New home 'stage' inspections

Does anyone have familiarity with conducting Stage new home inspections. And willing to share. I can see where this might not be a very profitable venture as part of a Home Inspection business. People may think they can call you for advice frequently or expect you’re their consultant. The only way I’d want to do these is if it’s understood that there is a set fee for each trip out, a short report and phone call.

Have no idea what you are talking about.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard of a stage inspection. Are you referring to a draw inspection?

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s referred more often as “Phase” inspections. @alloyd2 use the Search function provided and type in " Phase Inspections." This may be more insightful as to what others have already posted on the subject earlier.

1 Like

Thanks Thomas. Yes, I meant Phase inspections.

1 Like

It is best if YOU REALLY know your stuff if you’re going to do these.

4 Likes

@lkage is right! There is no hiding in these inspections. Everything is visible and you are responsible for it.

As far as fees go, I charge the same as a home inspection for each phase, foundation, pre-drywall and final. All the same.

I tried offering phase/draw inspections in my area. The reimbursement was such a pittance at $35 a visit it wasn’t worth it.

1 Like

Larry is spot on in my opinion, and while I hate turning down business, I know I’m not qualified for these type of inspections. I think you definitely need a strong construction background to be able to point out issues in a framed home to the point that you can charge for it.

Wow, just wow.

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s input. Yes, a lot of responsibility. And on top of this, you’d be expected to know the codes in the particular location where the home is. Think I’ll stick with regular home inspections. In many jurisdictions the city or county has their own inspectors that know what the codes are etc.

1 Like

Wise choice Albert. Unless you have all the credentials to qualify you as certified in all building aspects of residential construction, leave it be. Too much liability and not worth the pay. IMO…

That is where they always start. When I tack on mileage, I’m getting $150-200.

1 Like

I bet you know what a country mile looks like😊I love it out there.

1 Like

Pretty crazy around here right now. 10 inspections this week, 1400 miles.

That is the typical fee paid for a “Field Services” provided “Draw Inspection” from the many National Companies providing them.
They like to target starving newbie inspectors, part time agents, small town appraisers, etc. I have heard of some of these paying as low as $8 - $15 a pop, and some are clamoring for the work!!
Search this MB archives. You will be astounded what you find.

To do inspections on new home during construction is not for most people. You need to know, and I mean totally know, how homes are built, what the local codes are, product details and manufacturers installation requirements for the thousands of parts in a home. Its not like walking through a finished home and seeing if the garbage disposal is leaking. There is a big difference between home inspections and passing judgment on foundations and framing or the actual plumbing and wiring in a home.

Whew! For a minute there I thought you were wanting to verify that the Staging Co. was placing the furnishings in the proper locaions and clarences!! :wink:

I think a draw inspection for the bank or loan agency is merely to verify the percentage of work is completed. For example, the GC may want to draw 25% of their construction loan, so you need to first find out what is included in the construction loan (house, driveway, out buildings, landscaping, finished basements, etc), and then verify if they are 25% complete of that work. You are not verifying that that 25% is proper, or meets code, or is in any way correct…just that the materials are there and they are installed. At least that is what the contract read in my area to do draw inspections, and they were willing to pay $50 per inspection.

On the other hand, I think a phase inspection is where they actually want you to verify that all construction work appears correct, like to check all the rough in plumbing and rough electrical and framing before they install the drywall. Some locations don’t require you to pull trades permits or just don’t have code inspections, like rural areas, or poor areas that downsized the building permit office and the code inspectors. So home owner wants peace of mind that house is being properly built. That requires a whole different set of rules than what home inspectors look for, so basic home inspection training would not properly prepare you to do those inspections. In my opinion, you would definitely need to have construction experience and or additional training. And the cost for that inspection would be closer to the cost of a home inspection.

Good points George. Thanks for that.