Need advice and help to feel competent at inspecting

Originally Posted By: glenn martin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi Friends,

I passed the Home Inspector exam and joined NACHI. I do not feel competent in performing inspections yet. Can you tell me where I can go to gain competence in the inspection process? I live in San Bernardino California which is in southern California. Is there any place I can shadow an inspector or attend classroom or online school that will suffice. I do not want to just sign up for any online school if it will not give me the skills necessary to feel competent.

Your Help is appreciated,

Sincerely,

Glenn Martin

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Glenn,

Your honesty with skill level will help keep you out of courtrooms. I tagged around for close to one year before I felt ready to go at it alone. I still have no idea what I’m doing. icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dharris

Glenn

ITA has a school in ocean side

I took there home study course and a couple of there day courses,

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

It takes years to feel confident - and on the flip side - too much confidence can lead to complacency. I might suggest that you do a web search of “onsite inspections”. These are learning opportunities that can help alleviate some of the anxieties of performing inspections.

In Ontario - Canada - we offer them and take the participants through a full-day session from how we perform the inspection, to giving the participant an opportunity to perform one. we follow up with a critique of potential concerns and improvement areas for the participant.

Additionally we go through tools, inspection tips and how to handle the inspection - (inspection protocol).

These sessions are always very popular and normally full. Expect to pay in the range of $100 to $200 for the training.

Experience is the best teacher......
Regards, Claude in Windsor Ontario - Canada
South of Detroit!

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

Glenn,

If I were you I would ask a few friends and relatives who are homeowners to do a practice inspection. This can boost your confidence and help you to get a feel for what to look for. It gets easier after each one. Good luck!