Naming of an inspection

I am looking to name the two different types of reports I offer. One type of report will include one or two sentences informing the client of the problem and include pictures of major problems only. The other type of report will include more written information and pictures about the problems discovered plus other things that will justifies the cost difference.

Any suggestion on naming the two types of services?

P.S. I know there is somebody out there that will disagree with what I am doing, and that is fine.

Basic and comprehensive

or maybe comprehensive vs educational.

just some guess’s for ya

Home Inspection
&
Extended Time & Scope

are our 2 generally contracted Inspection Services.

Home Inspection is based upon square footage for a predetermined Inspection Fee. (usually 2.5 to 3.5 hours)

Extended Time & Scope is charged hourly with additional contracted persons brought in (for additional fees)
based upon the needs and expectations of the Client.

Half assed and full assed.

Sorry, just couldn’t resist.

Russell Ray does something similar with several different service levels. Ask him.

“Half assed and full assed.”

I was a member here about 4 or 5 years ago and again around 8 or 9 years ago. Things haven’t changed much. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I think I’m going to use “Standard Home Inspection” and “Home Inspection Plus”. I think this will be fine for now.

Kevin, do you really think it is a good Idea to offer a mediocre inspection report then charge extra for a better report ?:shock:

Just my opinion, but I do things one way and that way is the best I can be and nothing less. Just my 2 cents

Jim

Concise vs. Comprehensive

You need to provide some verbiage/explanation to address the differences and to dispel the notion that a concise inspection is “half-assed”

Lot’s of investors out there want just a concise report that only addresses major items that will affect the ROI for them, while some folks want to know about every loose doorknob, etc.

Nothing wrong with giving folks choice. Just make sure that the differences are well articulated and that you cover yourself (e.g., I would not offer a concise inspection to first time homebuyers)

basic inspection or drive by inspection- $199.00 we will meet or beat anyone’s price
premier members inspection - comprehensive inspection of all equipment and components visible without invasive damage

personally i wouldnt even advertise the cheap ones. just market directly to those investors and let them think you are offering them special pricing or a 4 pt inspection

I’ll take your 2 cents and double it. For many years I have been at the higher end when it comes to the amount I charge. Besides the referrals, I have to spend a lot of time selling my service for that price. There is a % of callers that don’t want to spend that much money. So I am going to continue offering the service I always have but I’m also going to include a service that is more common to what most home inspectors offer around here. Basically the standard home inspection is going to be the same inspection at the house, but not all the bells, whistles and extra services that are included in the Home Inspection Plus.

So these inspections and reports are similar to buying a Ford or buying a Mercedes. Depending on the client, there are some people who don’t want to spend the extra money on a fancy car. :slight_smile:

OK I hear what you are saying, but can you be more exact and specific as to just what you will leave out in the cheap inspection as opposed to the more expensive inspection?. I just don’t get it. I can only do a 1st class Inspection all the time, I don’t think I could ever “dumb” it down even if I tried. Unless you are talking about doing a limited or partial Inspection of only certain components of the home and not an actual complete Inspection.

Jim

No matter what you do, your liability and exposure will remain the same and it could even increase with a Readers Digest reporting format. You will have the same amount of time invested in the inspection, almost the same amount of time reporting and most likely more phone time answering questions with the shorter report format. Since you are in a licensed state you have the same standards and requirements that you have to meet no matter what you do.

I understand that the inspection will remain the same, the cut or savings would be with the reporting. But if you really think about it, how much time does it take to type 6 word vs. 20 words… Really a moot point when it comes saving 10-15 minutes off your reporting time.

I have thought about doing the same, but every time I think about it I just do not see any advantage to doing it.

I think you are going about it backwards…

Instead of stating what you are going to be leaving out of the lesser priced inspections, you should be focusing on what you are going to get “IN ADDITION” with your “PREMIUM” inspection.

I don’t feel like explaining my whole system in detailed so I’ll keep is short and sweet. Price starts off at $275 or $400 depending on which service. The Standard Home Inspection is going to be a report that is very common in this area which the price reflects. The Home Inspection Plus (what I’ve been doing) will have more information, Infrared Inspection, Re-inspection plus a few more things to justify the cost.

Regarding the report writing. I think it depends on how the report is written and what type of information is included. While I know wording is very important, I have been using codes, information from the manufacturer and information that NIPSCO (our local utility company) has given me directly through faxes. Not including that information (which most home inspectors don’t provide in this area) will save me a lot of time. Not including as many pictures will also same some time.

Every year or two I send out feed back letters to my clients. There is a % of past clients that would have used the cheaper service. When I think about feed back and the potential clients that didn’t use me due to price, I would like to give it a try. If I noticed any negative feedback, I can always switch back to the one type of service. It takes me around 2 to 2.5 hours from starting the report to posting it on our website (so far). I can add another 1 to 1.5 hours when providing Home Inspection Plus. Inspection takes about the same or can increase the inspection time by .5 hours with Home Inspection Plus.

I do appreciate the feed back. The Home Inspection Plus is kind of burning me out. So providing this other service is going to make things a little faster and easier I hope.

Again, I know some of you will not agree with what I wrote and that’s fine.

Not as short and sweet as I wanted.

I agree.

1. Summary Report
  2. Full Report

Russell Ray is very good at what he does, and his marketing is first class. I (with his permission) have stolen some of his stuff to put on my new site.