new to business

Originally Posted By: Jeff Dodson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m thinking about getting involved in the home inspection business. I’m in Kansas City. I can’t afford to go to the Midwest Inspection school. I have construction exp and insurance exp. I don’t know if the school is absolutely necessary to run a successful inspection business. How much in marketing will I have to spend to have strong business? I plan on just keeping enough work to employ myself only. I plan on reading the message board as well as read any info I can find, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

Jeff Dodson wrote:
I'm thinking about getting involved in the home inspection business. I'm in Kansas City. I can't afford to go to the Midwest Inspection school. I have construction exp and insurance exp. I don't know if the school is absolutely necessary to run a successful inspection business. How much in marketing will I have to spend to have strong business? I plan on just keeping enough work to employ myself only. I plan on reading the message board as well as read any info I can find, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jeff,

Education is very important. Save your money and go to Tom's school, you will not regret it. Also most of the E&O providers will give you a discount for going to an approved school. In the KC area you have a lot of established inspectors so you need to find a niche and work on marketing in that area. As for marketing you just need to keep your name in front of every real estate agent you can find. It will take time; our profession has a high failure rate as most can not hang in for a couple of years waiting for the business to roll in.

You can not get your education from this form or any other forum. Another forum that is very active and is free to all is InspectionNews .com
http://www.inspectionnews.com

Good luck and get that education.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Jeff

Welcome to the boards Jeff. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to the next MO-KAN Chapter Meeting on Jan 10,2004. This way you can meet new and seasoned inspectors alike, pick there brains and form an opinion about the business.

Like Scott said Tom has a good school in Leavenworth. Many of the inspectors on this board have been to that school. There are a few other alternatives that you can take also. Following the boards won't be the education you think you need.

I am in the area, feel free to email or private message me if you'd like to talk a little more. I'm taking a P.E. for a ride along inspection next week. You may want to consider doing something like that also. The area is fairly saturated with inspectors and marketing is going to be essential and tough.

Paul