New Home Walkthrough Inspections

Recently was contacted to do a new home inspection. Builder had no problem with it so long as I (and my home inspection) was not part of the final walk through inspection between the builder and the buyer, that I accomplished it the same day as the final walk through inspection, that their superintendent had to be present, and that a copy of my report had to be given to them (builder) upon completion of my inspection. Have done multiple inspections of this type and had no problem.

Buyer was also wanting me to walk around with her during the builders walk through inspection to make sure things were done “Right”, Builder said no, my inspection was not part of his and that anything I might find had no bearing because the house and any defects found were already covered by a full 1 year builders warranty and that their inspection was only to introduce the house, and its operation / functions to the buyer. Buyer and builder are still in a little battle over issue.

Questing??
What problems / methods have some of you used in this situation to do the contracted inspection but also meet the requirements of the client.

The standard of care that is typical around here depends on the cost of the house. We have new homes from $80sf to $500sf.

My inspections take into account the standard of care experienced. ie. tract homes/production homes are just not going to be anywhere near perfect. I still report “major cosmetic issues” with these.

When the client wants me write up certain things on low cost homes, I tell them that they will have to put it on their list, my list only covers the items I feel are non-typical.

What price range, cost per sf is the house?
I know builder reps do not want us to participate in their little walk through, song and dance, and I agree with that. They actually provide some good info to the client on these and the client needs to listen up.

Tell your client that they should concentrate on one thing at a time.

The best method is to inspect a day or two before the walk through so the client can have your report in hand during their walk through.

IMHO, back out slowly.:slight_smile: If I understand correctly, the only sticking point is your presence at the builder’s walkthrough. I feel that disagreement is between the builder and their(also your) client. You are being granted your full inspection that the buyer can be present at if they wish. I would agree with keeping the 2 seperate. Try to inform your client of these facts. The builder is correct, if there is a 1yr warranty. They will immediately have to rectify anything you find in your inspection anyway. I also would recommend an 11mo new home warranty inspection be suggested to your client to catch any possible problem before the warranty burns out.

IMHO you should try to make your client understand it is fine for these to be 2 seperate events, in fact I would prefer it that way. (do you want the builder arguing with everything you are trying to teall the client, WWWIII):cool:

Bruce posted while I was typing, sorry Bruce, but on this point I must disagree, “that their inspection was only to introduce the house, and its operation / functions to the buyer.” If that is the purpose of the walk through and the client is not being asked to sign off on the home, then I feel defects found by an inspector have no place in the conversation. You were hired to handle the builder over defects not the client trying and starting a large fight as they do not understand the defects or possible fixes. IMHO only.

That’s virtually every new home inspection that I have done. My inspection, and the builder’s introduction to the home, are two separate services, so I appreciate them not taking up my time introducing the buyer to the home while I’m trying to introduce the buyer to the defects. Consequently, I have no problem with it.

If I find anything wrong, the superintendent gets on his phone and immediately calls the appropriate person to come fix it while I’m there.