National Certification- Application

[FONT=Arial]CAHPI - [/FONT][FONT=Arial]NATIONAL[/FONT][FONT=Arial] CERTIFICATION AUTHORITY[/FONT]****

[FONT=Arial]P.O. Box 13715[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Ottawa[/FONT][FONT=Arial], ON K2K 1X6[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Toll: 1-888-748-2244 or (613) 839-5344[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Fax: (613) 839-2554[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Email: [/FONT][FONT=Arial]info@cahpi.ca[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Web: [/FONT][FONT=Arial]www.cahpi.ca[/FONT]](http://www.cahpi.ca)

[FONT=Arial]January 5, 2007[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Dear Home Inspector:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]As you may be aware, CAHPI recently implemented the National Certification Program, which creates a national standard for the training, education and experience of home inspectors. Recently, an initial group of 97 home inspectors became National Certificate Holders. While there are more inspectors already in the process of having their applications reviewed, we are opening up the application process to all Canadian Home and Property Inspectors. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Attached you will find an application form, which will also soon be available on the NCA website (under construction). To apply to become a National Certificate Holder, please complete this form and submit as indicated on the last page. Please be advised that applications from individuals who expressed interest in becoming a part of the Pilot Project, but were not accepted, will be reviewed first. In any event, we expect that with the number of applications that are going to be received in the next few weeks, it may take a couple of months before you receive the results of your review. We ask that you bear with us during this time, but encourage you to get your application submitted quickly in order to minimize your waiting time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]We look forward to your participation in the Program![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Sincerely, [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Graham Clarke, P.Eng., RHI[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Chair – National Certification Authority[/FONT]

So now its 97 inspectors from 140 inspectors. I realize some must have failed but if 43 failed and this program is to be self sustaining, personally I don’t see how it can be self sustaining if almost a third have failed. If people are going to apply and pay over a $1K to be tested, thats an awful lot of money to spend to find out you don’t qualify.

Just my opinions, whether destructive, derailing, or otherwise, or commonly known as an observation based on the info provided.

Thanks Bill.

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the attachment? I tried to download the document on Mozilla and Internet Explorer and the link didn’t work.

Hey Bill

I think this could fly if the price for Certification was reduced to about $300. I know I would run out and apply if the price was dropped fwiw.

Are you willing to see if that can be done? I don’t think Nick is interested in have CMI reviewed by the NCA for compatibility, and really hasn’t shown an interest other then an willingness to have you come and speak at the Spring Conference.

To Bill Mullen I find it very poor taste for CAHPI members to come to the NACHI site and post how great they are and to not allow at least NACHI to post our information on one of the Canadian sites .
Some one asked If Bill Mullen would put NICK on his site so at least NICK could give out some info as he chooses .
Seems only fair to me as NACHI has co-operated at all times in allowing CAHPI members to read all that is posted on the open NACHI BB.
How about it Bill M why not put NICK on you BB .
I am sure he would pay the $15:00 you ask for .

Originally Posted by Bill Mullen
*That’s an excellent read and it makes it all the more important that inspectors become properly trained and certified. The three ‘good’ inspectors listed are all full members of AIBQ, which is CAHPI’s Quebec chapter, and all three are National Certificate Holders. Brian Crewe is a Past President of CAHI and Albert Arduini is currently President of AIBQ and a member of the CAHPI Board of Directors.

Good find, Raymond.

Bill Mullen*
Very impressive Bill. I agree with Roy, great words, especially the ones he omitted from your quote. Looks like CAHPI does it again!

Norm :wink:

*Last edited by Norm Smith : 1/11/07 at 8:46 PM. *
Roy Cooke A HAPPY NACHI MEMBER

Wow! CAHPI sure does want to show how they believe in fair play .
They are asking for Home Inspectors to take the National Certification and the Charge is

CAHPI Members … $530:00
NACHI Members $1,166:00
They come to our BB and post this information .
Strange they do not have the courtesy to reply to the NACHI offer of a free Both for CAHPI and their Members to attend our conference at NACHI members rates .
Now tell Me Bill does sound like CAHPI wishes to get along with NACHI.
Sorry it looks like a one way street to me .
You have shown disdain for the NACHI members and expect them to crawl over and join your association by showing that it is cheaper to join OAHI/CAHPI and take the Certification course .
This to me is extortion plain and simple
If you think this is a fair way to run an association I can see no future for the NACHI members even considering trying to take your Certification .
CAHPI again shows they lack the ability to communicate with NACHI and its members.
Good luck but I can see zero advantage of even considering your offer .

Roy Cooke
A HAPPY NACHI MEMBER

That’s a little misleading Roy. It’s not CAHPI members get one price and NACHI another. It’s ANY non-CAHPI affiliated inspector has to pay the higher price. Which is no different than anything NACHI does. Non-NACHI members are charged higher for everything. I don’t see anyone whining and moaning about it. If you want the lower rate, then join CAHPI. You imply that if you are a NACHI member, no matter what you’ll have to pay the higher rate and that just isn’t what it is saying at all.

I went to the ACBQ site and they don’t even have link to CAHPI. What does that imply? Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops.

http://www.aibq.qc.ca/eng/links/index.php

The attachment should work. It is an adobe PDF file. I opened it without a problem.

Wendy

The difference in price is to great to justify your reasoning. The price for certification is over $1000. The reason its so pricey is because CAHPI/National needs funds to keep it self sustaining. That is the only reason.

FYI - I found the following: Home inspection is a unique discipline distinct from that of construction, engineering, architecture, real estate valuation or municipal inspection even when the service is provided by a professional in any of those disciplines.

This discipline demands it own criteria, qualifications and code of ethics. The American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) was created as a non-profit association in 1976, in answer to these needs. Today ASHI counts more than 5800 members in some 80 chapters across Canada and the U.S.

In 1987 the Canadian Association of Home Inspectors (CAHI) now Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors (CAPHI) became a region of ASHI, regrouping 3 Canadian chapters in Ontario, British Colombia and the Prairie provinces. In Quebec, the Quebec Association of Building Inspectors (AIBQ), was founded in 1990 and registered in 1992. AIBQ now counts more than 150 members across Quebec (certified, inspectors and candidates) while more than 700 inspectors are registered throughout the seven Canadian ACIB chapters.

These non-profit associations regroup inspection professionals sharing the same goal of maintaining high standards through continued education and information exchange. Therefore they promote the advantage of a professional inspection by setting a higher bar.

These associations do not have the same status as professional orders regulated by the Code des Professions du Québec and their respective regulations and overseen by a regulatory committee. Professional orders are ruled by laws that determine the rights and duties of their members which is not the case of the above mentioned inspectors.

http://www.aibq.qc.ca/eng/infos/history.php

Ya Nick whats going on. Equal and fair access. Seems Nachi is not being treated equally nor given fair access. Quid pro quo eh!

Boy aint that the truth! Just like Self Regulation in Ontario. A body built on special interest, secrets, infringement of the by-laws and members rights. Now thats a good reason right there for licencing. :wink:

Ray, it has the info to contact CAHPI right at the top of the letter with the application.

[FONT=Arial]CAHPI - [/FONT][FONT=Arial]NATIONAL[/FONT][FONT=Arial] CERTIFICATION AUTHORITY[/FONT]****

[FONT=Arial]P.O. Box 13715[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Ottawa[/FONT][FONT=Arial], ON K2K 1X6[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Toll: 1-888-748-2244 or (613) 839-5344[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Fax: (613) 839-2554[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Email: [/FONT][FONT=Arial]info@cahpi.ca[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Web: [/FONT][FONT=Arial]www.cahpi.ca[/FONT]](http://www.cahpi.ca/)

[FONT=Arial]January 5, 2007[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Dear Home Inspector:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]As you may be aware, CAHPI recently implemented the National Certification Program, which creates a national standard for the training, education and experience of home inspectors. Recently, an initial group of 97 home inspectors became National Certificate Holders. While there are more inspectors already in the process of having their applications reviewed, we are opening up the application process to all Canadian Home and Property Inspectors. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Attached you will find an application form, which will also soon be available on the NCA website (under construction). To apply to become a National Certificate Holder, please complete this form and submit as indicated on the last page. Please be advised that applications from individuals who expressed interest in becoming a part of the Pilot Project, but were not accepted, will be reviewed first. In any event, we expect that with the number of applications that are going to be received in the next few weeks, it may take a couple of months before you receive the results of your review. We ask that you bear with us during this time, but encourage you to get your application submitted quickly in order to minimize your waiting time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]We look forward to your participation in the Program![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Sincerely, [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Graham Clarke, P.Eng., RHI[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Chair – National Certification Authority[/FONT]

Come on Wendy you must be sleepy this morning . I have never seen where NACHI charges over two times the cost of taking any of our courses.
This to me is strictly a one way street no where has NACHI been any thing but complete fair treatment to CAHPI ,offering free both, members rates to the conference free access to our open BB and please just show me one place where CAHPI has been just a little fair to the NACHI members .
The CAHPI members including Bill come on to our site and show disdain for our members

Roy Cooke

[quote=wforsyth]
Ray, it has the info to contact CAHPI right at the top of the letter with the application.

I can not see what you are talking about Wendy
Why did you post this info. Please explain

Roy Cooke
[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]

Hey I just read the by-law for OAHI and I can’t see anything in the by-laws granting any of this nor anything to substantiate name changes or anything else. Why would things be done without ammendments to the by-laws?

Given the fact that OAHI cannot fulfill its obligations under PR 158 and its own by-laws how can it legitimately partake of the National? Decisions have been made behind closed doors without member input. No one in OAHI knows the true decisions because the Minutes of decisions by the BOD have not been issued. Talk about operating in a vacuum.

The fact that 97 people received their certification does not mean that 43 failed anything. As I have explained before, some files were incomplete when it was time to make up the list of Certificate Holders. Nobody gets certified without proper paperwork. Many of the 43 have the right stuff but have not provided the proper documentation yet. Most of them will be receiving their certifications shortly.

The failure rate in the TIPR’s was likely around 10%. Those 10% did not perform inspections and prepare reports that meet accepted Standards of Practice. They have been advised where they should improve. They will be able to try again after three months without paying the certification fee. However, they will have to pay the true cost of processing a person through a Test Inspection with Peer Review and that is $ 250.
This is not a ‘rubber-stamping’ process like some where you merely need to write a check. You must be quailfied and knowledegable enough to get The National Certification. The criteria are common to most associations, so it’s not as if CAHPI invented some new rules or inspection practices.

Bill Mullen

Hey thats just like Nachi CMI, its self regulating too!

But CAHPI did invent patronage! :wink:

Norman

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?p=144479#post144479