New home construction

Originally Posted By: fmagdefrau
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Before I can inspect new homes in my area I have some requirements to meet,

1. I have to pass the National Home Inspectors Exam (ASHI's EXAM)
2. I have to have 250,000 in e&o and general libility.
3. Become a licensed home inspector in my state.
4. Obtaine a resendental builders license (Pass another test)
5. Receive certification from the ICC or any other code organiztion. (Pass another test)
6. Be approvide by the Mississippi Home Inspector Board.

Does this go toward countinuing education ?

Frank

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Hi Frank,

Are these requirements that you mentioned from builders or your state?

Most training that you do (such as formal HI schooling) in preparation for the National exam and licensing is part of your beginning education. I'm not familiar with the Mississippi HI laws and licensing requirements. In Illinois (at least a couple of years ago) when I got my license I had to send my certification from my HI school along with my license fee. Then you must obtain a minimum (depending on what your state requires) number of continuing education every year.

If you are inspecting new construction, I cannot emphasize the need for you to get as much education (and certification) as you can for this area of inspection. It is very different from an inspection of an existing home.

Hope I've helped you out somewhat. Specific questions for your state should be directed to them. Just remember that education is important for all levels of inspectors. Having those types of credentials and taking continuing ed. will only make for better inspectors!!!

Respectfully,
Sue Cieslewicz

Sue, let me re-ask my question in a different way

Does passing the EBPHI, ICC builders and ICC certification exams go towards continuing education for the NACHI ? Which are state requirements not some builder.

I don't understand why you think new homes are different from any other homes. You still have the same guide lines set forth by the NACHI, ASHI and most states. Is there some special Standard of Practice or Code of Ethic that's different from homes age to the next that I may not be aware of ?

Please, I just want to know if all theses tests I haven taken will go towards my continuing education that I do need.

Frank

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Hi Frank,

The eligibility of the classes that you have taken would have to be determined by your state and the department that oversees the licensing of home inspectors. Each school/instructor is usually registered through the state (at least that is how it is here in Illinois). Again, you would have to check with your state to have them determine eligibility.

As far as new construction homes (and I should have clarified this in my prior post), they're different in that if you're doing phase inspections, you should have a very thorough knowledge of construction techniques and have a good grasp of codes, be familiar with new materials and components. Inspecting a new construction is usually the "last stop" before the purchase. Everything has to be right so the buyer doesn't have to go up against the builder to get it there!!

Respectfully,
Sue

Just noticed in your post that you indicated NACHI (for your continuing ed.). You should email Gerry Beaumont for that info.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Frank,

Neither Sue nor I (I think I can include Sue here) can tell you if those classes will work toward NACHI continuing education, that may be something Joe H. needs to respond to.

However, THEY SHOULD apply.

As to your other question, "I don't understand why you think new homes are different from any other homes. You still have the same guide lines set forth by the NACHI, ASHI and most states. Is there some special Standard of Practice or Code of Ethic that's different from homes age to the next that I may not be aware of ?", those other guidelines are MINIMUMS, and for NEW CONSTRUCTION, you will want to know code and apply code. That is why your client has you there: "Is my NEW house constructed properly?"

These are different than a resale, where you are just basically checking to to make sure that everything IS STILL okay. It is a bit difficult to say it IS STILL okay if it never was okay, so we have to waffle a bit on them.

On new construction, that house should be in the best condition it will ever be in.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry, Sue,

Sue, thank you for your advice and time you spent informing me how I should stay on top of my profession I could not agree more. Its good to know that there are inspectors like you to give are profession a good name and service.

Home Inspectors are not code inspectors. However since at least I had to become one in my state I guess I am in some strange way, although I am not employed as one. If a client hires you on the very beginning of the construction to over see the full construction of there home which is why one hires a builder in the first place then yes Jerry,Sue I see your points. However most builders will build allot of spec homes then they go on the market for sale (at least that is how it is here in Mississippi) then clients call a home inspector to make sure the home is in the best condition it will ever be in mainly because they don't know the builder or they want that extra peace of mind knowing this choice they have made is a sound one just like on older homes. New construction inspection are not different from other inspection.

To say A new home inspection Is a home inspection is to say that's what it is in the first place. That's the waffle.

I belive anything can always get better if you work at it Jerry.

Sue thank you for telling me about Gerry Beaumont.

Thanks to both of you for you advice and input towards my question.

Frank

Frank,

I'm surprised that not "real" answer to your "real" question has been posted.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

You have lost me again what are you saying now ?

Frank

fmagdefrau wrote:
Jerry,

You have lost me again what are you saying now ?

Frank

fmagdefrau wrote:
Does this go toward countinuing education ?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida