New Texas Standards of Practice

I do have the new rules, I’ll have to look over 3.K closer. Devon told me we could have summary pages but they had to be at the end of the report. I know what you’re saying about the binder. I also want to give guys as many possibilities to make their reports look as professional as possible so the more options TREC allows the better.

Hi Andrew,

We’ll basically be adding in a new TREC template. When you buy our software there is no special TREC version, there’s just a TREC template. You can make your own additional or use include mold , commercial templates we have. There are a few other small options we’re going to be adding to the program as TREC now allows them, but most are already part of the program.

If you have any ideas though, just let us know :wink: We’re always updating and looking for ways to improve the program.

Dominic

The provision that allows for a cover page is documented in Subchapter R. Real Estate Inspectors 22 TAC §535.223. http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/rules/535.223.pdf

Yes, that’s the ‘new’ rules that govern the new form REI 7A-1. While TREC has said for the last couple of years that they had no problem with a cover page this is the first time it has been documented into the official rules that I know of but I really haven’t looked too hard for it. I should have said that better in my earlier post.

Thanks Chuck, I like the hard evidence I can print out!

I thought you said you had the rules already. :wha?:

I do. I’ve gotten them from the website, from Nolan and a few other sources as guys have gone to TREC courses. I’ve mostly been working on matching their latest format though, I haven’t completely read over all the rules yet.

The TREC Inspector Advisory Committee’s SOP Sub-committee met via teleconference on 12/9 to begin the discussions and process of writing a Commentary for the new Inspection Standards of Practice that is due to go into effect 2/1/09. The Commentary will expand upon the language in the SOP, clarify the thinking and intent behind many of the SOP line items and generally attempt to explain, in more layman’s terms, what is expected of the Inspector. The first Commentary meeting was about two hours long and resulted in preliminary, draft explanatory paragraphs for about 1/3 of the SOP topics. What struck me most during the process was the fact that the Sub-committee members writing the Commentary are the same ones that wrote the SOP and yet there was considerable discussion and even disagreement on what the SOP meant to each of the members. Basic, conceptual ideas were not agreed upon in certain sections and some Commentary sections resulted in obvious conflict with the new SOP. There were even instances of proposed changes to the recently approved SOP wording. There’s a huge amount of work yet to be done with the Commentary…don’t expect anything before mid-2009 at best.

Mike,

Thank you for the heads up and all of your efforts on behalf of Texas Inspectors. My comments are above in blue italic.

Ugh, so you’re guessing this February start date isn’t going to happen?

No, I’m just referring to the Commentary…the SOP & new form are still scheduled for 2/1/09. Now, I will say that there is an item on the 12/15 TREC meeting agenda that says “16. Discussion and possible action regarding the effective date of the home inspector Standards of Practice and Standard Inspection Report Form” and no one seems to know what prompted that but it is not because of the Commentary. It may be that other s/w developers are requesting additional time.

If so, I don’t see why. It’s not that huge of a difference from the software point of view :wink: I don’t need additional time! Hehe.

No waaay. Not possible. Didn’t the TREC attorney testify that the cost for businesses to adopt the new Standard Of Practice and forms was trivial? How could there be money in it?:roll:

Any idea how much longer an inspection will take? Anyone planning on raising their prices? A local inspector told me he was not raising his prices. I was thinking adding 75 to 100 per inspection.

Chuck,

$145 is most likely trivial to an Attorney. Quite possibly their lunch tip money for the month! :roll:

I know. 145 training is one piece. Buying software updates or updating your own report templates, revising verbiage in canned comments, etc. Addiding sundry items like water pressure gauges, etc. Kind of adds up in terms of either real or time/opportunity expense. Seemed cavalier that they just declared it to be trivial and not a factor.

Took them how long to get the SOP written/passed? Probably the better part of another year before they will produce the commentary, but dismiss the effort for businesses to comply with a zero day transition period as trival… Hope everbody’s software works right on the first live run because there’s no fallback.

From a practical standpoint, the commentary should be released PRIOR to the SOP changes taking effect.

John, that of course would result in ‘the horse before the cart’ and that just wouldn’t do now would it? :slight_smile:

I saw the various 1st sections of the Commentary yesterday during the teleconference and I actually got a preliminary draft last night. One area that was covered was the controversial section that requires Texas HI’s to ‘random sample the roofing fasteners’ to ensure proper installation. There’s even photos in the Commentary depicting this. I, and I hope others, continue to be baffled and will disagree on the concept of this practice. We are now required to lift shingles to check the nails/staples. The proponent of this new requirement still believes that shingles should be and can be safety lifted even if they have sealed down. I tried that on my house with 20 yr shingles and couldn’t do it and have tried it on 30 year shingles with no success at all.

Well, I’ve successfully lifted shingles (using a blade) while making roof covering repairs. Sometimes the shingles I’m lifting tear which just makes more area that needs repair.

I’m not in the business of roof repair except on my own houses. I suspect I will depart from the SOP on this unless I can comply by identifing the fasteners from the attic space.

So what will you be putting in your report? You’ll have mail