NEC 210.52 & peninsular counter

Would appreciate if someone could clarify the following issue: Does a peninsular counter also constitute a wall space? In other words, must a peninsular counter comply with 210.52(A)? Or does it ONLY have to comply with Section 210.52©?

That would be up to the person doing the interpretation. If the peninsular is being used to separate specific spaces, such as a fixed room divider then possible as defined in 210.52(A)(2).

However, if the space is simply a peninsular counter, it has the required receptacles per 210.52(B)(3) and is purely designed as a counter then many AHJ’s would not consider it a fixed room divider.

My rule of thumb is this - If the peninsular has a seating counter then it is a peninsular. If it does not and it is dividing one defined area from another then it is a room divider and I install accordingly.

Wrote this quite a few years ago now…might find helpful

When does a peninsula not divide something? In many cases is delineates the cooking area from the seating area of the kitchen. IMO the requirement in 210.52 that included fixed room dividers is poorly written and ambiguous leaving it open to a broad array of interpretations.

I think that one thing is clear, it is not a wall. :smiley:

So are knee wall not a wall…lol

Personally I would not want it written any better than it is…I like leaving it up to interpretation.:twisted:

Now dividing a room say a kitchen would to me not be a divider at all…simply a counter. If it divides up actual areas, lets say a kitchen from a living room or kitchen from a nook or kitchen from a dining area…then I will call it a divider.

I like my way of interpreting it better;)

I’m not disagreeing with your interpretation I just dislike giving the AHJ license to make up his own stuff. :roll:

I know…just razzing ya.

The word “approved” is starting to run wild in the NEC…as it expands even more into the language…We just love 90.4