National Homes Prefabricated House

I inspected a house with a vertical wall crack above a door and extending into the ceiling for about 30 inches, then it turns and goes to another wall. The crack gets thinner when it turns toward the side wall. The home is built on a slab and has inexpensive vinyl flooring. There is no evidence of a crack in the slab but there is a settlement crack in the front sidewalk. The rafters above the crack had no visible problems. This is a National Homes prefabricated home built in 1955 if that sheds any light. There is a data tag in the mechanical room that says the home was built using the stressed skin principle. Apparently there was shadow molding on the walls at some point according to the data tag. Any help on this is appreciated.

1 Like

What is the question?

3 Likes

that thing is only two years younger than I …at that age You have to expect a few cracks…I see nothing there I would be overly concerned with…

6 Likes

I have wrinkles worse than that.

3 Likes

The question was, is this type of crack serious?

Only seeing that one pic and nothing else, I would tend to believe that it’s a settlement crack that’s happened over a period of time. More cosmetic at this time and as I said, based only on your comment and picture.

4 Likes

Thanks for the responses folks. I didn’t see the crack as large enough to be a problem, given there were no other structural problems found. The buyer had a cow when she saw the crack and I am just looking for second opinions.

1 Like

so You have trouble with reading comprehension also…I’ll say it louder this time…I SEE NOTHING THERE I WOULD BE CONCERNED WITH !!! better ?

2 Likes

Ok, Got it…there was no such question in your post, but rather a nice description of the crack.

Based on the photo, your description of the crack and the age of the home; I do not consider this crack to be evident of a serious structural issue.

2 Likes

I don’t have trouble with reading comprehension James. I read and understood, and appreciate your and Thomas’s response. My last post was in response to Brian’s post, "What is the question?

2 Likes

Thanks for the response Brian

2 Likes

But, you directed your response to Jim…

It takes some time to get used to different forums, tho, Joseph.

4 Likes

Thanks Larry, This is the first forum I have been on. I just realized after Jim’s response that I had replied to him. These come in through email and there is a big blue “Reply” button at the bottom of the page that I have been using. I didn’t realize I could go up the page and reply individually. Learn something every day.

6 Likes

Sorry James, I didn’t intend to direct the question to you. I thought when I replied at the bottom of the page it was a general response. Still figuring the forum out.

4 Likes

Thanks for taking time to provide input Thomas

3 Likes

Maybe they had even more in store for 1955?

1 Like

You might want to check for asbestos siding:

“Sturdy little homes, last forever”.

Thanks Bryce

Note this home is not built a conventional way. Adding outlets or replacing windows is… different.