New CMI Requirement

CMI is still young. John has just given it its addition. and i think as it grows the requirements will get higher. You have to start some where and i think we have a good starting point. My suggestion is if you can pass the bar. Join and try to raise the requirements from the inside. If i were Nick or John I would listen to my membership before any one else.

Henry, it would not be fair to raise the bar by recommendations from inside membership, it could be construed as a means to suppress competition by making it harder for them to attain CMI status, than it was for current members. The standards should be set by someone with no personal interest. IMHO

The CMI organization is starting a new era under John’s leadership.
We have had a major change ONE DAY after John took the reigns.
As an organization evolves and matures, change is inevitable. Not all changes will coincide with the beliefs of all within the organization and certainly not with any of the critics outside the organization. There is a reason that some choose not to become a part of the organization, but change will ONLY come from within the organization itself. We can line up many critics to take pot shots, but what is the point of listening to them. NONE! Some people just feel like they must be heard, because their opinion is sooooo valuable.
I see some that post with an emotional response to this subject. If the CMI evokes such emotion from you, please join, and do some good. Otherwise can’t you find something else to complain about, or are you just voicing your sooo valuable opinion.

So, Ken
would you let Congress set the eligabilty for entrance into NACHI?

Hank I hope CMI does grow into something meaniful I am not trying to put anything down. When you become president of a org be it new or not there is no cinderalla time given this is a tough BB.

Just look at past posts who does the most answering to questions posted CMI’s or just us nobody’s. My way of thinking if you are a master you should take the lead.

I see a lot of answers to post that just make me laugh and yes some from CMI’s I make some stupid replys myself.

Just to mention a few guys on the answer end of this board that have my respect and should be considered as CMI’s if not already.

Mike Larson
Will Handley
Brian Kelly
David Valley
David Anderson
Paul Abernathy
Dale Duffy
Jeff Pope
Jae
Marcel Cyr
Carl Brown
Tom Dietrich
Doug Edwards

And I could probally list 20 more guys that Really have their crap together just drawing a blank at the moment but I will add you to my list

[quote=cbottger]

I would think John means 3 years experience in addition to the other existing requirements. It is no doubt an effort to ensure that teaching professionals and or educators with no field experience will not be able to obtain the CMI designation in the future.

Sounds quite logical to me…

Hey John,

Have you posted this thead on the CMI bb? It would be nice to get this information out to all inspectors, regardless of association affiliation.

Nice start!

You are right there has been a lot of B.S. talk, questions and answers. with no leader ship to put things in perspective. Hopefully John will take an active part in CMI not like the last Prez. We have enough CMIs out there to make a CMI stand out and get rid of the bugs. But it could not be done with out leadership. I am not Prez material but i can sure as hello help John.

Ken

Henry, it would not be fair to raise the bar by recommendations from inside membership, it could be construed as a means to suppress competition by making it harder for them to attain CMI status, than it was for current members. The standards should be set by someone with no personal interest. IMHO

That is the is exactly the point. When you hold a designation you don’t want someone to get in that is not qualified and tarnish your image. So you work to raise the bar. Or would you let all the 95.00 inspectors in?

This post just proves that John M. is our man. John done more in one day than Rowan did all together. Great Job, John!

I agree. Perhaps you should consider joining the ranks of the designated CMI and drop your NACHI dues. Look at the benefits:

1. No more annual dues.
  2. No more annual testing.
  3. No ID requirements.
  4. No attend a chapter meeting requirement.
  5. No committees to contend with.
  6. No CE requirements.
  7. No requirement to belong to an association or society.
  8. Less Vendors involved.
  9. Insurance Breaks.
  10. Prestige.
  11. Power.
  12. Promotional Prowess.
    *]Prominence.
    NACHI is obviously not concerned if you drop your NACHI membership and dues for the CMI organization. NACHI in fact, encourages all of our members to join the ranks of the CMI organization as soon as you qualify.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement

John Bowman’
How often do you shed you skin

Too bad you don’t qualify, John. We could use the fresh air.:wink:

I know of engineers who have taken hundreds of hours of HI courses and still
failed the TREC test the first time around. Yet they were masters in their field.

I know a master electrician who is like a child lost in the woods when it comes
to knowing the wide spectrum of details that a home inspector has to know.
Yet he is a master in his field.

My point is… home inspectors are unique, in that they are called upon to
examine the masters of several trades and professions. But, the masters of
other fields cannot step out and do the home inspectors job correctly. So
lets give the home inspector a little credit.

The word “master” stirs images of many things and yet none of those
images describes the job of a home inspector. CMI is defining that
meaning within a reasonable frame of reference, right now.

For every master electrician you show me, I can find one who does
crummy work. His education and years did not change his lower nature.
There is no guarantee that CMI will be Gods gift to man. But we
are seeking to raise the bar to a level that will recognize a worthy
achievement.

All the other requirements are still in place. This was added to
qualify a more mature CMI, so that a book worm might not slip in,
without field experience. I think it will be a benefit.

The main thing now… is for all CMI’s to raise their prices and market
this thing like it needs to be. CMI’s have something to be proud of.

BTW… I don’t get my feelings hurt.
The NACHI forum is a pleasant mental excesses for me. I enjoy
the debate. I enjoy watching a man tell me what he believes.

I told Russell, the new NACHI VP, that his welcome initiation on the
NACHI forum is kinda like getting beat up in the school yard by
several boys at one time. They all like you in the end, if you don’t
start crying and running home. We had a good laugh about that.

I am thankful that we have something positive to look forward to now,
instead of wondering if the whole CMI thing was going to be flushed
down the tube by someone’s personal marketing schemes (notice I
did not mention anyone’s name).

Hey, I am even getting mail now from some who have changed their
mind and are talking about becoming a CMI, just because we are
pushing this thing in the right direction. I am excited.

I cant quit NACHI. I’m the prez of the Southern Colorado Chapter. I have to be a member to do that. Thats one way some CMIs can help other inspectors. And our chapter encourages other association members to attend.

Your efforts to exaggerate do not make a good debate… but reveal a
dormant resentment, that if allowed to express it self openly, would get
you in trouble. It’s a miserable life to die an embittered old man.

Nick created and promotes CMI… so why would you mock and
attack it? Your digging a hole my friend. Nick is not dumb enough
to create CMI, if he had an ounce of concern that it would hurt
or hinder NACHI members. Your suppose to be part of the team John.

John
You can tell Russel along with all the other venders that they are welcome to Log in and advertise on the CMI MB also. Anything related to home or building inspection is welcome http://www.certifiedmaster.com/forum/index.php?

Nothing is meant to mock or attack the CMI orgnization. Never will this CMI Program hurt NACHI. And as far as Nick is concerned, you will have to ask him. I (unlike others) do not speak on his behalf. But IMO he wouldn’t care. Follow the money and look at the NACHI numbers. Hell, we kick more people out in a week with the “Dead Wood” project, than we would ever be concerned with the CMI organization.

It is truly a great benefit and money saver for any inspector that is qualified.

Sure will.

OK… it’s nice to hear from your other side now.
I like this side of you. Please don’t turn the channel.:wink: