Near the end of its life?

Would you say this roof is near the end of its life? Its only 14 years old. There was some minor water staining on a couple of trusses in the attic.

Looks OK to me. A cedar shingle roof should last a whole lot longer than 14 years.

It looks like it needs some maintenance, which is a constant on wood roofs but there are many variables for life expectancy.

Can you verify that it is only 14 years old by age of house or a receipt for the job?

More info

Mark,
Is this the same roof you have questioned about in another thread?

Looks good. Note the thickness of the shingle. Good.

http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_details.aspx?contentID=72475

Item 21.

Looks fine. With shakes, you’re looking for widespread decay, usually at the butts, shakes worn thin and eroded through in places with underlayment showing through holes from erosion and weathering. Also many big splits that expose underlayment and create minimum sidelap problems (1 1/2" minimum).

Physically the roof looks good. Though the look of the shingles suggests a need for maintenance to me. Without maintenance the lifespan can be greatly reduced.

Were the stains on the trusses active? If not or it was dry I would recommend monitoring during a rain storm just to be sure.

Looks good from here. Just needs some maintenance as others have stated above.

Some of the ridge shingles look bad, but the rest seem fine from the photos.

Thank goodness this was about a roof, and not about me or other of us that visit this board that are “age challenged”!!

14 years old? Are you sure? Should last longer than that. My cedar roof in central Oregon lasted by a little over 30 years. Finally replaced it, was at the end of its useful life (it had a “living will”), and wanted a fire resistant roof system due to forest fires.

Depending on when it was installed, your climant. determines the life span of cedar, and newer cedar is not quite as thick, as those of years ago.

My advice, have a roofer inspect and certify the remaining life span of the roof. Unless the roof is newer, of in obvious good condition, I defer that (and the liability) to a roofer.

Many of us are age challenged (I get social security and medicare). One thing about newer cedar shingles/shakes; they are just as thick as the older ones. The difference is that the resins in the old growth cedar are more concentrated than what is now available (second growth stuff).