NCA fee announcement

Thanks Bill I and others eagerly await for some of this information that has been coming for a long time … Cookie

How does CD know they meet the NOS? I don’t recall any audit process, they only say they meet the NOS.

About two years ago, an invitation went out to most course providers to submit their course material for a preliminary review. This was even before the pilot project, so that the CHIBO Committee could get a feel for how close some providers were to compliance with the NOS.

Carson Dunlop was one company that responded and they were evaluated at that time. They were told which, if any, areas they were missing and have altered their material accordingly. (see the CHIBO Document that came out in the fall of 2005)

Bill Mullen

NOS Review ](http://www.nca-anc.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=27) Since rules, regulations, techniques and industry standards are subject to change, the NOS is reviewed every 5 years. All home inspectors in the country are invited to contribute their suggestions.

National Occupational Standards – Review
In late 2000, as part of the CHIBO National Initiative, about a dozen well respected and experienced inspectors from across Canada met in Toronto for a full week of meetings to determine exactly what Home Inspectors do when they perform a Home Inspection. What they were trying to establish could be called our ‘Job Description’.

The results of this marathon meeting became known as the National Occupational Standards for Home and Property Inspectors. (NOS) These standards were studied and eventually ratified and adopted by CHIBO and the CAHPI Steering Committee in 2001.
Besides being a job description, the NOS also provided a blueprint for future decisions that would be made by almost all of the committees and councils that have been created as part of the National Certification Program. The NOS are the foundation upon which the entire program is built.

Since rules, regulations, techniques and industry standards are subject to change, it was decided that the NOS would be reviewed every five years to ensure they mirrored actual inspection functions and criteria. Like anything else in life, houses change. For instance, five years ago we hadn’t heard about AFCI devices but now we need to know about them.

CAHPI has therefore contracted a consultant to carry out this review and prepare a report for study and possible adoption by CAHPI later this year.
In the near future, most Canadian Home Inspectors will be contacted through various media to complete a survey and questionnaire. This will be an opportunity for every inspector (CAHPI members and non-members) in the country to contribute their suggestions. When you receive the request, please participate so the review can be as thorough and fair as possible.

For further information contact Bill Mullen by (http://www.nachi.org/forum/).   

Bill Mullen,RHI
National Certificate Holder #NCA00001
CAHPI Past President

Last Updated ( Thursday, 21 June 2007 )

Thanks, Ray:

Is that from the CAHPI site or was it posted elsewhere?

This is another little project that they have convinced me to help with. The consultants should be sending our questionaires or surveys soon. I’ll make sure that they are posted here for all to see and particpate in.

Bill Mullen

Bill

Its from the NCA site.

Thanks,

Information flows when it’s ready. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) all matters needing decisions have to be studied, discussed and voted on before they are official.

If I or anyone else could have just decided on our own what the policies and procedures would be, this project would have been done years ago. However, that’s not the democratic way.

Partial information can do more damage than wrong information sometimes. I know it’s frustrating for those waiting, but it’s even more frustrating to be ‘on the inside’ and have to debate and struggle for every inch of headway.

Bill Mullen

**“If I or anyone else could have just decided on our own what the policies and procedures would be, this project would have been done years ago. However, that’s not the democratic way.”

Of course the “democratic” thing to do would have been to involve as many inspectors as possible in the formulation of this flawed programme. Unfortunately that was not done.

Sorry, George, but any Canadian Home Inspector who was interested in being involved in the formulation of this very successful and fair program was welcome. This all started years ago, long before NACHI was even heard of in Canada. This program created and named CAHPI to administer and mould the earlier policies of the CHIBO committee into a functional product. CAHPI did not create this. CAHPI is the creation.

Other associations, including NACHI, were invited to participate but some, including NACHI, chose not to. CAHPI can’t force any association to participate. At least one other Canadian association outside of CAHPI has asked to be included and talks have begun.

I can tell you that a Canadian NACHI member with no connection to CAHPI (other than being a National Certificate Holder) has volunteered and has recently been asked to serve on one of the national committees. I can’t name him until he accepts the position.

NACHI members and/or any Canadian Home Inspector are welcome to volunteer as long as they show an interest in the program by applying for certification. It would not make much sense to have committee members who don’t believe in the program. Like any program, it only works if those participating do so in a positive manner.

