need help converting to computerized reports

Originally Posted By: greg jones
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been doing hand written reports for 4 years. I am contemplating switching to on-site computer generated reports, but I am worried about the time it takes to complete the inspection. I have gotten my time down to 2 to 3 hours doing hand written reports depending on the size of the house. I really like the idea of computerized reports because of the professional look of the report, but I am afraid it will take a lot longer. I have read some comments from other inspectors stating it takes as much as 4 hours to do an inspection with a hand held or computer. If I have to cut my inspections down from 3 a day to 2 a day, I ‘m going to lose a lot of money over a years’ time. Is there a simple software that is easy to generate a report in a reasonable amount of time? I am terrified to make this switch, but I think I need to catch up with the times. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Greg Jones Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: dbowers

2 a day is a good goal - charge more.

Originally Posted By: rsonneson

Have been doing onsite computer reports for about 2 years and I do not believe that they take any longer than a good handwritten report. At first your time will be longer just like any time you change report styles but after you get use to the computer report it will be no different than you written report. When I first changed to computer reports I practiced at night for about 30 full reports prior to even trying to do one with a client present.

Bob Sonneson

American Home Inspection Technologies

Originally Posted By: charper

Greg,

I have been doing computerized reports for 2 years. It seems to me that I actually save a little time now over the hand written reports. Computerized reports at first might slow you down, but as time goes by and you learn the software it’s the only way to go. They are so much more professional looking and include digi pics. I use HomeGauge Software. I thinks it’s the best. Very customizable. Go to their web page and get a free 30 day trial. www.Homegauge.com.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

For some reason I can’t see doing onsite reporting…takes me 3 hours at least to do an inspection, and another 2-3 to come home and do a report…can’t see a client waiting around that long. I guess if you have a PDA it would help . Heck it takes me 45 minutes to download all the pics, resize, and put them where I need them in the report.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: charper

Kevin,

I use a laptop with Homegauge software. Pictures are instant and I can insert them anywhere in the report. The software keeps me on track and I don’t miss any areas. Most of my clients prefer and request on-site reports. If I inspect an older house I do ask for an extra hour or 2 to make sure that I have everything in the report. My reports are also available on-line 24/7. Eliminates faxing and mailing.

Charlie