New roof straps

What I try to do is explain that it is not that hard to get the information you need. If you keep saying something can’t be done you train your brain and eyes not to see it. I don’t make statements to fight with Mike. I trying to help the other guys out there that view the thread but don’t comment buy letting them know that it can be done if you look hard enough and go in with the right attitude. If Mike wants to attack me personally for providing services as they are require he can do that. For others that want help but struggle finding nails or other things the can pm me and I will help them.

As far as it pertains to the wind mitigation inspection, almost everything can be done. I do everything I can to try and get the information that is requested by the form. Some times it isn’t there.
And as I said, it shouldn’t be there with regards to nails that missed the truss.
Are you counting the nails that were used for valley jacks, when the valley jacks aren’t present as the decking nails?

I know there is a big push by the instructors to “disregard the code and focus on the form”. If that is the case, why do we have the code in the first place. And, which came first?
That is my biggest problem with the insurance inspections, all of them. They are re-writing the building code and, by means of extortion, enforcing it.

It must be really tough for some guys to navigate an attic. I am not a big person so while I can get around easy I find some attics a challenge not to hurt myself or damage somebody’s home. I just try not to get in a hurry, find a good spot and scan the area before my next move. It helps to have a good light and some attics are almost impossible but I do my best and usually find at least one or two shiners. My two cents and as always enjoy positive input from everyone.

[quote=“cvannest, post:5, topic:67444”]

I’ll go ahead and say it. Only 2 nails and more than 1/2" gap. Toenail :mrgreen: At least the photos were easy to obtain./QUOTE

Yeah right! lol and people think this is ok and normal.

I do not wish to attack you BUT it is comments like you make that allows the requirements to be as they are. You hurt us all when you say it is a good idea to require pictures of shinners and that you always find them. Nothing personal
as I have told you on the phone before just my opinion. I believe you should try to make the system better for inspectors and clients. Not harder and not by agreeing with what the insurance companies want.

We should not be endangering ourselves and our clients property trying to find a shinner. There is no reason to crawl around in an attic for an hour looking for something that should not be there.

Some time ago I posted a photo of what I do when I cannot find a nail. I was ridiculed and told it was completely unacceptable. Come to find out from a very trusted source and very active insurance inspector and internachi member in my area that the method is taught to reinspectors.

The argument that the zircon cannot do this is asinine. It does not matter which direction you move it. If it can accurately determine spacing then it can accurately determine where the bottom of the nail is. If it can be used for the spacing then it can be used for length. to say otherwise is foolish and makes no sense. How can it be accurate moving in one direction and not the other. again I will post what I do when I cannot find a shiner and what seems to be accepted by the insurance companies when I do it.

To attempt to make the process more difficult and more time consuming hurts us all. wake up.

IF YOU ARE THE GUY WHO TOLD ME THAT PLEASE SPEAK UP. I DO UNDERSTAND IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BUT I BELIEVE YOUR OPION CARRIES WEIGHT AROUND HERE AND MAYBE SOME WOULD GET IT AND LISTEN IF IT CAME FROM YOU. PRETTY PLEASE.

[quote=“wcollier, post:24, topic:67444”]

[quote=“cvannest, post:5, topic:67444”]

I’ll go ahead and say it. Only 2 nails and more than 1/2" gap. Toenail :mrgreen: At least the photos were easy to obtain.
[/QUOTE

Yeah right! lol and people think this is ok and normal.[/QUOTE]

Single wrap…

Mike, why don’t you put together a training video on how you accomplished this feat. Inquiring minds need to know. Hasn’t this been tried over and over again with no conclusive results?

Which of my great feats are you referring to?

If it is the zircon calibrate it and move until it beeps. I personally do not feel the instrument is useful for much anyhow.

Just because it beeps only means there is metal there. not what is there.
Do you think shingle nails ever make them beep? what about staples?

Just saying if it is good enough to do one thing then it has to be good enough to do the same thin in another direction.

I would love to know if anyone else has been taught this in the reinspector classes. Please do tell one way or another.

If you do not want to be known just send me your story and I will post it without your personal info.

[quote=“evandeven, post:26, topic:67444”]

Thats a good one!!!

The Zircon can NOT be used to determine the nail length, anyone who tells you different is an idiot. Read the manual or watch the video, nowhere do they claim it can be done. I know several people that have set-up tests and they could not determine the nail length, and neither could I.

The question i really want answered: Is at least one reinspection company teaching this to their students?

I have heard it is so and would like the truth. Are they teaching that or not.

I am not interested in peoples opinions on weather they think it can be done or not.

They no longer stand behind that. It was not and is not accepted.

Just a question John, since the mt-6 detects metal, when it stops detecting metal, wouldn’t that be the end of the nail? Also, as it measures the depth of metal, If you used it in the bottom side of the top chord, would it tell how deep the metal is and then, couldn’t you subtract that from the total length of the truss, then add in the thickness of the deck, to come up with a nail length?
I haven’t tried it.

Just take a skilsaw and set it at 1" and make a 12" long lateral cut in the top cord 1,1/2 " below the sheathing:twisted:

Just don’t disturb the insulation!:mrgreen:

Or you could make one of these:roll:! Only took 5 minutes between posts.

03-10-2012 003.jpg

03-10-2012 002.jpg

03-10-2012 001.jpg

It is just not that accurate.

I was watching the video and they claim the depth is accurate. I don’t believe it either. Just asking if you had tried it.

I have tried and so have others.

And now, so have I. I tried it on my shelf in the garage where I know the screw sizes and depths. It was only 1 inch off so I guess you could subtract that number and come up with some wild formula or, do what should be done, remove the photo requirement for nail size and just go with the number of nails in a certain span.
Mythbusters…“Myth Busted”!