Neutral and ground in mobile

I inspected a mobile yesterday that I am unsure about the ground.
The panel in the home, the neutral and ground are not connected, which is great if this is the sub panel. There is a meter shed where there is a hundred amp breaker, but I do not have access to that box, due the meter. In the yard, there is a big junction box (not sure what it is called) where I would “expect” to see the neutral and ground connected.
Where should the and ground connection be found in this mobile setup?
Thanks for your time.

At the Main Disconnect

2 Likes

So in the meter box in the first photo?

Yes, :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Ok. that brings around part B of my question. I inspected a mobile in another park today.
It also has a main breaker in the yard. The junction box HAS the neutral and the ground connected. Is this wrong then? Or is the first one wrong? Or??

Everything looks fine to me.
What do you think is incorrect about it?

2 Likes

If you start at the top of the thread to look at the photos, the mobile I inspected yesterday does not have the neutral and ground attached in the junction box and the mobile I inspected today does. Both main switches I have no access to open up. So which of these junction boxes is correct? Should they have the neutral and grounds attached in the boxes here or in the main breaker switch boxes?

Kaitlan, the GEC (grounding electrode conductor) must land between the service point and the disconnecting means (main breaker(s)), usually on the grounded bar/terminal or the grounding bar if there is a bonding jumper cable between the two). So the junction box with the bonded grounded/EGC conductors would be incorrect. Because the grounded conductor is bonded in the junction box downstream of the main disconnect, the EGC now becomes a current carrying conductor, not good.

@rmeier2 @jmilby is there an exception for this for mobile home installation?

2 Likes

Ok thanks. That makes a tonne of sense.
Much appreciated.

Kaitlan, it would be helpful for you to learn the difference between a service, where the neutral and ground are bonded, and a panel where the ground should be isolated.

Simon, not that I am aware of.

Correct…

I was taught that the 1st point of electric disconnect is called the service disconnect (grounded, or neutral conductors, are bonded with the grounding, or bare conductors), and everything down stream is called a remote distribution cabinet/panel, where the grounded and grounding conductors are separated, with the grounding conductors bonded to the cabinet/panel.

I hope this helps you, Kaitlan… :smile:

1 Like

That’s correct.

So you guys and saying there is something wrong with this setup?

Yes the neutral is bonded at a point past the service disconnect also it looks like the GEC’s connect here as well.

So that goes for a junction box between the service main and the sub?
I would have like to have seen how the sub was wired.

Yes and good question on the sub wiring.

The could have very well been isolated at the sub.