NAE, HIA and InterNACHI partner to help low-income buyers find the best inspectors.

Please describe the potential client who can afford to buy a house but cannot afford to pay my standard fee?

After you do this, help me to understand the benefit to me by providing the same service and extending the same degree of liability to someone who is unable or unwilling to pay for it.

Thanks.

Low income people buy homes. But they disproportionately waive inspections (in part because of cost). We’ve found sponsors to pay (you) for these inspections.

For my standard fee?

Yes. I’m assuming you’ll take their money?

Cool.

Nick,

Thanks for filling in James with the details and thanks for your help in getting us to the right people that helped get this started.

James,

I am the Executive Director of Home Inspection Assistance, Inc (HIA) and after a few years of hard work we are pleased to annouce that all the pieces are in place to get this rolling.

This all started when we had a number of requests for inspections after the fact in Central Ohio where the buyer had purchased homes for under 100k that had been “rehabbed”. These buyers are getting down payment asisstance or just barely qualifying for loans and do not have the funds to put out for an inspection. During the inspections after the fact we were finding numerous blantant issues that the now owners could not afford to repair that would have been documented during an inspection.

With that in mind we have been over the years performing pro bono inspections in these cases until the HIA startup. (you have to give back).

The fees will be the normal fee for the areas that we provide service. With any luck it will be nationwide.

Thanks for your interest and patience in this endeavor to assist home buyers.

Rick Harrington
Executive Director
Home Inspection Assistance, Inc

Most of the Directors of HIA are members of NACHI.

Thanks, Rick.

For clarification … by the “normal fee for the area” are you saying that you will establish the fee or will the inspector?

For example, my fees are considerably higher than the handymen and part-timers in my area. If I participated in this program, would I be able to participate at my usual fee or for what is “normal” for my area considering their $195 home inspections? I have no need or interest in providing inspections at a reduced fee.

After the fact inspections?

These buyers should be getting inspections before closing. Seems to me banks are wanting to sell these “properties” AS IS, and are not letting these low-income buyers get inspections: IE short contingency periods. Most all properties are cheap for a reason; just like inspectors.

Will this be coming to Ontario, Canada soon?

In an area like Reno where apartments cost more per month than mortgages for houses in certain areas I can see more low income people buying.

I am in. Doesn’t matter the price. The greatest thing about life is the ability to share what God has blessed me with.

Giving back is just part of any successful business. Count me in.

Well said Russell !!!

Glad this has generated so much interest in the inspectors. Our hope and goal is to educate the public about the need for inspections and their worth.

We hope this generates more inspections for everyone !!!

James, come on … get on board here, the fees will be fair. We will be talking to the inspectors in the area to set the prices for the area before providing the funding. We do realize that fees vary from city to city, state to state.

We will not be outside of the USA and will grow as funding increases.

Let me take a minute and tell you a story about giving back. I too was very “selfish” and didn’t have time for others interests a few years back. Some good friends showed me how it is supposed to work. He stated we were going to do some pro bono inspections for those less fortunate and I reluctantly agreed. At the end of the day, I realized that I had provided a service that they wouldn’t have received and I met some people that I would not have met otherwise. Over the years, some of the people I’ve met have turned out to provide the payback 10 fold over what I gave and give out to others.

Thanks for all the interest and happy inspecting !!

Rick A Harrington

Gary, These clients know that now, but when buying an inexpensive property from someone that has “rehabbed” we all know that some things get missed with the buyers rose colored glasses and seller assurances. It is up to all of us to be out there educating the public when and where we can about inspections and by all means doing what we can to let people know that AS IS still needs inspected to prevent the house “landmine” that can zap thier entire savings if they have one. I take every chance I can to speak to groups and offer any assistance I can.

Guys… I’m having a blast because I love what I do and what we can do to help our neighbors and friends.

Thanks,

Rick

When Rick first brought this idea to me, I thought to myself: Well, here’s a great project that will probably take a year before launch. It took almost three. Nice work Rick.

The biggest compliment is when a real estate agent, who you have worked with in a past inspection, calls you to inspect the home that they are purchasing.

It is sad that most all homes are being sold AS IS, and are not getting our attention to repairs needed.

Just think of all the jobs that we could create if home inspections were mandatory before the home is even marketed. Agents, companies, government officials, and office brokers nationwide have it backwards.

Re-habbed homes are for eye-candy only. I have more problems inspecting these homes than vacant ones. Inspections should be done before closing; not after the fact.

I think this is a fantastic idea. This may preclude the buyers from either having no inspection at all or having to go with the cheapest inspector in town who might be on site for 45 mins and that includes the time it takes him to fill out the four page report on notebook paper. Good job!

My fees are fair, and going up in 2012. I’m not interested in having anyone else define what a “fair” price is for me — nor do I wish to participate in a program that only offers “fair” prices to certain people and presumably “unfair” prices to others. In my opinion, this simply adds to the misperception of the home inspection as a “commodity”.

Every inspector is paid exactly what he is worth, without exception, 100% of the time — no matter who his client is.

Good luck with your project.

I do have a couple of questions, though.

Since it is the presumably “good” inspector willing to donate his time for lowball fees as his means of participating with your program … who is it that donates the actual cash to pay them?

How much money is in the fund, so far, and how is it managed?

Who manages the money that is donated and who takes how much donated money off the top to cover their “expenses” while these presumably “good” inspectors are performing inspections for lowball fees for people who can afford houses, but not home inspections?

I’ll take a stab at it. I need all the help I can get at the Pearly Gates.

Like your attitude We need more people to give when you are able Thanks