New roof framing over old roof

An agent is wanting me to do an inspection on a property her client bought a while back, but did NOT get an inspection. Among other problems, they are concerned that a new roof frame has been built on top of part of the old roof.

I know this is not actually that uncommon, and can be done however i’ve only ran across this one time many years ago with a rent house before I was an inspector. My first thought is that a structural engineer should have been consulted when the new frame was designed, to make sure that the old roof can handle the weight from the new one.

I’m not sure what all problems she’s having right now but I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody just decided to do it without consulting an engineer, and now they are having structural issues. I don’t know if the old frame is truss or rafter yet. any insight you have about this style of construction i’d appreciate.

There is not much to go on, but the new roof framing should be independent of the old roof structure.

2 Likes

That looks pretty old. How was it performing?

Ouch. I’m wondering if the agent got an earful after the client found these problems? Maybe offered to pay for an inspection after the fact? Maybe they are on a fact-finding mission for a potential lawsuit against the seller? Better tread carefully on this one!

3 Likes

I don’t really have much more information right now the agent said she suggested she get an inspection before she bought it but that the mortgage broker told her it would be a bad idea because of the way the market is. Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes

:flushed: The mortgage broker?? Holy Liability!!

1 Like

This is how it was described to me… she was quick to say “I suggested she get an inspection”

1 Like

Not doubting you at all. That’s just crazy that they (mortgage brokers) were throwing their necks on the proverbial chopping block to make a buck.

Well remember the last major real estate collapse? The mortgage brokers were giving mortgages out to people with no job or income called Ninja loans … No income no job, just to cash their commission, sell the mortgage to someone else, and run :laughing:

1 Like

Seems out of place for a mortgage broker. Like I said, tread carefully. You may want to feel out the situation before getting too deep. That is unless you like testifying in a courtroom.

1 Like

That would be the first question I’d try to get an answer to. By the look of the framing I’d say it was built several years ago.

1 Like

Before I agree to the inspection I’m going to get more details… The agent is part of my networking group and I feel comfortable getting all the facts before agreeing

1 Like

Nehemiah loans and it was prominent in the early 2000’s. 100-110% financing plus 6% of the contract price towards “closing” cost. No down payment and the major factor of the RE collapse in 2007-08 as well witnessed.

I was flipping foreclosures in 2002-2003 and quit the day a buyer walked away from a closing with 10k in their pocket compared to my 5k net. Said “No more of this shit” and then we know what happened.

2 Likes

I agree with Ryan… :flushed:

2 Likes

I wonder if they are selling? There are disclosure statement requirements from the Real Estate Commission for each state, and with that, there may also be Statute of Limitations.
FYI, In the LA area where I worked Code Enforcement, the SFD’s do require a building permit for roofing replacement, but the City of LA allows the roofing contractors to conduct there own inspections, as long as the roofing company is certified to do so. (Not sure how it works in other areas), so if you have the address, maybe check for permits before accepting the home inspection job.

The picture you posted doesn’t show very much, any other photos.

As others have said tread carefully. If any of your findings are defective or questionable, defer to a qualified professional.

I wonder if there is a way to add to a pre inspections agreement that the report cannot be relied on as the basis for a lawsuit

Good question. If the client owns the report…I am not sure if you can limit its durability.

1 Like

If that were possible, I’d use it for every inspection, lol.

1 Like