Need advice regarding client asking for a discount

P. S. My inspections that are priced above $500 (which is most of them), I always offer a $20 discount for cash payment. About $60% of the time my customers pay with cash. :moneybag:

1 Like

Yes, on occasion the owners will buy us a round of drinks or a bottle of wine. I have a couple of receipts that they gave us the employee family discount. It is never expected but always a nice gesture. And to Chucks point we tell a lot of people about the place.

Edit: it was @jjonas not chuck that I was referring to. Brain must have stalled for a minute.

2 Likes

I don’t mind giving a small discount to repeat customers. What I do mind is the Realtor who calls and asks for a discount every time (as if she’s the one paying). I haven’t heard from her since I suggested she discount her commission!

3 Likes

Two weeks ago I had a customer who was referred by his brother who I inspected a house for a couple years ago. I offered him a discount for being a referral and for paying cash. So the inspection goes well and we talk a lot and at the end when our job is done and it is time to collect $380 cash he counted out 5 $100 bills from a roll and thanked me for an awesome inspection. Total BOSS move. This guy is my BAMF of the month.

7 Likes

IF you did a good job and they value your time, they won’t expect a discount.

2 Likes

I give a $50 discount on all return clients.

2 Likes

I give a free receipt to every customer…

1 Like

Some clients I done a small commercial inspection for were very happy with things, wrote the check for $300 more, and told me to take the family out for dinner! :grinning:

4 Likes

Dang Junior! to get a tip like that you must have been wearing your short shorts.

3 Likes

It was a surprise for us! There are some nice people in the world! :grinning:

1 Like

10% or $50

I love cash customers there are many of them that will count out a roll of $100s and when you reach in to give them the $5, $10 or more change, they say keep it. Coming to end with the “all cashless society” they are pushing now. It is usually the older generation that does this. (at least in my area). Great when you get whatever tip they think you deserve.

I pass this on to food service people. Great service should be rewarded! And the person that brings you a $7 burger and fries deserves just as much as the person that brings you the $30 Surf and Turf. The percentage of the cost of the meal makes absolutely no sense…

3 Likes

And all too often, the reverse is also true!

2 Likes