New TREC SOP & Template posted for review at Texas Register

Not really Bruce. TREC will almost assuredly include all of the comments in the commissioner’s meeting materials when the proposal is made to adopt the SOP. But that material won’t be posted until late Jan for the Feb commissioner’s meeting.

FWIW … I can’t imagine that there will be a deluge of comments from inspectors.

History will bear that belief out I’m sure. It seems to me that there is even less interest in recent times on behalf of the licensed inspectors about what is going on with TREC and the rules we have to operate under.

I honestly hope I’m wrong … but the anecdotal input I’m picking up seems to be bearing that out.

I submitted a comment or two and received an acknowledgement.

I would like to see the “Building Thermal Envelope” given its own section, not just an insulation depth (I see that insulation thickness is now gone).

The proposed SoP remain to be approved by TREC. They were simply approved for public comment.

I have a long history with TREC SoP. I read them carefully with a few other people who follow the SoP. I was asked to detail them for review. I got about 80% through and gave up on it. It is a terrible document.

Bruce, like I mentioned in post #20 TREC usually makes the comments they receive public a couple of weeks prior to the Commission meeting. True to form, they have posted all of the SOP/Form revision comments, including yours, for all to see. Go to the Materials tab for the 2/1/13 IAC meeting pg 19, on the TREC News & Public Data/Meeting Dates/Inspector Committee page to see the comments.

@ Cahill:

It is indeed a terrible document, and getting worse. Just what one would expect of anything derived from bureaucrats and assembled by a committee.

@ Boyett:

I submitted comments that were not included in the link you provided. Big surprise. I will say though, on a rare positive note from me regarding the TREC, that they appear to have improved in some areas. While renewing my license recently I experienced difficulty with the online process, sent an email, and got an almost immediate response - on SUNDAY! I nearly fainted . . .:smiley:

My comment about smoke alarms was incidental and not a review of the changes. I have withheld specific comment on these SoP.

TREC has worked hard to transition to the electronic regulatory management.

The TREC commissioners heard from the Inspector Advisory Committee today re: the proposed SOP & Form revisions as well as a couple of public commenters (one inspector & one broker) and essentially tabled the adoption of the proposed SOP until their next meeting in 2 months. The proposed SOP & Form will be re-posted to the Texas Register for additional public comment.

Thanks for the update Mike

The adoption needed to be tabled, perhaps even flushed. As with nearly everything that has issued forth from the current TRECIAC, these SOP changes are significantly flawed. Anyone with two synapses to rub together, who attended or watched via the online feed must have seen and heard the disparity in the ability to reason between the IAC representative and Mark Eberwine and the broker/CPA who spoke to the commission. If this somehow eluded you, it is time to tender your resignation. You can always become re-licensed as a Realtor.:smiley:

I am somewhat astonished, and perhaps even a bit encouraged, that the commission saw fit to put the matter back up for public review. It behooves every inspector in Texas to revisit the proposed changes and write to the IAC and the commissioners before this comes up for an encore.

The day when Home Inspectors will fully oversee the Home Inspector’s SOP will be a good day…

Test

Did I pass?

I motion to amend. ""I would like to see the “Building Thermal Envelope given its own section that the inspector can offer for an additional fee and the consumer purchase if desired”

I motion to amend. “The day when Home Inspectors, as individual professionals, can fully oversee the Home Inspection SOP that their company and the client agree to use will be a good day”.

Is the new TREC form official now ?

I believe postponed for one more public posting of the Standards.

John’s correct, adoption of the proposed SOP and form REI 7-3 was delayed and will be considered again at the May 6th Commissioner’s meeting.