New main panel and a subpanel done by a licensed guy!

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Question from the field:

Quote:
Hi Joe, had a new main panel and a sub done by a licensed guy up here
can you comment on it main panel

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1010441_Small.JPG ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1010443_Small.JPG ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1010438_Small.JPG ]

Subpanel
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1010447_Small.JPG ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P1010445_Small.JPG ]

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

I could be wrong, but it looks like that in the subpanel, the neutral bar got used for ground and the ground for the neutral, just because the bar used for grounding seems to have the removable bonding strap on it.

Is that the case?

Joey:

This terminal bar is the equipment grounding terminal and because the MJB is installed makes this acceptable.

The bare wire is part of the SER cable, and is the EGC so I see it as being OK.

The bar on the left is for the grounded (neutral) conductor and is isolated from the cabinet. That's OK too.

![](upload://lbVOmmgzFvfL58vhsWVUKl6J1Nn.jpeg)

--

Originally Posted By: bbadger

In the main panel I see the all to frequent double lugging. icon_sad.gif

The sub panel looks to installed over a shelf or bench which is a violation. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

In the close up of the sub panel I see nothing wrong.

The feeder is a 4 wire, 2 hots with a neutral to an isolated terminal bar used for only neutrals.

The feeder also contains a bare equipment grounding conductor terminated on a terminal bar used only for other EGCs and bonded to the enclosure.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Joe. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: berby

I could learn alot from you guys if you stop talking in code!!! What’s a mjb or a ser. You guys are killing poor me. icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif

icon_smile.gif

MBJ = Main Bonding Jumper and SER = Service Entrance Round (4 wire cable)

--

Originally Posted By: berby

Thanks Joe, for breaking it down for this rookie. THANKS icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: dguizzetti

Joe, Is the absence of any AFCI breakers an issue? Also, if the sub is in the basement or garage, shouldn’t the receptacle to the bottom right be GFCI-protected? BTW, where on California St in Denver did you find those damaged receptacles? TIA

Don

Don:

The AFCI requirement is for new installations that deal with the branch circuit that supplies the outlets in dwelling unit bedrooms.

Quote:
210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.

(A) Definition: Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter. An arc-fault circuit interrupter is a device intended to provide protection from the effects of arc faults by recognizing characteristics unique to arcing and by functioning to de-energize the circuit when an arc fault is detected.

(B) Dwelling Unit Bedrooms. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination type installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Branch/feeder AFCIs shall be permitted to be used to meet the requirements of 210.12(B) until January 1, 2008.

FPN: For information on types of arc-fault circuit interrupters, see UL 1699-1999, Standard for Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters.

Exception: The location of the arc-fault circuit interrupter shall be permitted to be at other than the origination of the branch circuit in compliance with (a) and (b):

(a) The arc-fault circuit interrupter installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the branch circuit overcurrent device as measured along the branch circuit conductors.

(b) The circuit conductors between the branch circuit overcurrent device and the arc-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a metal raceway or a cable with a metallic sheath.

The location was near the Marriott Hotel, I walked across the street and found that receptacle near the tree and there were others too!

I will post it here for others to see.

http://ecmweb.com/nec/whats_wrong_030805/

--

Originally Posted By: dguizzetti

Joe, If the main panel was replaced and a new sub added, does the remainder of the system need to be brought up to code and AFCIs added for the sleeping areas? Also, what about the GFCI protection for the receptacle near the panel?

Thanks, Don

Your questions should be answered by the local electtrical inspector.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--

Originally Posted By: Michael D Thomas

In that first picture, are the connectors (at top) used to route two branch circuits through a single knock-out a generally accepted practice? (I know from personal experience that in my jurisdiction (Evanston, IL) they are not allowed on code inspection for new circuits to existing panels.)

Originally Posted By: Robert Gallahorn

Sub panel -5 Circuits, 3 neutrals, 2 grounds or 2@220 V not pinned and split and still missing a ground

It’s all in the wording