New homes use more energy than those built 30 years ago.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

New Homes Tend to Use More Energy

( February 9, 2004) -- Homes built between 1990 and 2001 use more energy than those built 30 years before, according to the Energy Information Administration, an arm of the U.S. Department of Energy.

Despite better insulation, highly sophisticated window technology, and fewer air leaks, new homes consume about 92.7 million Btu of energy annually.

Why? DOE's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy attributes the trend to larger property sizes and the tendency of wealthier homeowners not to worry about energy conservation.

Source: Home Energy (02/01/04)

Originally Posted By: kpapp

Nick, What are your thoughts on doing energy efficency analysis in the home insp industry?

Is it covered by E&O
What kind of training is needed?
How much is the normal charge for doing such an analysis?
What is the actual call for doing such testing?
Is the analysis testing regulated by local, state, feds?
Can there be $$$$$$ made in it?

Thanks Ken

--

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Kenneth here in California the Law says quote:

Section 25401.7 of Calif Public Resources Code states that at the time a single-family residential dwelling is sold, a buyer or seller may request a home inspection and that a home inspector shall provide contact information for entities that provide home energy information.

Section 7195 of the California Business and Professions Code states that if requested by the client, a home inspection may include an inspection of energy efficiency.

I have been a Certified HEERS rater with Energy Check Up for about a year. I haven't performed very many inspections but give out a brochure with each inspection and if they ask I will perform the audit. I belive that I saw a link to them in NACHI,s affiliates page check them out if you are in the wright area it may be some extra $$$$.

Originally Posted By: kpapp

Thank you Rolland icon_lol.gif

If you dont have time to do it right the first time, When will you have the time to go back and fix it?

Originally Posted By: poffenberger

I’ll bite…

Not quite sure of the scope of your question, seems no -one else is nibbling..
Larger homes ,less basement, more crawl space.
Builders putting in 80%ers w\ 5 ton blowers,Instead of 90%w\ smaller
motors properly sized A\C and zoning .
Electrical demands above and beyond years of 30
Can you remember sitting near a register hoping the furnace would turn on.......
I sure can... And we didn't have it all that bad...
There is not a doubt in my mind, that people of yesterday were more willing to sacrafice than ???? JUST a THOUGHT