New Jersey Licensing

Originally Posted By: phinman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Since the passage of the licensing law extension there has been talk of the law changing.

As you all know we have always asked that the fate of new inspectors be taken out of the hands of those presently holding the licenses. New inspectors can only enter the business by getting mentored and supervised by their future competition. We all know this will not work!

We have proposed that the mentored inspections be handled by the schools and the 250 "employed by" be eliminated. A peer review process would be acceptable.

Full licensure should be granted after the finishing and passing schooling, mentored inspections and passing the national exam!

During the past year or so I have been involved in the HI business as a new inspector and as NJ NACHI President, I have gotten many emails about the problems new inspectors have faced. I am now getting them from licensed inspectors who are not sure of the regs and are scrambling to meet their CEU requirements.

The laws have been a problem for those trying to get into the business and now the regs are causing angst for ALL!

I welcome all recommendations to the changes needed to make BOTH the law and the regs work.

For example if you got your NJ License in December or even January of this year you are still required to obtain 20 CEU's! With the extension in place till 12/05 what a burden you are placing on yourself if your get your license with little time left before the April deadline! Many will not meet the requirements!

Why can't this be looked at and changed.

Another example- If you have a home inspector's license you cannot perform septic inspections any longer! A fellow HI attended our last meeting and let us know about this quirk!

Please let us know about any and all of the regulations that are having a negative impact on your business or employment and we endeavor to have them corrected.

Below will lead you the pdf file, compliments of njhijobs.org, which has both the laws and regulations. If you are a HI in NJ, this is required reading

http://www.njhijobs.org/NJ%20HI%20Laws.pdf

Please contact me through this message board or by phone of any problems you are experiencing that may warrant the legislature to review the regulations or the law itself.

Phillip R. Hinman
President- NJ NACHI
609-828-6315

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Phil,

Look at NY Legislation and propose that the NJ law mimicks it.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: cjustus

I hate this state with a passion. I still dont understand it. I just entered the business not to long ago but I am a NJ State licensed Fire Inspector, NJ State licensed Building Inspector, A Municipal Housing Inspector, and currently in school on the road to getting my NJ State Fire sub-code officals License and my NJ State Construction Officals License.

This doesnt qualify me to do home inspections????? I can read and release blue-prints, issue certificate of occupancy, do fire inspections, enforce local and state laws on building construction and fire safety, I can also write summons and bring people to court and if needed have them put in jail, issue permits for construction, Enforce State housing laws, etc.............

But I cant do a simple home inspection in this state? This is just wrong!!!!
How about people who having been building or designing these homes? They arent qualified?

I have had it with this over-regulated communist state of NJ

Time has come for some noise and I am going to be the one to do it.
The excrement is about to pass thru the fan blades

Wow!

Sounds like myself in Sept of 03. We have come a long way and hopefully changes are on the way.

With your energy as with others we can make a difference!

Come to our meetings, support our endeavors and fair legislation will prevail!

Phillip R. Hinman
President-NJ NACHI

BTW check out www.njnachi.com. Just started but much more to come!

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Chris,

Sorry to rub salt into the wound, my friend, but it is obvious to me that you are not even close to having the requesit skills, trainng, or general knowledge to enter our profession.

Where do you get off comparing life and safety qualifications to what we do every day in the Home Inspection Industry.

The certifications, qualifications, experience, and training you mentioned are impressive, but have noting to do with home inspections. Perhaps you could lobby the Licensing Board to give you some miniscule amount of credits for these certs, but nothing more.

I'd strongly suggest you enroll in a training school as soon as you can, and maybe someday, if you work very hard, you can get an associates license, and join the search for a licensed inspector to pay to perform inspection for.

That is the process. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

... Sorry for the sarcasm, but the situation you folks find yourselves in in NJ is ridiculous...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

We now have our own web site here in Jersey

www.njnachi.com

Visit often!

