New guy in IL

Originally Posted By: roman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi there. I’d like to get some info from y’all if you don’t mind.

I'm considering taking the home inspector course at a local jr college near me. IL requires licensing, so I guess this is a prep course (60hr) for the exam.

My first question (although I'm sure it's pretty relative) is how likely am I to learn enough from such a course to actually be able to do the job.
I was a paramedic a number of years ago, and most of the classroom training I received was tossed out the window when I got on the job. Is it along the same lines with this home inspector training?

Second question, how much tag-along time with a working home inspector will I require before I could do the job solo? Again, it's a relative question, but a ballpark answer would do.

Third question, what kind of earnings could I expect? Inspectors around here charge ~ $400. How much of that goes to overhead (and what kind of overhead costs are there). Did you guys start off working for someone, or went solo from the start?

Thanks in advance for any info. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Roman,

Where in Illinois are you located? You mentioned that a while ago you were a paramedic- what other work experiences do you have. I'm from Ill. and was a residential home builder for 30 yrs before taking the classwork. My son-in-law had minimum experience and works for a major manufacturer in Information Tech. and he took the class w/ me. He passed and we passed the state test as well. He has been doing inspections w/ me when schedule permits. I won't kid you, unless you have had some building or build related experience, it is tough to get up to speed. My e-mail is build@rickhinck.com if you would like to chat privately.

Rick
Heads Up Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: mbartels

I agree 100 % with Rick.

60 hours is about 1/100th of the time you need for training to do this right.

I recommend going to your community college and taking all the classes for electricians and apprentices, HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, and whatever else they may have that has to do with the various building trades. Then after all that, go to the inspection course and learn the proper way to perform a home inspection. Oh yeah, read every book on everything. You will never stop studying in this business. After all this you can go on some ride alongs if you feel the need. I never went on one myself. I have no clue how other HI’s inspect a house. Maybe that’s why my customers are so happy?

To back up my reply I would ask you if you would feel comfortable telling a licensed contractor, electrician, HVAC guy, plumber, that have been in the trade for 15+ years why what he did was wrong when you call them out. That kind of knowledge does not come from a 60 hour course.

Unless your name is Russel Kirk and you have 60k to invest from the get go, don’t plan on making squat the first year or two or three. There are some that will tell you different but they are the exception and not the rule. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE GET RICH QUICK SCAMS. This is the same as any other business. It is not easier than most, it is much harder.

With that said…

GO GET EM! icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: roman

rhinck wrote:
Roman,

Where in Illinois are you located? You mentioned that a while ago you were a paramedic- what other work experiences do you have.

Rick, I'm in the Chicago area. My wife is a real estate agent, so I know a bit about real estate by proxy. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Thanks for the info, guys.