National Occupational Standards

I am not sure, but I would reference such a comment as being additional work beyond the SOP. Perhaps another case in point - what about “mold”, “thermal imaging”, environmental, or energy audit, etc?

Certainly I see those as additional services or as noted in paragraph two “in addition many Professional Home and Property Inspectors conduct other activities…” - for those (hopefully) properly trained and “certified” to conduct these services.

Some may even debate the issue if push comes to shove regarding the legality or strength of those empowered to “interpret” building code - such as regulated under Bill 124 in Ontario. Are we talking RCA qualifications or just the building code according to the home inspector?

Municipalities currently have several options in delivering building enforcement services including: in-house service delivery with internal or contract staff and joint service delivery with another municipality. Municipalities have another option through the use of municipally appointed private inspection bodies known as registered code agencies (RCAs).

BTW: Would posting it (the NOS survey) on a home inspection website be sanctioned or accepted/kosher?

Actually it was just an observation, but I thought that we have to have a working knowledge of the code as home inspectors, thus my original query, whereas we don’t have to have knowledge of Infrared vis-a-vis building code.

Cheers,

I know no other way to get to most Canadian home Inspectors then the NACHI site.
It seems to be the best place for Information for all.
…Cookie

As Chair of the NOS Review Committee, I say go for it.

Bll Mullen

I’ve got it in pdf formate and can’t add info to the survey. Anyone know how to change this file so I can fill in the survey? Would rather do it this way then send it by fax.
Thanks
Allan

If you have Adobe Acrobat ver. 8 you can fill in the form using the typewriter button. Then save the survey and attach to your email.

I also have it in Word but th NACHI Forum won’t let me upload it because it’s too large. Any ideas?

Bill Mullen

Bill if you have a website and you can upload/download from your server place it on your server and then provide a link here. Or break the survey up into several pages and upload the individual pages as links. I think this board allows upto 5-6 links per post.

I can’t get on my website. Can I e-mail it to you to post on yours?

Bill M.

Sure, but it will cost ya! (only kidding!)

Send to

mailto: rwand@rogers.com

I sent it. Thanks a bunch. I’ll buy you a pop later this week.

Bill

National Occupational 2008 Survey
Microsoft Word Doc.
356kb

http://www.raymondwand.ca/NOSSurvey.doc

Why don’t you email the consultants (listed on the PDF) and ask them to send you a Word version of the document.

Whoops … beat me to it … thanks!

Thanks Ray for the word document link. Worked perfectly. Now sent in and copy to Vern.
Paul nicely done. Thanks both Bill and Claude for your info in past posts. It helped plenty.

Thanks again,
Allan

Thanks Allan. Got your doc. The NOS could be part of the Alberta Regs so it is important that all inspectors in Alberta fill it out and send me a copy so that I know what your opinion is. I can then relay your position to the advisory committee.

To date 61 home inspectors have sent in their replies and comments about the National Standards. If you haven’t done so, please take the time to read the document and put in your two cents worth. There are four weeks left before the survey is due to close.

Paul,

Thanks for making this available to us here. If it wasn’t for finding it on here I would probably never have seen it.

Steve

Glad to be of assistance. I hope you will send in your thoughts if you haven’t already. I don’t know how many of the 61 were NACHI members, but it would be kind of cool if the number of NACHI respondents was high …

If you have not yet completed the survey, please complete it and fax, e-mail, or mail it to the consultants by May 15, 2008. Their contact information is on the survey.