The site was set up by NJ NACHI member Mike Almeida nad is being adminstered by NJ NACHI secretary Jim Hand.

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI President

Originally Posted By: cjustus

Sorry guys, I can be a little passionate about certain things and this is one of them. It just bothers me to know that its the people from ashi that have their hands in this NJ cert thing.

Believe me that I do believe very strongly in Certs. Very important to the industry, however, I dont believe in making it so difficult that a lot of inspectors in this industry who have a passion for what they do will have to hang it up. That is sad.

Today a bill was given a number but the body of the bill is not available.

The bill is A3983 and it say below-

"A3983 Changes licensing requirements for home inspectors"

The sponsor is Neil Cohen and the co-sponsor is Vincent Prieto.

Stayed tuned for the details!!!

Phillip R. Hinman
President NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2004/Bills/A3500/3983_I1.HTM

This bill passed the Assembly subcommitee yesterday 8-0.

A debt of gratitude is due to MAB member and NJNACHI president Phil Hinman and the 20 inspectors (both NACHI members and non-NACHI members) who showed up and voiced thier concerns at the comittee hearing and especially Lorraine Hutton of the HICAG.

An audio transcript of the Assembly Regulated Professions and Independent Authorities Committee hearing on this bill is avalable at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/archive_audio2.asp?KEY=ARP&SESSION=2004
Click on the May 12th session, this bill starts at about 19 minutes into the session.

Next, on to the full Assembly and Senate.

Tomorrow S2503 is being heard before the Senate Commerce Committee in Trenton.

S2503 is the companion bill to A3983 which proposes to change the requirements to be licensed in New Jersey.

The bill proposes 180 hour course which includes 40 hours of field experience to get a NJ License. It will also take the licensed inspectors out of the process!

If this passes it will license many of our NJNACHI members who have been stonewalled by present legislation, myself included.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/committees/senate.asp

Anyone interested in helping our cause should contact the Senate Commerce Committee members. They can be found and emailed at the above site.

The Senate needs to know that the present system if enacted will severely impact the real estate marketplace in NJ. There will be no more than 500 licensed inspectors by 12/05 and the present system has produced 50 Associates Licenses and 1 full license after 3 years! The shortage will continue for years to come! Most people agree there is at least 800 full time inspectors needed. There is upwards of 1100 practicing at this time.

Please support this bill

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI President
MAB Member

Earlier today, the New Jersey State Senate and Assembly voted on the bills to change the licensing requirements for Home Inspectors. Through the wisdom of our elected officials, and the diligent work of NJ NACHI president Phil Hinman and many other active and prospective inspectors and the persistent help of Lorraine Hutton of HICAG and many others, the bills passed.

Bill A3983 passed the full Assembly by a vote of 73 to 4.
Bill S2503 passed the full Senate by a vote of 33 to 3.

This is a huge victory for Home Inspectors, and most importantly, consumers. When this is signed by the Governor, the statutes will now allow qualified persons to be able to apply to become licensed Home Inspectors. The home buying public in our state will now be able to confidentially hire fully trained, tested, qualified and insured Inspectors.

No one will be able to deny otherwise fully qualified Inspectors the ability to receive or maintain a license because of who they chose to work for (or not work for) in the past.

I will post more on this subject in the coming days, but for now, I wish all who will benefit from this good legislation to acknowledge the great personal risk that Phil took to ensure that this necessary change could proceed. He started the path towards this end publicly, on this message board and with the the help of many others, he had succeeded against a very well funded and organized entrenched "Society". And although many others have helped, by being the lucid and intelligent "face" of the needed changes, Phil deserves a debt of gratitude.

Thank you Phil.

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Congratulations, Phil, and all who supported these bills. Two big legislative victories for NACHI inspectors in one day. eusa_clap.gif

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Congratulations Phil.

Your hard work and persistence are greatly appreciated.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Great News!

Govenor Codey signed into law today A3983/S2503 revising the protectionist law that was on the books in New Jersey.

