NACHI's Standards? Why not!?

Originally Posted By: jpulley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Most inspectors get the bulk of their business by referral. (Realtors, Attorneys, Lenders, etc.) So, as an “independent”, if I do not register with the state, I can’t operate. And, if I have no affiliations, I can’t register.

And if I don’t meet the requirements of the organization; qualifications,

CEU’s, etc., I can’t operate, because I can’t register.

At that point you have standards of “beginning qualification”, (we all have to start somewhere) continuing education, and exposure to higher personal standards set by others within the organization.

Not to mention, standards of practice, which tell me as a home inspector, this is what I am supposed to check, that is outside the scope of a standard home inspection.

Should you care to investigate, there is not a whole lot of difference between the standards of practice from one national organization to another. (end quote)

Now, as I re-read this, I’m sure I will get the question of why we should pay the state for this “record keeping”.

The answer to that is also quite simple. We have all put a lot of time, money and effort into the building of this business. And I’m sure that we have all seen the equivalent of the guy with the beat-up mini-van, a screwdriver an outlet tester, and the willingness to work cheaply invade our livelihood. Would I pay the state a reasonable fee to keep that from happening? You betcha! This is an opportunity to either bring them up to speed, or leave them behind.

It should be noted that I have no problem with anyone wanting to enter the business, however, they should know what they’re getting into.

Hot attics, dirty crawlspaces, unscrupulous realtors, buyers, and sellers.

The clients who want to sue you because you don’t have x-ray vision.

Oh, and by the way, I hope you like to write, you’ll be doing a lot of that, too. Not to mention the research it takes to keep up on current standards and the verification of those in the past, as well.

Discouraging? Yes. Reality? Yes. Elimination of cheap upstarts? Definitely!

The blueprint for all this is the position statement at FAPHI.com.

The details have been laid out by which ever association to whom you belong, ASHI, NAHI, NACHI, or the Arabian Assn. of Camel Jockeys.

Objections? Let’s hear 'em!

J.R.Pulley

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

J.R.

Well put, well said. FAPHI has there position statement outlined at:

www.faphi.org

All who are interested should contact Harold Young or Damon O'Donnell. Nick Gromicko is the Executive Director.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Just for informational purposes. Damon O’Donnell is no longer the current President of FAPHI. I took the reins over when Damon stepped down recently. I was the Vice President so it was a given. Harold Weise is one of the Directors and you are right Nick Gromicko is also Director. I encourage anyone interested to visit our website at faphi.org to see the Position paper. Feel free to contact any of the members listed on the website for additional information. Thanks.

Doug Edwards

organization, obviously you have no objections either.

So, why is everyone trying to re-invent the wheel?

cc: Nick Gromicko

Pulley

The short answer is…Follow the money. The long answer is somewhat more complicated. There is a lot of speculation as to why and the pat answer is always the same. To protect the customer. As I have stated before you as an individual can already do that each and every time you do an inspection. The State has realized that “licensing” any profession (1) does not and never has guaranteed superior performance/service. (2) it costs a lot of money to impose the licensing regulations, recordkeeping, and requires the State to create new jobs to do just that. (3) it almost always ends up with potential corruption existing where none existed before. I am not making this up, this was told to me by a State Representative who is very well versed and knowledgable in this area. (lawyer) Think about it. If licensing was so effective, you or I would not have a job. We see every day some of the work performed by “licensed” professionals. The REAL money to be made in Home Inspections is in “education”. Don’t get me wrong, I think staying proficient and updated on the industry is important and everyone should try to get into as many classes and courses as they can and as often as they are available. That was some of the problems with the original bill, the narrow scope of “recognized or approved” sources of this said education. The one area that was completely ignored was the Vocational/Tech schools all over Florida. They are already teaching the construction disciplines and the fees are considerably lower than the HI schools and their curriculums are already recognized, regulated and approved by the State of Florida. (Your point of reinventing the wheel) I do believe the State of Florida could come up with a very good HI bill if all the egos, back door deals, posturing and hidden agendas were left at the door by everyone. All the “my organization is better, the NHIE is the only valid test”, and the other nonsense were to cease it could be done. It needs to be done slowly, methodically and thoughtfully. The way the last bill morphed could hardly be considered that. Too many agents in the background changing things minute by minute. Some people were positioning themselves to be the members of the “Advisory Board” before the ink was dry on the first draft. As I have stated on this board before, the worst enemy to Home Inspectors is politically ambitious Home inspectors. Anyone who watches this board and others have seen this daily. It is an emotional issue and I do not pretent to have the solution. I do know it can be done but should be done properly. Got to go to work.

Take care out there

Originally Posted By: jbushart

dedwards wrote:
The REAL money to be made in Home Inspections is in "education". Don't get me wrong, I think staying proficient and updated on the industry is important and everyone should try to get into as many classes and courses as they can and as often as they are available. That was some of the problems with the original bill, the narrow scope of "recognized or approved" sources of this said education.

From what I have observed nothing that involves home inspection legislation in Florida has been consumer driven.

Private providers of education services wishing to position their services ahead of the inexpensive public providers of the same education, and creating a need for more education by legislation; Experienced home inspectors wishing to reduce the number of inexperienced competitors; Inspectors who are overcharging their customers with exhorbatant fees wishing to eliminate their lower priced competitors - all jockeying to manipulate legislation that the consumer is not even aware of the need for.

If you were to eliminate the special interests involved in driving this legislation, there would be no one left to care about it. Eliminating these special interests, however, is probably the only way of creating meaningful legislation that has any chance of being signed into law.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: ladams

dedwards wrote:
I took the reins over when Damon stepped down recently. I was the Vice President so it was a given. Doug Edwards

--
Lind Adams
727-233-1038
MDA Group Inc. Home & Mold Inspections
www.mdagroupinc.com

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

jbushart wrote:
If you were to eliminate the special interests involved in driving this legislation, there would be no one left to care about it.

