New to Nachi

Also, you should add your market area towns and cities to your message board signature.

You should even put your address (if you don’t mind it being public) and your business phone number in your message board signature.

Our IT department is working on a free NAP tool for members. We’ll release it soon.

If you are not using an S corp or an LLC I think you are unnecessarily exposing yourself (and your personal assets) to potential liability.

E&O insurance may be of some comfort in that regard, but it can also make you an inviting target. Moreover, there may be small claims you don’t even want to report to your E&O carrier. Or your E&O could get cancelled because you accidentally miss a payment, maybe because you changed your address. Plus your E&O carrier may be able to use your LLC or S corp status to negotiate the claim.

I just don’t see a downside to the LLC or S corp approach. It can’t hurt and it deters some claimants right off that bat.

Welcome to NY!
You really dont want to miss out on the protection of an LLc or Corp when you do business in one of the most litigious states (NY).
If you want to do your own termite inspections you need to get a license from the DEC. You will need to take a training course, an exam and pay an incredible $500.00 liscence fee with continuing ed requirements every 2 years. Then you can provide your own termite inspections, but you still wont be certified for pesticide applications.

A DEC license is not needed to do termite inspections.

Welcome.

I would recommend an S Corp or LLC. It’s just another layer of protection for you. It costs very little and there is no downside to it, except an S Corp has to file a separate tax return every year, so you might need a CPA for that.

Also, be sure to use the standard InterNACHI inspection agreement. It contains a lot of legal protection for inspectors.

Welcome

welcome aboard, Sir.

Hi Manny!

Don’t forget the NYS mandated clauses, and the notice of adherance to the NYS SOP.

Good reminders Bill.

Hi Manny, welcome to the fun.
I’m also located on Long Island so I’ll let you know what I did for termites. I am a certified 7C termite inspector, NYS DEC license. Most banks want the DEC license and most Realtors ask if you perform termite inspections. If you want more information on how to go about getting your license PM me.

Thank you all for your welcomes and responses. I am getting a lot from this site!

Manny

PS what is that thing on the bottom of this form that says “trackback”?

Manny, what is your shipping address? email it to me at fastreply@nachi.org I want to ship you my new book: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/successful.aspx

Manny, thanks for your shipping address. Book is on its way.

Thanks again Nick! One quick question, can you explain what the trackback link at the bottom of the “reply to thread” window is?

Manny

No, but I’ll try to find someone who knows.

Trackbacks and Linkbacks are a way for different sites to tell each other that they’re sending links. It’s a feature of an SEO package that we use on the message board—you can pretty much just ignore it.

Chris