New and nervous inspector

TBH, im poor. I work in a restaurant barely making ends meet, which is why im still a guest. ive done the coursework, state exam, business license, insurance, etc…

Career change into the construction industry should be considered, this is based on your honest assessment of having difficulty with defect recognition.

3 Likes

Morning, Ron Wittschen. Great meeting you. Welcome to the InterNACHI forum.

I am sure we where nervous to one degreed of another.
Lots of members at the ready to help you move forward.
Keep plugin away.
Regards.
Robert Young

1 Like

I have to agree with Brian. Try to get into the construction industry. IMO, at this time, HI is not a wise career move for you.

3 Likes

Absolutely the best advice for anyone considering home inspecting. Home buyers generally prefer an inspector with a construction background. This is a huge marketing tool to have. Yes, construction work is physical work. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s also well payed work with demand for workers. But understanding both the structural components and the building science components of a home is what the buyer expects to find in a good HI. There is no shortcut to that knowledge.

4 Likes

wow, “get out of this field” isnt the advice i was expecting …

Ron

Most inspectors have a background in construction or home remodeling.

Even with construction experience, it takes a couple years of inspection experience to really feel proficient at inspections. And even then there’s still a possibility that you miss something.

2 Likes

That’s not the advice you are getting. You are being advised to get a thorough understanding of building construction and building science. You need that to be a good HI. Listen to the experts here. Those responding here so far are the ones you want to listen to.

You can get it with a lot of study (and expense), or you can get it in the construction field while being paid. You said “TBH, I’m poor”. It seems that paid experience in the construction field is practical for your training, vs the expense of getting training.

As I said, there is no shortcut to having a good knowledge base. Your initial goal is to get construction experience. Next is to run your own business, maybe a construction business. Then take on home inspection.

In your field, the dishwasher doesn’t suddenly become the head cook or restaurant manager. Same with HI.

3 Likes

That is very impractical. I’m 50+ and to go into a physical demanding job, start my own construction business as you put it, just isn’t going to work here. Sure, if I was 19 and had years to kill that might be an idea, but not here.

That would be extremely unusual to only find two issues on not one, but two different inspections.

I’m only a few years in, but I think the least I have found would be in the mid to high twenties. The vast majority of homes are in the 40 - 60 range and I have had a couple that have reached into the 90s.

Well, that is what they are supposed to be doing. That is actually their job, lol. You shouldn’t make up issues just to fill a report, but you should also not say, “Well I have 50 in my report now so they got their money’s worth. I think I’ll just gloss over the rest of the house.” If you are doing your job correctly, the client is “getting their money’s worth” no matter how many items make it to the report, even if it is just one or two.

2 Likes

If you have the drive to get in to this business, you will figure out a way. In absolutely no way is it like being an employee. You either have the drive or you do not. If being 50 is an excuse, you won’t make it. If being poor is an excuse, you won’t make it. If being unable to get financing for start up is an excuse, you won’t make it.

Keep your day job. Get certified for radon testing through the NRSB. It’s much less complex than HI. You’ll have to finance $3000 or so for training and monitors. $50 of each test goes to your financed expenses, payed back after 60+ tests. Promote your radon testing business to realtors and inspectors. Now or later, get certified for radon mitigation and do that for more income. You’ll be able to charge for 2 radon tests plus the mitigation system.

Mold and termites; same. Even consider appraising, especially if you’re in a big town. All these allow you to keep your day job.

Most important, you’ll be making good contacts in the right places. As your studies advance in HI, branch out to that. Over time, quit your day job.

You either have the drive and passion to make this happen, or you will make excuses and fail. “There’s no try. It’s either do or not do” (Yoda)

I’m done holding your hand…

3 Likes

Ron private message me. I’ll be more than happy to allow you to do ride alongs with my guys.

Ron, contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or farther, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring or hiring.

Here is the link for CMIs: Find a Certified Master Inspector®

And the link for CPIs: Find Certified Home Inspectors Near You - InterNACHI®

And Mentors: Home Inspector Mentoring - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Also, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions e.g. 15 Steps to Become a Successful Home Inspector - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® Master Class for Home Inspectors . And there is the new training cards app Chris Morrell, our CEO, offers: New training app for home inspectors

And there is the Helpful How-To Videos - InterNACHI® for many other things. And the InterNACHI online education page: How do I navigate the InterNACHI online education page? | InterNACHI FAQ

2 Likes