New Jersey Licensing

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ll be there.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

New Jersey Gov. James McGreevey recently signed into law a bill that permits real estate agents to use unlicensed home inspectors until 2006.

NACHI was able to secure a provision in the bill (S. 1467), that allows real estate agents to rely on either a licensed or an unlicensed home inspector's report through Dec. 30, 2005, to satisfy the reasonable and diligent inquiry requirement of the Consumer Fraud Act. The previous deadline was June 30, 2004.

The Consumer Fraud Act's "reasonable and diligent inquiry requirement" states that real estate licensees are protected from liability for punitive damages and attorney fees for providing false, misleading, or deceptive information if they either had no actual knowledge that it was false, misleading, or deceptive, or if they made a reasonable and diligent inquiry to ascertain if the information was false, deceptive, or misleading.

NJ NACHI Chapter President Phil Hinman was instrumental in achieving this legislative success in NJ

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: phinman

Nick,

Thanks for the update! I should have notified everyone about that. It was actually an amendment to S1467 prior to going to the senate committee.

As you know, in the spring NJAR sent out a letter advising real estate agents to only use licensed inspectors because of the liability issue with the Consumer's Fraud Act. This had wide reaching implications and had us all scrambling for while.

A couple of times in the days following the letter sent by NJAR, realtors mentioned to me on inspections that their offices had meetings about this issue and warned the agents to beware of the potential liability.

Thanks to all including yourself for help getting this potential issue off the table.

In marketing to realtors it would be smart to let them know this crucial part of the bill passed along with the extension. I have included a blurb in my information packet. Not everyone in the real estate business knows about the change.

NACHI at work again looking out for their members interest.

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: jhand

deleted

Originally Posted By: W. HAIRSTON

I think this whole deal is a ‘crock’. There is honestly no one willing to provide mentorship for any potential hi’s so really - what is the point? It is extremely disheartening. I originally anticipated 50 inspections to be ‘easy’, boy was I wrong!

W,

You are correct and many before you have suffered the same fate, myself included.

Believe me when I tell you the 50 are the easy part, the 250 are THEE nightmare! Stay tuned the wheels are turning

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

I can’t speak for you since you have already completed your 50 inspections but compared to the difficulties I’ve experienced for the past 4 months I would think the 250 would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately I can’t say that wholeheartedly at this point. I have contacts within the Real Estate/Mortgage industry so I hope the 250 will not leave me with such a shallow feeling as these first 50 have. I’m trying to start off the correct way in following the NJ guidelines but there is part of me that wants to say, heck with the 50 inspections, heck with insurance, and just start working. Decisions, decisions.

Since you must be “employed by” a licensed inspector while doing the 250 I hope you know a licensed inspector who will hire you!

Many have had problems finding suitable employment for the 250. Payments of $80 on a 1099 an inspection are common. 25%-40% are out there also.

And you may get only a few a week! While I know some guys who are getting 8-10 inspections a week more are getting only a few a week.
3 a week is over 80 weeks! If you can live on that income you will be fine.

I have 2 other jobs while I'm getting the 250 and still not making much money and no bennies!

Good Luck!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Still working on getting my tools together so nothing has changed. No one around here is generous enough to take on an inspector in training. I guess they are too worried about their pockets. There aren’t too many licensed inspectors in my area. I would think that they’d be overworked and willing to help another brother out! Negative!

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Phillip,

How’ve you been? I haven’t heard of you since you departed TIJ. I see you’re still fighting the Battle of New Jersey with my ASHI associates, et al, who would like to keep the shop closed unless you want to work for them (gag!). How embarrassing. Congradulations on the extension, good work.

I'm not sure from reading the thread, is there a second path actually in law yet (the community colleges and vo-techs)? If not, please send me an email address for Assemblyman Impreveduto, I'd like to encourage him in that direction. The mentoring system is absurd and deeply flawed at a fundamental level, it'll never work for anyone but the "haves".

Hang in there.

Thanks Brian,

Nothing new to report on the legislaive side. Does not mean we have not been burning the midnight oil trying to get a workable law in place though!

I left the TIJ site strictly because of the heavy handed practices of the editor and his obvious bias or should I say love of you know who. His policy du jour on updates and information he would permit to be posted, in my humble opinion, made the site slanted at best.

When it was in his best interest he quoted me and advertised our meeting without ever speaking to me then reprimanded me for posting the details of the same meeting he advertised! So much for free speech at his site!

Bottom line is he is a commercial site and wanted payment for the information I wanted the inspection world to hear about! In the meantime ALPHI got all the free press they wanted. Maybe I should take the high road and assume they paid for their posts!

Because there is no real presence by us on his site we may have pulled some of his people to this site for information about the NJ Licensing Law!! I hope so! Over 35,000 hits to this thread tells us some one is watching!

AsmImpreveduto@njleg.org.

He would be glad to hear from you. The more out of state concerned home inspectors he hears from will only re-inforce his decision to change the law.

Stay Tuned

Phillip R Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Phillip,

I dropped Mr. I a line or two, praising his efforts and condemning mentoring. Let me know when this thing starts down the home stretch and I’ll send another.

The September 23rd meeting is being postponed. I have not been able to put together the details the Marketing Meeting deserved.

Stay tuned. All is well and the next meeting will be worth the wait!

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: dbowers

make money and suceed in business - not to help new inspectors. From what you read on this site about another group, it looks like thats exactly what they did for themselves - fence themselves in & fence others out.

At some point in time, we'll probably wish we had done some of that ourselves.

Dan,

I like your analogy except they did not follow the zoning laws!

They almost pulled off one of the most inappropriate pieces of legislation one could imagine!

The law was written to protect the consumer by requiring E&O Insurance and a legitimate education program.

The E&O Insurance assures the consumer the ability to become whole from a mistake made by a Home Inspector. Assemblyman Imprevedutos secretary lost $225,000 from a bad home inspection!

The education program serves to insure a steady flow of qualified inspectors into the business.

The problems with the law are simply the mentoring process and the supervised inspections. Furthermore the influence of of any one group with an acronym should never be an issue as it has here in NJ.

If you have not listened to the NJ Assembly Committee Meeting hearing, you should because the facts are clearly laid out for all to hear. The other group never came to the Senate hearing! The site is in an earlier post.

I defy anyone who believes in freedom of choice to go through the licensing process in NJ and feel good about the process.

Those granfathered into the process, qualified or not, controlled the process. Remember the inspector who caused the Assemblymans secretary loss in now licensed and even wrote the Assemblyman in protest of the extension!

The blatant attempt to keep the numbers low so fees would rise is well documented! After 2 years of the schools operation only 1, yes 1 person was able to acquire an Associates License which is the first step in the process. I have license number 9 after 150 people went before me!

I welcome you or anyone in any state to attend some of the local meeting held by the other acronyms and hear the venom coming from the leaders when licensing is discussed!

I do not think this law belongs on the books and when the legislators got wind of the problems and its impending impact on the consumer the law was extended just days before its was supposed to take effect.

I and those I associate with in the home inspection business want a tough law and the business to become a real profession. Keeping people out is not the solution, educating them is.

Phillip R. Hinman
NJ NACHI

Originally Posted By: jremas

Because I really don’t have the time to read this whole thread, can someone please tell me what the requirements are for licensing in NJ, what the timeline is for these requirements and what is needed for grandfathering in this state? I simple easy to read answer will be appreciated. Also, the costs involved. Thank you in advance.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

edit

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Great information from Phil posted by Joe. Thanks Joe.

What is the current state test? There own or the NHIE?

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

I don’t know the answer to the question, that is why I am asking. Please don’t assume otherwise.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598