I would have to agree with you, in all of my research I have yet to find any hard evidence that the run-of-the-mill home inspector is any real threat to the consumer, nor is there any proof that home inspectors regularly engage in deceptive practices, yes, there will always be exceptions to the rule and mistakes will be made but I believe a study would show that even when home inspectors are sued the majority of these suites are proven to be frivolous and without merit.

jbushart wrote:
Eliminating these special interests, however, is probably the only way of creating meaningful legislation that has any chance of being signed into law.

Here is where we disagree, first off there is no way to eliminate these groups and even if it were possible there is no guarantee that what would be cobbled together would be meaningful. I truly believe that only through cooperation within a larger body of home inspectors who represent the full spectrum of home inspectors in a given area will meaningful legislation be hammered out. In situations like this there is no real way to win, there is only hard work and compromise, furthermore through cooperation and commitment it is possible that adequate legislation may be developed at a low cost to both the profession and the community.

It would truly be a sad state of affairs for groups to be excluded from the public dialog simply because they took a stand on a particular issue prior to having received all of the data available or because the current leadership lacked the experience or vision to see the possibilities.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Joe,

Perhaps "eliminating" these groups from the discussion was a poor choice of words on my part. You are correct, in my opinion, that meaningful legislation will be derived from collective input. Elimination NOT of the special interest groups themselves, but elimination of their dominance over the discussion will certainly help to see that this objective can be realized.

--

www.monachi.org

Okay Gentlemen,

Those are all good observations, and I must admit, I have seen what you all say to be true. The question comes back to the original post.
Nick was somewhat less than impressed with the standards of another organization, (which will remain anonymous) but their presence in the state of Florida is probably of little concern. (numbers wise)
What other reasons are there why this wouldn't work?
With the construction disciplines being taught at community colleges,
(something I didn't know, either) it wouldn't be hard to take the money out of these "special interests" pockets.
Pulley

jpulley wrote:
Okay Gentlemen,

What other reasons are there why this wouldn't work?

Let me explain, the discussion in regards to "Special Interests Groups" as enlightening as it is, is in reality, nothing more then mental masturbation. If you read the Governor's veto letter (excerpt below) you will see that he has asked the DBPR to get involved, what that means is that the Home Inspection profession will no longer be providing the the text to upcoming bills. The DBPR will be sending down to the House what they want to see in a bill long before it is ever written.

Governor Jeb Bush wrote:

Because I agree with the bill?s sponsors that additional consumer protection is warranted in these fields, I have directed Secretary Diane Carr of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation to work with various stakeholders during the interim to develop proposed legislation. I encourage legislators to participate in this process and hope that they will work with the department to find a solution that protects the public while providing a constructive business climate in which legitimate and responsible Florida businesses can compete.

Now, the only real way to influence how the next bill is going to read is to somehow work within the system and get your ideas to the DBPR, of course your group would most likely have to actually know someone within the DBPR or Governor's office for this to happen, unfortunately I know of no group other than the Alliance and possibly ASHI that has such connections, but I am sure that the new NACHI Legislative committee already knew that and are earnestly working on a solution.

It is my hope that we can decide as an association to work constructively with others in this endeavor and find some common ground, if this cooperation is not forthcoming from us I believe that we will as an association have no voice in the process and will suffer whatever consequences that stand produces.

--

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Joe,

He has asked the DBPR to work with the "stakeholders", I believe. I do not agree with your observation that this necessarily represents the group that referred to itself as the "home inspector's alliance" since that group was, for the most part, ignored at every level during the last legislative session.

There were less visible and, as the results would indicate, more effective "stakeholders" that affected the outcome who will probably be very much involved with the next round of discussions.

I think the president of our association could speak more on that if he feels that it would be wise to do so.

--

www.monachi.org

Deleted…

~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

C’mon, Joe,

Every good politician has every one of his constituents feeling they have a personal connection to him. You have to go by the results.

The results from the previous round shows that the misnamed "home inspectors alliance" had no affect at all on getting anything placed before either side of the house for a final vote, nor was affective in influencing the governor to approve the weakened bill.

You actually think that the DBPR or anyone else is going to be led by this group?

--

www.monachi.org

jbushart wrote:
You actually think that the DBPR or anyone else is going to be led by this group?

In reality, I could care less as I have positioned my company to survive and possibly thrive regardless of what happens, can you same the same for all of the Florida NACHI members you supposedly represent?

Just so we understand each other, I am not seeking yours or NACHI's permission in regard to licensing legislation, I will do what I believe is best for our profession. So... for future reference, it would probably make more sense for you to number me with the Hooperets, that way you can safely disregard anything that I say and you disagree with.

It would seem that my voice is no longer needed in this discussion, good luck with influencing Florida legislation from Missouri, let me know how it goes, as your buddy Chad says, I'm done for now.

--

~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

jburkeson wrote:

It would seem that my voice is no longer needed in this discussion

Not true. I'm sorry if I offended you.

The outcome of the Florida legislative issue will not be decided by NACHI or any one particular individual or special interest. The last decade or so, I think, has effectively demonstrated that.

The same kind of thinking that has failed in the past will not prevail in the future, IMO.

--

www.monachi.org

Lind,

Sorry I did not acknowledge your congrats. I had to take my computer to the sick shop to clean out all the garbage left behind by Norton Internet Security software. Buy a good computer and then they load it up with crap that slows it down. I had puter withdrawal for a while then I got out the laptop, but it isn’t the same. Anyway, thanks. Stay busy and stay safe.

Doug