New Website

For the division of my Company (The Home Green Team) no. When I do hire an Inspector, they will be required to have completed BPI Certification.

Kevin

So therefor you are misleading the public and mis-using the BPI logo.

Peter,

You need to relax my friend. You offered your feedback and your point was made, so I think we can move forward.

Again, good luck your website.

Kevin

I am relaxed, but I do have a problem with the way you are utilising the logo.
I worked hard for my certification and I will use the logo as BPI has asked. Why can’t you.
I guess you came here to show off your web site and have everyone pat you on the back. I think your web site is well done but it misleads the public as well as violates BPI guideline for use.

I’m not showing off anything. If you search the site, there are several Inspectors who have posted new sites on the board in the hopes to get some feedback. You have provided yours, so thank you.

So, finally, have a great day and good luck with your website.

Kevin

Those are very, very good looking and professional websites Kevin! If you don’t mind I ask. What did you pay… approx?

Peter,

BPI stays on top of websites activites and their logo use. I know of several companies that BPI asks them to change their wording/type of logo/use of BPI name (certified/acrediated).

Personally I do not know what BPI’s stance will be on his use of the logo.

As far as your site goes, it is very clean looking. Your contact information is at the very top and easy to locate for both the phone number and email. I would add a call to action close to both the phone number and email.

As a rule of thumb web designers know very little about SEO, and most SEO guys know very little about good web design. I would urge you to have someone that is good with SEO give your site a good once over. Dominic from here knows his stuff.

After a quick 2 minute look over, here are the SEO issues I would address.

1. Your menus are in Javascript. It looks great for design, it is horrible for SEO. You can keep them, just make sure you make a really good sitemap and you have to make up for the loss of text in those menus elsewhere for google. Google cannot navigate java, so it will be difficult for google to index all the places those links point to without a good sitemap. There are other tricks to getting your site indexed, other than just a sitemap. Getting a handful of quality backlinks to your sitemap instead of your home page site is one.

2. Your title bar is probably the number 1 mistake people make when designing web pages. Web designers don’t take in to account they are not making a site for Pepsi, General Motors or any other big name brand. The title bar might be the most valuable real estate on your site from an SEO standpoint. So if you are trying to get all the potential customers that are going to search “The Home Green Team” you are golden. I would ditch the whole thing and go with something to the effect of "(main city) (state) (abbreviated state) home performance energy auditor (audits, auditing, auditor) take your pick of those. Then on your other pages change the city/state/abbreviated state layout and use the other variations of “audit”

3. You have no H tags.

4. You have zero alt tags on your images

5. With the exception of your home page, I would turn all the text in your global header/footer whatever into an image. Google will see this as duplicate content. Although this is not an overly big deal, it is one of those “sum of the parts” type of deal that google loves to see. Plus as an image you can create unique alt tags per page. Another nifty trick is to put your image/alt tags in to h tags, it makes them more relevant.

JJ

Thanks for the suggestions, Jason. The information you provided is very helpful.

Kevin

Like it, good choice with staying away from a dark website.
Nice site.

Thanks, Darren.

I like your site as well. Is that a custom CMS site?

Kevin

It’s either Joomla or Mambo to me. Nice template. I’d suggest using sh404 for the SEF URL’s as it’ll allow you to get rid of the index.php for each page address.

Simplified the density is how the search engines judge relevancy of your website to a particular search phrase. You telegraph what you think is important on the site by using the Tital, Description and Keyword metatags.

Then the page itself is parsed and the recognized words/phrass that are in the metas are compared to the page copy. Typically you want at least 1% but I’ve always found 2-4% a good target. If it gets to high the search engine might flag you as spam but they do seem to use a more sophisticated algorithm then just keyword density to flag spam site.

The agreement between the metas and the body copy give the search engine an intital idea that the site is about xxxxxx. Of course the engine can’t read so it’s doing a strictly mathematical comparison.

Not the end all and be all but important.

One of the most important things that guys don’t realize is that if you don’t have content in the body of the document to match the page title, keywords and description then none of them will have an effect! I usually aim on the higher end of 3-4% like Don said, but in reality I just try to work in the phrases where they will make sense.

And I agree with Dom.

Your copy needs to make sense to people too. Without being just a string a keywords and phrases. But good copy for people can also be good copy for the search engines. But it can feel like a bit of a balancing act at times.

Beyond 3-4% density you can enhance the effect if you can include the keywords/phrases in heading tags or as links to other pages on your site. There’s also some weighting for them occurring towards the top.

Nice Kevin…Good Work…!!