NEW Vendor Code of Ethics

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I agree … but when Inspector X fails to disclose the fact that he is getting free widgets from Vendor A for promoting his product … what action will you take against Vendor A when he argues “I told him to disclose it. It’s not my fault.”

Nathan, as a home inspector, would you think it fine to secretly pay fees to real estate agents to to talk you up to their clients?

Nathan, disclosure benefits the vendor too. When someone comes on this message board and says “I’ve been using RecallChek for years, I love it, and my client’s love it” the rest of us reading that post know it’s the truth.

Nathan, do you have so few inspectors happy with your products/services that you have to pay for flattery?

I think one is moot because inspector members break the MB rules everyday and there are no consequences.

I think 8 is ridiculous. I don’t want vendors I’m affiliated with disseminating any info about InterNACHI.

The rest seem fair but overall petty.

Nathan, I am jumping to no conclusions, it is a “vendors code of ethics” of which there are many vendors, however you sir seem to be the most vocal when it come to this issue.

I agree with Juan about #8. We don’t need them.

Thank you. Axe it.

I agree with the idea that any compensation, monetary or material must be disclosed, just as we as inspectors must disclose any interest we may have in a home that is being inspected.

Actually, he nailed it right on the head. It is not always what you say, but what you do. It’s your reputation that proceeds you. Deal with it.

No problem if he (or other vendors) do pay for referrals. We all know that they do, anyway. Just as long as it is disclosed that they are being compensated (cash, free or discounted services or products) for shilling them. It’s the right thing to do. Only an unethical vendor would object to disclosure which, if I am not mistaken, is one of the reasons a vendor’s code of ethics is necessary.

Nathan, our message board is a great place for inspectors to surf before they open their wallet. Our members are great about telling their fellow members about industry products and services (including InterNACHI’s). Sometimes the posts are flattering recommendations, sometimes the posts are nothing short of warnings. An inspector can get all the information he/she needs here. Can you suggest language that helps preserve the integrity of that information?

This forthrightness helps vendors in two ways:

1. Vendors want visitors to be assured that the compliments they receive about their products/services are earned, not purchased.
  2. Vendors don’t want competitors to be able to purchase derogatory posts about the vendor’s products/services.

What language can you suggest to enhance vendor reputation accuracy on our message board?

A vendor should fully disclose all of the information about their products and services. There should be no “call me for details” when it comes to whether or not a product or service is compliant with state laws that might govern it. Your “truth in advertising” provision should include this, clearly.

When a vendor says his product is approved “in 46 states”, he should list those states or, at a minimum, should list the states where his product is not approved.

All products being promoted on this message board should be legal to use. Areas in which a product or service has not been approved for use should be clearly and plainly displayed in all advertising. This is common sense as well as ethical conduct.

This would be a good start.

Just a thought, should vendors be writing the vendors code of ethics? I don’t have any problems with vendors selling their services here but when they get to make the rules it seems like the foxes guarding the chicken coop.

Good point.

Hey, Nick … without meaning to, this guy makes a good point as to how NACHI, once again, raises the bar. He’s right. ASHI and NAHI allow vendors to conceal from their members when they are compensating people for promoting their products. This, alone, is reason to have and to strictly enforce this requirement.

Other than this provision, however, I find the rest of this vendor’s code of ethics to be quite weak. Did you run it by Joe?