The law now says that to become a home inspector you must:

1. Be of good moral character and have a high school education or equivalent

2. Complete 140 hours of classroom study

3. Complete 40 hours of field work with a licensed inspector (not mentored inspections). The schools will be responsible to provide the field experience and the licensed inspectors

4. Pass the national exam

5. Have E & O insurance-Minimum of 500,000 per occurance.

BTW, this is still the toughest law in the country!!!!!!!!

The above works very well for the new guys getting into the business, but there were many peolple in a state of flux which I called Associates License Limbo.

We were able to get the legislature to understand the problem and they wrote language into the law to help those went through the original licensing process to get granfathered into the the business and not get caught being out of work.

1. Anyone who has an Associates License, upon application, shall be issued a full NJ HI License.

2. Anyone who has a letter from the Board stating they are approved pending an admistrative issue such as the "employment letter" shall also be grandfathered and issued a full license.

3. Those who have finished the present schooling, gotten 50 mentored inspections, or have gotten 40 hours of field experience, will be issued a full license pending the normal review process and requirements.

The above addresses all of the scenarios that I could think for those in Associates License Limbo while the law is enacted.

This is great news not only for HI's but for the consumers of NJ. There will be enough new inspectors entering the business to meet the growing number of real estate transaction statewide.

For those who did not know, since the Associates License started over 3 years ago only 1 person that I know of has aquired their full license. He was employed by his father and naturally was able to find his way through the process without the obstacles those without friends/relatives in the business had to face. I do know of another 4-5 who qualify but most were required to sign non-competes to get their inspections and still cannot start theor own business.

There are many people to thank including NACHI, HICAG, our NJ members and the concerned inspectors all over the country who helped with the cause.

A special thanks goes to all of the sponsors of the bill, and Bill Maer, our lobbyist, who had a pulse on the indusrty and the players involved. His very special understanding of the legislative process made the the whole process work in our favor.

This is such a big win for home inspectors nationwide that there is not enough space here to go over all of the details.

I am thankful of everyone's support and know the industry is better today from New Jeresy's decision to do what was right for the consumers in the state.

Phillip R. Hinman
President NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Phil,

If I could recommend someone for Member of the Year, you would be one of my top choices. Great job. Now if we could only get them to recognize other exams in addition to the NHIE.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Truly some outstanding work. Talk about a David vs Goliath battle. You may not have been speaking softly but it appears you threw some mighty powerful stones.

Good job Phil.

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Originally Posted By: ekartal

jbowman wrote:
Now if we could only get them to recognize other exams in addition to the NHIE.

They probably would John if they were proctored. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Wow. A real hurdle was crossed today, and it is true to compare this with a David and Goliath story.

As Phil notes above, educated, tested, insured and qualified individuals will be allowed to apply to become a licensed home inspector in the State of New Jersey. As simple as this sounds, if it was not for the efforts of a few brave people who risked their business and reputations to support this change in the licensing law, this would not be possible.

A sincere debt of gratitude is owed to all those who worked for this, including members of all of the inspector associations who bucked the edicts of their leadership to support this. Most especially, to those inspectors who were 'on the outside', unable to get licensed initially, but were subsequentially granted licensure, and continued to support this change in licensing even after they were 'in'. This alone says so much about your character. I thank you all.

With the tremendous growth in real estate sales in N.J., the need for qualified home inspectors is great. The efforts of another inspection "society" and the "society" influenced state licensing board to limit the number of inspectors for their own financial gain has been thwarted. But this is not the end, as diligence will be needed to keep these people from taking punitive actions against the people who supported or benefit from the change in licensing regulation.

The consumers of the State of New Jersey win. Rejoice.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Phil, my heart-felt congratulations, I know you have put countless hours in this endeavour well done ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I put out a press-release to NJ inspectors at Phil’s request: http://www.nachi.org/governorhelpsnachi.htm

Nice work.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.