There will be elections for members of the National Certification Authority later this year. That is the most powerful body in the program, and only ‘Holders’ can hold positions on this body. It is not inconceivable that one or more non-CAHPI members could be elected to this Authority later this year. If NACHI members want more say in the program they can sign up. It’s as simple as that. ALL future decisions of the NCA will be made only by National Certificate Holders. Become one and you have a vote. Stay outside and you have no voice. That holds true for CAHPI or NACHI members or anyone else.

Bill Mullen

"This all started years ago, long before NACHI was even heard of in Canada."

Thank you Bill. That is exactly the point. This whole programme was put together years before the explosive growth in inspector numbers, based on surveys and data that is years out of date and of an unacceptably small sampling rate by gentlemen who for a large part are no longer in the business. To say that all inspectors who wanted to be involved, were, is a joke. Although the charge from C.M.H.C. was to involve as many inspectors as possible that was not done and you know it. What percentage of the number of inspectors working today were actually involved? And charging $1,100 dollars more to non-CAHPI members is not the hallmark of democracy to which you aspire.

This faulted programme has thrown a dark cloud of mistrust over the entire industry and every inspector working in it. Rather than improve the view that the public has of us, it has told every purchaser and real estate sales person that the industry suffers a terrible failure rate with no accurate proof. Further the programme has added yet another set of letters and numbers for the client to wade through and the prevailling attitude in the market now is “Who cares?”

And it was all done with the help of our own money in the form of tens of millions of Canadian’s tax dollars. Quite an achievement.

George,

Don’t worry as long as OAHI is at the helm in Ontario in regards to administering the National you have nothing to fear but the corruption of morals within OAHI management.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Licencing yes, National Certification No!

Where on earth did you get that figure ??? I don’t mind people discussing this program and even arguing, but at least use some real statistics, George.

Happy Canada Day.

Bill Mullen

Raymond:

It’s a National program. CAHPI Ontario has some input, but all of the rules are decided and applied by the National Certification Authority. CAHPI Ontario has but one vote on the ten person NCA. To say they control or run the program in Ontario is inaccurate. They will do some subsidiary tasks as required.

CAHPI Ontario, like most provincial associations, will no doubt help with some duties, but only with NCA approval and guidance.

If in fact NACHI applied for and received an Equivalency Agreement, NACHI itself would even qualify to take on some roles. However, it would not make sense to give any duties to any person or group who didn’t wish to be a part of the program.

Bill Mullen

Bill

Yes NCA will approve and give guidance, but the rest will be left to OAHI to administer in Ontario, including discipline. Given OAHI ability to be incompetent and unable to manage its affairs via its charter and by-laws, its a scary thought. :wink:

Please lets all remember that as long as PR 158 in Ontario is on the books it supercedes the National.

Only in some dimensions. National Corporations, relocation companies, and other groups don’t give a damn about Bill 158. It’s all about National Certification.

The defenders of Bill 158 have had thirteen years to prove its relevance and they have failed miserably. There’s a new game in town now.

Bill Mullen

Bill

No arguement from me. The fact is at least one individual who was able to get Pr 158 enacted has fraudulently and continually used it for his own misguided objectives with assistance of a few other over inflated ego’s. The fear factor in OAHI has to be exposed by those who have hi jacked the objectives of the association.

Happy Canada Day, Ray…we’re agreeing !!!

There are now people involved who will not allow the ‘status quo’ to continue. I am aware of some things that are happening already, and the ‘old guard’ is not at all happy. All of the old garbage will stay with OAHI and CAHPI Ontario is going to rise from the ashes.

I too am dismayed that certain individuals have been allowed to hi-jack parts of my provincial association for their own benefit. The educational end of the association is riddled with abuse.

We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it any more.

Bill Mullen

Although I am not directly involved with OAHI/CAHPI Ontario affairs, I do have several friends on the inside who rely on me for guidance and advice.

Bill Mullen

Bill

I am aware that Carson Dunlop has made an offer to provide their training packages to a group of people (can’t say who). CD says the package they offer is accredited for the NC.

Sorry I can’t be more specific I might get in $hit
Cheers

If one pays 850 and meets the std does one get the RHI? If so what is the 300.00 for? If no RHI for 850 but has to pay 300 for the additional inspection to get RHI, then the total is 1150 and that is the same as before.
Please explain?