New free online inspector exam. Interactive learning tool.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Today NACHI released a new home inspector examination. Like the old one it is free, online, and open to all. This new version has built-in intelligence providing interactive learning features.

http://www.nachi.org/bestexam.htm

Enjoy.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jremas

none of my user/passwords work with this…do we have to start all over??

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Nick, I just took the new exam the reporting system on the back end of it is a great leap forwards in helping inspectors to analyse their weaknesses I am happy to report I passed icon_lol.gif but less happy to find out I’m still weak on air conditioning

Jeff, I'm not sure that the new exam has the member database from the old one, you may need to re-enter your info.

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Just took it and I think it is too easy. I had to double click on some of the answers because it did not put the dot in it. I quickly clicked to the next question before I realized it on a few and ended up with the wrong answer because it did not register. 20 minutes and a 93 is too easy in my opinion. I did not like some of the questions, they were to vague or overly simple. This is why I have been pushing to have a published source for all questions. Still my opinion…

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

before he was famous. After the movie became a big hit he was hired to write the screenplay for the Godfather 2. This time he was worried. He was very famous now and didn’t want to screw up. So he bought a book on how to write a screenplay. He opens the book to read the first page and sees: “If you want to see an example how to write the perfect screenplay, read Mario Puzo’s Godfather1

Hi Jeff, I tend to agree with you that the test is relatively easy, but it is only intended to be an entry level test, and as such I think it performs reasonably well. Hopefully when we have on-line education up that will include testing as part of each element, and those questions will not be so generalist, one of the issues is finding questions, then validating them before including them in the current test. It all takes time. If you or any other member has time to write questions I know that Chris would be happy to validate and include them.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Jeff, I think you only answered 84 percent of the questions correctly (only 9 percent above the old failing mark). You scored higher because you correctly answered those questions that you really do need to be able to answer correctly to be a good home inspector.

Put another way. This new version has a scoring system which magnifies your abilities or lack of. I suspect that the average failing grade and the average passing grade will drift further apart.

PS I think I am the smartest guy in the world ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) but many of the questions I submitted had to be eventually removed because they were too easy or too hard. Objectivity is a mothe#% &%#@*!

Nick

The weighted system of this new exam mathematically allows a veteran inspector to pass by answering fewer question correctly than another person who failed it and has no business being an inspector.

There is only weak correlation between the percent of questions you answer correctly and your score.

It is really intelligent.

Nick

NACHI’s Becca Levine has finished writing our Standards of Practice/Code of Ethics Exam which should be online soon. It of course is very NACHI specific and all questions come from those two sources.

Nick

Let’s step it up a notch with another level exam. If we have an entrance exam, let’s create another tier. It can count towards CEUs.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Two other cool things about the new exam:

1. It statistically minimizes the effect of luck. A lucky examinee must not just guess correctly but also guess correctly on the questions that are weighted heavily. I suspect that deviation of scores from immediate repeat takers will decrease.

2. It helps me sleep at night. I must have a soft heart (a weakness I admit). Almost 1/2 the people that want to join NACHI are turned away because they can't pass the exam. These national stats are posted on our web-site. Some guys call and beg. One even cried. I have to explain that with their current state of knowledge, they shouldn't be inspecting homes.

This new version magnifies ability or lack of. In other words, I now have more confidence telling someone who passes that they deserve to be an inspector (Jeff R. scored well because he deserved to). More importantly though I now have more confidence telling someone who failed that they deserved to... and should first join a lower-qualification association like ASHI.

![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Nick

Hi Jeff be careful what you wish for icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Looks like I pushed a button with Nick. Nick, you must type really fast to put out that amount of info… biggest response I have had yet. I Always like to show things from a different angle or position even if it is not my own personal opinion. It tends to prepare you for most replies from others.

Gerry, be careful? why!!?

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that the exam is free. I appreciate that we even have an exam of our own. I appreciate the time and effort being put into it from all. I just found it a little too easy in comparison. I took an open book test for the ICC to become certified as a residential building inspector using the 200 IRC as the open book reference and still found it to be a very difficult test. Yes I passed but I really had to work for it. The deeper you dig to find answers, the more you learn.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Hi Jeff, my response “be carefull what you ask for” was based on your previous post the on-line training and testing related to that is what I think you are looking for, and ir will be allowed towards educational hours. I hope that exiting inspectors will find it interesting and that new members find it hard. We should be working all the time to increase our personal knowledge and to raise the bar for all inspectors.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Gerry and Jeff:

Chris built the foundation of this exam so it supports anything we want in the future. We can have an unlimited number of exams with varying levels of difficulty. Feel free to think outside the box. We should be able to do whatever you come up with.

The next one I have in mind will be super cool. Mostly an educational endurance test. Did you ever see that Clint Eastwood movie where he has to go thru a police exam where civilians and criminals pop up and he has to shoot the criminals and spare the civilians?

I want to build a virtual home which has pics of defects and pics of non-defects (just plain old pics of the home). As you go thru the virtual home, if you see a defect, you point to it and click (shoot), then you choose from a list of possible defects.

At the end, the virtual client gives you a virtual check for $789.00. The client is single, cute, and asks you out.

Members only.

Nick

PS Notice I did not reveal the sex of the client... doing my best to be PC.

Perhaps Chris can add a growling dog and a bitc# real estate agent to give it a feeling of reality.

Nick

I know someone who is friends with Clint Eastwood. I will see if we can get his permission to use his likeness. When John Wayne died his son Michael made his likeness public domain. Maybe we can use the Duke. Or perhaps we’ll give the option. Some might want Roddy McDowall. icon_wink.gif

Nick

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Gentlemen and Ladies (Teachers all)

I took the new test the other night. Not knowing what I would find that was different then the old one. I was very happy with what I found. For those of you that find the test easy I think that is great but, I think you have to remember NACHI is made up of all different backgrounds in this business and many different levels of expertise. For those that think it is to easy that tells me that you are miles ahead in your knowledge base. For those that find it hard are just beginning. I would be nice and a lot of work for someone to make a series of test that would challange the different level of knowledge. I have spent a lot of time on this site and will continue to do so as YOU ALL have been great teachers to me with you comments and explanations. The pictures you post are very helpful as the old saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words" please DO NOT stop sending and posting. Maybe some of you with the experience could make up something on different levels so we can all learn to be the best at this business.

Again I want to thank Nick for putting together this organization for the betterment of us all.

Lee Trower

Originally Posted By: Russell Stephens

It will not accept any of my usernames or passwords.