industry last.

??

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

That order is fine. As long as we are doing all three.

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Dave, Sole association of the inspection industry. Now before you get all bent out of shape, I conceeded that you might not agree but when I compare http://www.nachi.org/whats_new.htm to what other associations are doing… ah… that is not the topic of this thread. The topic really is what are NACHI’s duties, what is the order of priorities, have they changed, and how we handle conflict between them.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

do all three.

I believe that the only time we egg our own faces is when we bash someone else's.

I've campaigned for cooperation here on the MB all along, and have quoted my grandmother, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Physically and metaphysically, when we point a finger, three more are pointing right back to us.

Helping members is very high on my list, and I appreciate it immensely. Educating consumers is invaluable to them, to members, and to the industry. It can be accomplished by saying why a NACHI inspector is the best, rather than occasionally painting non-members as being undesireable, with broad strokes. With this tactic, non-members will want to become members, rather than raise their hackles along with their hind legs as they pee on the NACHI post.

It's a tough line to walk, being an aggressive marketer while dropping the baseball bat. I know; I've been there. The tactics that worked so well through the 1980's actually backfire in today's world.

I commend you for the outstanding planning and effort, bringing NACHI to where it is - and where it's going! A soft glove may be the answer to how we can effectively feed the needs of -
1. NACHI members.
2. Consumers.

in everything we do, say, write and act.

See ya this weekend in Idaho!

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Alright then, when we find ourselves in conflict… should we go to the order?

I'll give you an example of a percieved conflict between industry and consumer... http://www.nachi.org/harmless.htm

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Nick,

Great topic for discussion.

IMO, our first priority ecompasses the other two.

There is no such thing as something that benefits a NACHI member that does not benefit the consumer and the industry. Something that detracts from the other two would only hurt the member as well.

Since all industry members are invited to participate with us, through membership or just by attending our events, the more we have the more they gain.

Let us drop the other two from the priority category, since it is a redundancy and let's just say that NACHI's first, last, and foremost priority is its members. Through them, NACHI will change the world.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
I'll give you an example of a percieved conflict between industry and consumer... http://www.nachi.org/harmless.htm

Not trying to be negative but that may not be the best example. You have a wealth of great advice, such as this example. But advice is what it is and may not fit all situations. It is up to the individual to make sure they do not violate a clients trust or any laws.

To answer your question, when it does come down to push and shove and one has to choose then, in the interest of organizational, and thereby our own individual, integrity I feel the order should be:

1. Consumers.
2. NACHI members.

We need to continue projecting the image of consumer concern!

Just my thoughts.

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Manny,

Can you give an example of conflict? I can think of no examples in which the membership of NACHI could benefit at the expense of either the consumer (without whom, we do not eat) and the industry that provides us with the means to serve.

--

www.monachi.org

gromicko wrote:
Alright then, when we find ourselves in conflict... should we go to the order?

Nick, I can justify that to any client by simply stating that I hold myself accountable for my own actions, and there's no reason to drag an agent into it.
Regarding:
when we find ourselves in conflict..

I still maintain that we look at everything we say and do, and make sure it - if not fills each square - does not offend any one of the three. At that point, we are operating in complete integrity.

A lot of it has to do with how something is worded. Believe me when I say, I'll be happy to work with wording with you or anyone above the Janitor Position, for anything NACHI publicly distributes.

--

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.

Quote:
We can do all three.

But if the situation arises that forces us to choose then there is an obvious conflict and we should move to a consumer protection stance. Yes this may one day mean I receive a letter booting me from NACHI because what I did is questionable or possibly even wrong but not covered in the COE or bylaws. As much as I do not care for indiscriminate actions, making a choice that affects one person but retains the reputation of all the rest is the proper and prudent course of action.

We have a very well run organization, with massive amounts of intelligence and capabilities!! Many people are thinking far ahead enough to plan and prevent it from happening.

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Manny,

I'll explain more of what I mean. Perhaps we are both talking about the same thing.

Now, mind you, I'm going to have Hagarty and Myers climbing all over me for challenging them on this, but I am more amused than I am intimidated by their antics - so, here goes. This happened, yesterday.

A new member unwittingly engages in an activity that violates PA law and discusses it on the message board. It is in the best interest of the member, the consumer, and the industry to address this. But how?

Well, we could put the consumer first (before the feelings of our member) and publicly berate the member on our message board and insult anyone else who does not agree with us. This way, all of our outside guests from within and without the industry can see how "integral" we are by putting our consumer before our own member. In the long run however, future and new members learn to refrain from speaking openly on the board and their mistakes go without disclosure and correction - thus hurting themselves, the consumer and the industry.

By appearing to put the consumer first, we have actually hurt the consumer, as well as our member and our industry.

Or, we could pick up the phone or type an email and let our fellow member know that he has chosen a poor course of action and offer our advice. If he takes it, fine. Everyone wins. If he does not, we report the issue to the Ethics Committee for their investigation and action. There is a chance that we could be wrong and not have all the facts. Reserving our judgment until after an ethics review would also be in the member's interest.

The matter is addressed, one way or the other, to the benefit of all the members, the consumer and the industry.

Again, I know of no instance in which I could possibly benefit from an action that hurts my customer or my industry.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

The poster of the topic has now learned what he needs to do to “be within the law”. As well as act accordingly with NACHI. He wasn’t hurt in the thread. It is kinda like the ashi agency you complained about how they were getting their 250. If their org was concentrated on the consumer, that would not be going on. Maybe someone like hagarty or meyers would help them. icon_wink.gif

gromicko wrote:
NACHI is basically now the industry's sole association. Even those who disagree at least don't contest that we are the largest in every measureable category. Anyway, NACHI tries to help:

1. NACHI members.
2. Consumers.

EVERYTHING we do at NACHI can be categorized as helping one or more of those 3 groups. Many things we do at NACHI help 2 or all of those groups at once. I'll offer this example: http://www.nachi.org/inspectionexcellence.htm Obviously offering free education to ALL inspectors helps our members, it helps consumers, and it helps the industry.

Every now and then though...there is a conflict. The most troublesome conflict is evident when we offer marketing advice to our members. Non-members can avail themselves of this advice and use it to gain competitive advantage against members.

So the question becomes... given a conflict between any of the 3 groups, what position should NACHI take? Is the priority order correct in your opinion?

NACHI members first.
Consumers second.
Industry last.

??

Anyway, back to the topic.
I'm interested in hearing what others have to say on this!

--

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.

Quote:
Well, we could put the consumer first (before the feelings of our member) and publicly berate the member on our message board and insult anyone else who does not agree with us.

I have always subscribed to the basic management/leadership philosophy of "Praise in public! Criticize in private!". Only rarely should it ever be necessary to publicly address a problem person. Generally it only becomes necessary when private discussions do absolutely no good.

Quote:
Or, we could pick up the phone or type an email and let our fellow member know that he has chosen a poor course of action and offer our advice. If he takes it, fine. Everyone wins. If he does not, we report the issue to the Ethics Committee for their investigation and action.

Our ethics committee members were selected for their abilities to handle these duties. I have every faith they can indeed solve these issues both efficiently and very discreetly. It would do no good to publicize the improper activity. If the offending individual still does not wish to abide by our COE, and they are violating any local, state or federal law it would be the duty of the ethics committee to expel the member and report them to the appropriate authorities, again very discreetly and without public announcement.

With this course of action we have actually served all three groups; the public (consumer), all other NACHI members and the industry as a whole.

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

, Manny?

What kinda biznis you tryin to run?

icon_question.gif

Yup, I'm just jabbering a lot on the board today cuz I have a day off - getting ready for our 2 Idaho Meetings with Nick

--

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.

Originally Posted By: dharris

Quote:
[quote="gromicko"]NACHI is basically now the industry's sole association. Even those who disagree at least don't contest that we are the largest in every measureable category. Anyway, NACHI tries to help:

Nick, NACHI tries to help who?
Az has 100 plus or - NACHI members, in the past 2 plus years there were 2 NACHI meetings, the 1st one had a few turn out and the 2nd one had 2 or 3 show up.
In the last 1.5 years NACHI has not provided any CE for their members.

From what I see the only person that benefits from dues paid to the org you own is you.

NACHI a Sole association, give me a break, The only sole about NACHI is that NACHI is owned by a sole dictator/ owner and NACHI funds go to your pocket 1st and anything left over is passed on to your members. When members attempt to change your policies to better the org they believe in you belittle, threaten to kill them, call them jackass's, and tell them to go to ASHI.

I've been a member of ASHI for 5 years now and EVERY event, 4 times a year, 75-100 plus members and non members attend the ASHI CE provided 6-8 Hr. seminars, and every one attending do not hesitate to pay 100-125.00 for the valuable CE provided at these seminars.
Since you determined your the expert on HI orgs, How do you explain this?

Any sourpusses that like to squawk should be aware of the fact that a state or local chapter is only as good as its own members, who provide their own agendas and CE’s.

Having founded 2 state chapters, I give credit to those members who help make it happen and have little time for those who P&M about things.

Anyone who wants to P&M may feel free, at any time, to forward some constructive criticism (how to make it better), or STHU.

--

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.

Hey Russell,

Send me some Spuds!!! They don't know how to grow good veggies here! Ever have deep fried spuds topped with vaniller butternut ice cream?? Um Yummy!!!

My grandfather used to run a still in the South during prohibition. He made a fortune off of spuds!! Or should I say suds from spuds ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Good luck on the meetings!! Remember Nick doesn't need the carbs from spuds keep them away from him ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

escanlan wrote:
Hey Russell,

Send me some Spuds!!! They don't know how to grow good veggies here! Ever have deep fried spuds topped with vaniller butternut ice cream?? Um Yummy!!!

Now, that I've never had - but it's worth a try!
As far as the other, I've had some very good popskull while living in TN & NC's mtns, but it was made with corn. Short season on corn up here, tho!

I confine my makin's to dark beer.

But, I do have some organic red & gold spuds growing in the garden!
With all the fish in these (1/4 mile deep) lakes & rivers, should open up a fish & chips shop, as the Brits say!

--

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.