New Certified Master Inspector qualifying worksheet.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I posted here so non-members can join in on this discussion:

http://www.nachi.org/cmiformula.htm

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: tallen

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Why? I kind of think being code certified shows both commitment and competence… no?

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Agreed! Thats not what I meant.

If someone can answer yes to #5, well the rest is kinda silly

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Oh, I see. You mean you weigh it heavily? I agree. Perhaps we should raise it’s multiplier. Some will argue that a home inspector and a building code official have little relevance… but I agree with you.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Please explain your reason for posting this!!??

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Very Cool!! Great job Nick.

Harvey Gordon

SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President

hgordon@fl.nachi.org

So, your score is your NACHI rating? Whats the point???

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

Number of years in business? 1 x 1 = 1

Full Membership in NACHI? Add 25

Licensed as a home inspector by state or province? Add 10

Passed NACHI?s Inspector Exam? (with score of 75 to 90 enter 1): Add 20

Completed NACHI?s Ethics Obstacle Course? Add 15

Number of battery operated inspection meters owned? 5 X 2 = 10

Use a pre-inspection agreement? Add 12

Use computer software of any type to generate your report? Add 5

Earned a high school diploma? Add 2

Have a website dedicated to your home inspection business? Add 2

A required score of 100 to be a certified Master Inspector. The above totals to 102 and these are very basic. I bet every NACHI member could meet the above or so close that all would be CMI's

No weight = No value = ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: pdacey

#s 18, 26 and 30 have no place being on the list. They have nothing to do with being a master of anything.

CMI, should not be attainable for everyone. The requirements should be difficult, very difficult. Only about 20-30% of inspectors should be able to to qualify for it. If it's within reach for everyone, it has no meaning or value.

To become a master in any of the trades requires years of experience and training. This should be no different.

I've been inspecting for 2 years. I easily qualify for CMI based on this check list. I am no master by any means.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

of 2500 fee paid inspections performed.

A master inspector should need to be very proficient in the nuts and bolts of inspecting and in the communication of his/her findings. I see little or nothing about the communication area.

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

Member, Working Member, CMI Member . . .

Let's all just be NACHI. The Elitists can create NASHI, the National Association of Superior Home Inspectors.

BTW, why is this in there:

Passed ASHI?s Code of Ethics Exam? (if yes enter 1):

![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif) ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Nick:

This is not a CMI, this is more marketing. I just went through the list and answered Questions that pertain to entering the business on day number 1.

Total score 81!

These are basic FULL NACHI membership requirements. This thread needs to be moved to members only please.

CMI exam in development. Lets get it going!

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: dharris

gromicko wrote:
I posted here so non-members can join in on this discussion:

http://www.nachi.org/cmiformula.htm

As a non member, I have to ask how can you make a discussion out of your new marketing gimmick ? If you want to be recognized as a creditable HI org start will valid qualifications,verify current and enforce current requirements prior to attempting to be superior to others.The president and a couple members of your org answered it best.

PS: If you want additional requirements to make a new superior inspector qualification, another suggestion would be, require all NACHI members read www.nonachi.blogspot.com The LARGEST Home Inspector Blog in the world.

Originally Posted By: eporter

Battery operated inspection devices?

Computer software usage?

Member of the Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce?

Licensed as a home inspector by state or province??

Licensed as a home inspector (not just business license) by county or municipality?

Not a bad start, but it needs a lot of work. The first three on my list are competely irrelevent to any designation.

The last two on my list shouldn't be included because it costs inspectors points if they are not in an area (state or county) that requires licensing.

--
------------------------------------------------
"Inspecting this home like I'm buying it myself."

Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: wjung

Nick,

with all due respect, I think the evaluation for CMI status, as it stands, is laughable and will do nothing more then confuse the consumer. However, more importantly it will provide more fodder for the NACHI detractors. I was born and raised in Germany took my initial apprenteship as heating and sheetmetal technician over there and I must say, to attain a MASTERS designation is a lot tougher then what you are proposing and thereby in fact has meaning once an individual has attained that level. In order to attain a masters level in my past trade I would have had to complete my journeyman’s license (4 years) that included minimum 1 day per week in trade school, then spent time working as a journeyman (2 years), then continue for another period of time (2-3 years) including more weekly trade school and a final master piece of work for my masters license. As you can see in order to attain that level in a trade I would have had to spend 8 - 9 years of training and working in the trade. To just start adding up a few numbers with whatever given multiplier is ridiculous and as I stated laughable. In my opinion, Blain is thinking a little more on the right track, if you where to take your system, remove a number of point that make no sense or have no bearing on an individuals ability, add a requirement of a minimum of 2500 inspection and a minimum of ten (10) years full time in the business you might be looking a lot better. However that would also most likely cut the CMI designation down to only about 20% - 30% of the membership, which it should do for this type of designation. However, by doing so you may now have elevated its meaning and status way beyond what is currently being offered. If you were to then federally trademark and/or license that designation so it can only be attained through NACHI you may in fact attract a lot more individual to this association in order to attain such a designation.

Best regards

Wolf

How about starting with something more like this:

Minimum 2500 fee paid inspections.
Minimum 5 years performing fee paid home inspections
Must pass a proctored CMI exam

Add in whatever from there, ICC certs, FHA certs, other affiliations with higher standards, extended continuing ed standards to maintain, etc.

How can we measure defect recognition?

How can we measure communication of the results to the client?

How do we prove that the CMI designation guarantees a truly exceptional home inspector and home inspection?

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Not sure that I would state minimum to be 2500 inspections AND 5 years in the biz…after all there are thos areas in the country that inspectors will only do 200 in two years because that is all the market has.

Why not something like this:

Minimum
2,000 Inspections, or
5 years in the business, and

A minimum of 40hr paid HI School attendance, or
2 years related and verifiable industry experience, and

Be a member FULL Member of NACHI in good standing, and

Carry GL and E&O Insurance, and

Be licensed in their State/City if required, and

Then anything else is really OK within reason.

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: wjung

Blain,

if an individual works at doing 250 inspection a years (which may not be sufficient income for some) it would take them ten years to fulfill the 2500 required fee paid inspection. That however would make the five year doing fee paid inspection redundant, so making it a minimum 8 - 10 years may be more in line.

As for writing a proctored CMI exam, there are individuals that are exceptional at writing tests and others who couldn't save their lives if they had to write one. Therefore the exam, although a valid point may become redundant.

Defect recognition may be measured by an examination of let's say 200 photos of known defects that have to be identified within a given time limit this exam should also be proctored. You could also accept current defect recognition courses and exams that have been administered/proctored by other associations.

Communication skills can be evaluated by applicant members submitting their reports for peer review, which would have to meet a set standard of communication, but yet be written in a manner so that the client (layperson) can understand your recommendations.

As for providing guaranties that every CMI is exceptional I believe is impossible since even the best inspectors have bad days and none of us are perfect. I feel that the only assurance that can be provided is that CMI's have met standards that no other designation is offering.
Best regards
Wolf

hgordon wrote:

Why not something like this:

Minimum
2,000 Inspections, or
5 years in the business, and

A minimum of 40hr paid HI School attendance, or
2 years related and verifiable industry experience, and

Be a member FULL Member of NACHI in good standing, and

Carry GL and E&O Insurance, and

Be licensed in their State/City if required, and

Then anything else is really OK within reason.

Personally, I don't like the years at all. 5 years at 100 per year is only 500 inspections, which is still rookie status IMO.

School attendance or verifiable industry experience should be a minimum to even enter the field, not for a "master" status.

GL and/or E&O has nothing to do with being a master inspector. It is a business decision.

You can't do business if you're not licensed where it's required, so you therefore couldn't be a master in that case either.

CMI, if done, needs to be difficult. No gimmies.