New York State Changing Test Requirments! No State Test

We’re not taking about acts of god here :smiley: We’re talking about a pending bill that passed both the NY assembly&senate and was sent to the governor. Its progress could be tracked online at one’s convenience here:

It was no secret and talked about at local chapters.

PS: I’m not blaming you for anything… and you could be part of a school that did warn its students… I was responding to James based on his statement that his particular school did not warn them in any way about the pending bill, did he attend your school?

You have a link to the new bill?

Hearing the below from one of the school houses…

“New York has created a bill that is attached to the budget that will bring back the old NY test… The bill lets the student pick which test he wants to take… The Old NY test or the new NHIE… it will be law when Cuomo signs the budget for 2020”

I’m seeing FY21, thus lots of time for this to blow up… would not bank on this, especially the poor wording and loose angle of approach…

No where in it does it directly say to bring back the state exam, just funding for a staff that already exist…

https://www.budget.ny.gov/pubs/archive/fy21/exec/artvii/ted-memo.pdf

PART W – Home Inspector Examination

Purpose:
This bill provides the option for individuals to become licensed as a home inspector through New York State testing standards.

Summary of Provisions and Statement in Support:
This bill amends Real Property Law to provide the option for individuals seeking licensure as a home inspector to take a test administered by the Secretary of State. Under existing law, the only option for those seeking licensure is the National Home Inspector exam.

Budget Implications:
Enactment of this bill is necessary to implement the FY2021 Executive Budget as itincludes funding in support of DOS licensing staff.

Effective Date:
This bill shall take effect immediately and shall apply to applications for a license as a 24 home inspector received on or after November 25,2019.

Hi Tom, finally got my Lic for NYS, had to wait a bit to find out, but I confirmed on the NYS Lic search, I’m good to go. I have my first inspection tomorrow!

Two thumbs up on that!

1 Like

Little did I know, NYS changed the test requirements a few months back to either the NYS or National Exam, NYS Exam has avaliable dates on the NYS HI website below.

Unable to find the actual legilation anywhere, but link below for the most current law indicates both tests are ok.

A Legislative change effective April 3, 2020 allows Home Inspector applicants to pass either the New York State Home Inspector License Examination or the National Home Inspector Examination to qualify for licensure.

NYS DOS Site:

NYS 12B Law (Indicates both):