New, stylish light fixture

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Found in a hallway…

For best results, only install one of the mounting screws.

I've never even seen those bulbs before...

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

You need to get out more icon_wink.gif

Those bulbs are very popular in bathroom lights. It is a way to dress up a keyless.

It looks bigger than the bathroom ones… maybe it isn’t…

But still... a cheap lampholder and one of those bulbs is such a poor alternative to actually installing a light fixture

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Perhaps I should have said it is an easy way for an “unqualified” person to dress up an old fixture. There are plenty of folks who can screw in a light bulb but should not be replacing fixtures.

It is not necessarily all that cheap. I think you can buy a builder grade luminaire for the price of one of those big globe bulbs … and they don’t last that long.

Yeah I meant cheap as in “poor” … I changed my post to reflect that meaning.

I don't think those lampholders are so bad in garages and stuff, but in a hallway it looks terrible!

I didn't pull it down from the ceiling, but I have a suspicion that the original fixture mounting strap is still on the box, and that is why only one screw is installed. I doubt the other hole even lines up with anything.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

That looks like a G-40 or 48.

Lamps are designated in 1/8" and shape.

T = tubular
C = circline
G = globe
P = pear shape
A = arbitrary
R = reflector
PAR = parabolic reflector
etc.

Thus, a T12 is a tubular lamp 12/8" in diameter, or 1 1/2" (your typical 4 foot fluorescent lamp is an example of this)

A T8 is a tubular lamp 1" in diameter. T8, T6 and T4 are typical of the smaller fluorescents.

The typical bathroom light will be a G25, G30 or G32, or globe 25/8" (3 1/8"), 30/8" (3 3/4") or 32/8" (4").

A G40 is 5" and a G48 is 6".

The typical outdoor flood light is a PAR 38 (parabolic reflector 38/8" or 4 3/4" diameter).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Jerry,

Would you please explain to me why you charge so much for your inspection services? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://AfblZmhvUlRcJhlC9thxRShP8SL.html)

Originally Posted By: dhartke

Jerry,

That's interesting trivia. Enough so that I did a copy and paste. Thanks.

dhartke wrote:
Jerry,

That's interesting trivia. Enough so that I did a copy and paste. Thanks.

No problem. Glad my memory is still working some. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I designed and built custom lighting fixtures, did lighting design and layout for large residences, commercial buildings and several discos (while working at a large electrical contractor), and managed two lighting fixture showrooms for about 10 years. But that was 25-30 years ago.

I've forgotten more than I will ever need to know anymore (so I guess it is good I will never need to know it ).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Webmaster wrote:
Jerry,

Would you please explain to me why you charge so much for your inspection services? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Chris,

When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida