New Certified Master Inspector qualifying worksheet.

Originally Posted By: Dave Bottoms
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Dave Bottoms wrote:
I'm surprised no one has pointed out that unless each and every item on the CMI checklist can be verified, it is absolutely meaningless to anyone..

I think that goes without saying.

Originally Posted By: wjung

Harvey,

at a 100 inspections a year I would consider an inspector to be working part time and as CMI that should not be acceptable, regardless of geographic location. If you are part time you don’t qualify. I have never seen master tradesmen working at their craft part time.

Based on your requirement of a minimum 2000 inspections at 250 inspections a year it would take you eight years to meet that requirement. So, the requirement should be eight to ten years in business with a minimum of 2000 - 2500 fee paid inspections plus licensing if its a legislated requirement by state, county and/or province your business is located in.
Best regards
Wolf

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

As with Nick’s other comments and posts, this is simply another marketing ploy by Nick. And another way to discredit NACHI as a valid, reliable org.

If I or any other member of NACHI was continualy doing this type of harmful posting we would not be tolerated ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I picked the 100 number arbitrarily but we should probably do a survey of inspectors and then set the bar high enough so that 25% or less qualify to make the designation meaningful.

Reminder: NO QUALIFICATION EVER MEANS you are a qood inspector. No one has magical powers to make this determination. Passing exams, experience, equipment, education, etc... are all nothing more than indicators... which is really all anything can do... indicate.

NACHI gets dozens of valid consumer complaints about licensed, experienced, members of national associations who have been in the business for many years. This alone is proof that all the exams and licenses and experience and memberships PROVE nothing. There is no PROOF. There are only indicators.

A CMI formula (like the one I propose)... one that weighs and factors every indicator... is a horrible method of determining competence... but it is the best system anyone ever came up with IMHO.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: hgordon

wjung wrote:
Harvey, at a 100 inspections a year I would consider an inspector to be working part time and as CMI that should not be acceptable, regardless of geographic location. If you are part time you don't qualify. I have never seen master tradesmen working at their craft part time.

How can you say that? There ARE many locations throughout the US that inspectors are also the local pest control guy and firefighter...your point is ridiculous Wolf!

Be real, I have over 3,000 but that does not stop me from understanding that Fort Lauderdale does not exist everywhere.

I understand that practice makes perfect, but just as in any "sliding scale" system, we need to remember that all cities are not created equal!

Be realistic, if a market can only generate 250 inspections a year, that's 5 a week...how do you consider this part time? I know guys who do this full time, in markets where they are thrilled to get 3 a week!

Guys, we need to look at this realistically and again not be ASHI minded...meaning that we use this as a "club" designation.

I agree that there need to be controls and standards, but not unattainable but for a select few.

Wolf, I am not sure of your market but me I cannot do more than 10 a week and know I did a good job...that would mean that I could do 520 a year..so 1040 in 2 years...are you saying that I am a bad inspector not worthy of CMI...get real. I smoke most ALL inspectors here in South Florida (NACHI brothers excluded).

Just my 2 cents.

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: wjung

Harvey,

I honestly don’t know why you get your shorts into a knot, at 250 inspection I would consider a guy doing fine. I will not do more than two a day and only if I have to. However, your math must be off because even averaging three a week over a year will bring 150 inspections a year. So when you look at it that way 100 inspections is less than three a week and that to me is part time I don’t care how you slice it and if the guy is also the local fire chief, pest control officer and garbage collector he most certainly is part time. As for being a club I don’t think so, I know a lot of journey tradesmen, but not even a handful of master tradesmen. Does their designation as master tradesmen make them special? You bet. If NACHI creates a Master Inspector (CMI) designation you better belief it will be special and only 20% - 30% of the current member may attain that level. However that doesn’t mean it’s unattainable all that’s needed from an individual is that he put in the time just as he would have to do with any other profession or trade that has a master designation. Do you think that trades who use master designation work on a sliding scale because of the location you live in? I don’t think so, if you want the master designation you must either travel to get the business or be satisfied with a journeyman license. It’s called life.

Best regards

Wolf

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Wolf,

If there is one thing in life I have learned it is to have grace for those who require it, and to not get wrapped up in pointless arguments.

Your post shows me your level of maturity..."my shorts"?

In the end, the one thing that I know about NACHI is that we are not hardline. If anything, that is the SINGLE reason why most of us who make up this organization first joined...most probably even yourself, but I will not presume on your intentions sir.

In any case, I have stated my point. I understand yours Wolf and please do not feel that I don't. The beauty of this organization is that we each have the freedom to believe as we wish.

Much success to you.

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org