New Inspector needs advice

New inspector. First inspection is tomorrow. New construction. I was contacted by the realtor to do this job for the client. Sent the pre inspection agreement and invoiced the client and was paid. The inspection was supposed to be a week ago but the floors were not done and no appliances. I went by the house today to check and still no flooring or appliances. Realtor says not to worry because they will be new and she has not had a problem before. I feel what’s most important here is that the client would most likely want an inspection of his completely finished home, floors and appliances included. I want a happy client and a happy realtor. How should i handle this situation. Talk to realtor again or call the client? Such a rookie.

I would perform the inspection as scheduled tomorrow and note in the report everything that was not completed and/or installed. With photos of those items.

1 Like

What Chris said. ^^^^^^^

What Jeff said^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the advice. Get ur done.

I agree with the others, to some extent.
I would also inform your client, that if they wish that the other items that were not ready for the inspection the first time, be inspected after they care completed, there will be an additional charge. Also, that any previous items inspected, will not be reinspected.

And, when I informed my clients of incomplete items not being able to be inspected, and return fees, the odds are good they would request that we wait until everything was ready.

I would certainly give them the option to reschedule.

Be sure you go back to inspect the flooring installation—“new” is the problem despite what the agent says—and inform your client in writing that moisture related problems may not be apparent right after installation. Flooring causes a lot of headaches for builders, as the NAHB makes clear.

According to R. S. Means “Residential & Light Commercial Construction Standards,” some common defect allegations (in abbreviated form) include:

-imperfections in the underpayment from patches, debris, nails, screws, etc that show through the floor covering;
-the effects of moisture variations on carpet, vinyl, or wood installed over a concrete slab, where testing is recommended if there is any suspicion such moisture conditions exist;
-hardwood floors are very susceptible to moisture damage and the material should be delivered to the site 72 hours in advance to acclimate and the wood isolated from contact with concrete;
-wood can also fail if it comes in contact with high, wet grade against an exterior wall, even if the floor has a good horizontal membrane.

Other installation problems with hardwood flooring include:
-joints staggered in a way that’s not visually pleasing
-excess shrinkage;
-buckling from expansion;
-poor layout resulting in narrow pieces against the walls;
-uneven staining or finish;
-chips, cuts, etc;
-hammer or other distress marks;
-exposed fasteners and face nailing.

Vinyl and tile defects include:
-joint lifts in vinyl due to inadequate adhesion;
-mastic oozing through joints;
-failure to align for pattern;
-narrow pieces against walls;
-waviness in vinyl;
-physical damage.

The majority of claims on carpet are from improper installation, resulting in excessive stretching or seaming, as well as poor fit around jambs and other protrusions.

I hope this isn’t too obvious, but may in part add something to what you already know.

I think of it this way…, If you were that home buyer, when would you want the inspection performed? Go ahead with your gut feeling.
It’s YOUR business’s reputation that must be maintained.

Communication with your paying client is always best. It might save you a return trip requiring you to inspect the items not installed or ready. Then communicate the clients wishes to the listing and selling agents.

You are working for the buyer, your client not the agent. Ask your client how they would like to proceed and give them the options.

1 Like

Do the correct thing. At the end of the day YOU got to make the decision as the inspector, and at the end of the day YOUR on the hook.

Turns out the client was fully aware of the situation and i moved forward with the inspection as scheduled. Documented everything in the home that was incomplete, wrote a quality report and at this point all is well. I appreciate everyone’s advice as it pertains to this situation. I will be returning to do a final walk through inspection to assure the client that everything reported on has been taken care of properly. Thanks again to all my fellow inspectors who take the time to share what they know to those of us who don’t. Priceless!!!