New form and pics

I’ll take the easy one first.
If it is a commercial property or a five-plex where 90% of the roof is flat, it is a flat roof.
On a single family dwelling, this will not apply.

You only have to measure a roof if you plan on calling it a hip roof and there are non-hip roof features present. In most instances, a flat roof, a real flat roof not a metal roof over a screen room, will turn the home into a non-hip roof.
The whole reason for this measurement, if I read the studies correctly, is not to penalize individuals with dutch hip or dormers.

As I said in another thread, if it isn’t a true hip roof, it probably is going to end up being a non-hip roof after you measure it.

And, an update on my 3 1/2 year old son…he is still 100% determining the difference between non-hip and hip!
50 for 50 on the way to the RenFest today!:cool:

So a dutch hip is a hip? that is crazy. I guess they did not see all the crap that got trashed durring andrew.

From the CLIB class i went to you have to count the hip portion of the Dutch hip as gable and it has to be measured.

FYI - there is another CLIB sanctioned class being given at the FABI seminar the weekend of March 17.

If it is less than 10% of the total roof perimeter, whatever type of roof it is, the roof will be classified as a hip roof…according to the form.:wink:

Ok lets simplify this, bottom line EVERY roof shape is measured and added in on EVERY home?? measure only flat roof systems if it is LIVING space??

If you want to waste yur time measuring every home, go ahead!:smiley:

If you have a home that has a gable end on one side and a gable end over the garage, you would more than likely have at least 25% of a non-hip feature and since that is greater than 10% of the total roof perimeter, it will be a non-hip roof. There is no need to measure it.

If you have a house with a flat roof at the back that is half the length of the entire rear portion of the home, that will be over 10% and again, no need to measure it.

It would be my opinion, and again, just me, that the only roofs you are going to have to measure are ones that have dormers or small dutch hips.

The pictures below are of the same house, but just pretend they are two different houses.
What type of roof is on the home, according to the form?

Alfonso (3) (Custom).JPG

Alfonso (1) (Custom).JPG

The form requires you to state the measurements of hip and non-hip shapes. You may get some rejections if you don’t put down the numbers.

The only time I would not fill in numbers is if it’s 100% hip. I’d write 100% on the form where it asks for a number.

Only requires measurements for hip or sqft for flat…other (or non-hip) doesn’t require it.

Thank you Preston…I am pretty sure that is what i said.

I thought so too…

Only if you are justifying a ‘Hip’ roof!

If you can see ‘Other’ roof shapes greater than 10%, mark ‘Other’ and move on.

I am pretty sure I said that too…:cool:

Yes you did, and so did Preston. I figured I’d say it one more time for an echo…:slight_smile: