Newbie to Home Inspection-Morale Booster

Originally Posted By: dfrend
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Well since it was so easy for someone of your intelligence, let’s hear a rough estimate of the score.

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

dfrend,

You need to back off. I explained why I made the comment and that I don't remember my score.

--
Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.
--Kahlil Gibran

What was the rough score. I did not find it as easy as you did, but you claim it was so simple, what did you get?

I don’t remember my exact score, but I remember about what I got. My point is, if you claim it was so simple, you should be able to share how well you did. I did not find it overly difficult, but I did not get a 95 or better like I do on most tests.

Oh, and I assume the your six year old could still pass it?

I will tell you exactly what I do remember about the test. I remember taking the test and some of the questions having silly options for the answer. Upon completing the test I posted on a board, not sure if it was this one, that I finished the NACHI test and it was exceedingly easy. After that post someone sent me a personal e-mail about my post and told me basically not to get over excited about passing it as they have yet to find a person who has not passed. Now, obviously that is not the case but the point was taken. About a week later I spoke with a NACHI member on the phone, in an unrelated conversation, and mentioned the test to them. I said the test seemed overly easy and the NACHI member agreed and said NACHI is working on a new test.

My point is this, I would not want a new HI to take the NACHI test and assume because they passed it, they are ready for the business. Actually, when I passed it I knew I was not ready to actually complete a paid inspection. NACHI seems to have a lot of benefits. In fact after looking into various organizations, NACHI seems the most friendly and willing to help out. I very much want to attend the meeting coming up in my State so I can get a better feel about NACHI.

In conclusion, You should realize that on this and any forum you are going to have opinions that you may not agree with. This does not make the opinion wrong in general just because it may have rubbed you wrong. Lets move forward icon_wink.gif

–Kahlil Gibran

Thank you for you response, even though I still didn’t get qute the straight answer I was looking for. I disagree with people here all the time. Doesn’t mean anything. If I disagree, I will let them know. Firs,t I hope you do join NACHI. No, our test is not perfect. It is being rewritten, which takes time. But it is a tool. Joining a professional organization should never be the guage if one is ready to do the work. I think one has to consider all things. But if MR. Stone thinks he is ready, go for it.

John, Educate yourself. Use NACHI's resources, as well as all others available. Don't think that just because you passed the test you are ready. But have confidence and go for it. I did and still am. NACHI opened doors for me. The first two inspections from the search engine in my first two weeks paid for the membership and next years. NACHI is a membership driven org, so Join and drive.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: John Stone

First, I do not think I am ready to go out and start inspecting. I took the test to see if what I am learning is staying in my head. I did work as a construction grunt while in college and learned a lot while working my way up, which seems to help me quite a bit.

Second, so much for the morale booster. I didn't post the start of this thread to brag or gloat, just venting about insecurities of starting a business like this. I did get some good advice but I also got a lot of people bitching about whether the test can be passed by a kid, blah, blah, blah. I doubt I will be posting much on this board, but I will still read it. I am still debating about joining NACHI.

The one thing I have going for me is that I have 10 years experience in advertising design and a degree to go with it. So, I should be able to create a nice website and company identity, which from what I have seen from most HI companies in my area, is desperately lacking or non-existent. Maybe I could start a TV show like CSI and call it HI:Kansas City.

Thanks for the advice that I did get.

John, as you see, I post quite a bit. It is one of the ways I keep learning. That is the best way to prepare yourself. I have been in business just over six months. When I am unsure, I ask. MOST people won’t tear you down with unnecessary comments. There will be some. Don’t let it get to you. I am available here or offline to help you. This message board is very active and has a lot more posters than many boards. We welcome you and your input. We encourage you to participate. Reply to threads and start you own. You will learn a lot from alot of folks who WANT to help.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Sorry about that John!

Believe me, I never intended to knock you down or anything.
Let me explain what I have come up against with starting out.
I have lived and breathed Home Inspection for that past 5 months. I spend silly amounts of hours every day educating myself by reading books and forums like this one. BTW this is the best forum I have come across with all the information available. There have been times when I said to myself, "self, I think you need to go out and do a paid inspection"
But when I considered this I knew I was not really ready. It's kind of a roller coaster ride because at times you feel so confident then you read a post about plumbing and say to yourself, "what the heck are they talking about." It's times like that you feel like you have a long way to go. I know the industry is a constant learning process but we as new inspectors have got to really know what we are doing before going out and performing an inspection. I'm not saying you are or are not ready, just make sure you are. If we just go out and blow it because we are excited about jumping into this profession we will be short lived in it. I would strongly suggest you keep posting here with any HI related questions you have. There are some smart people here who are more than willing to help you.

Again, I'm sorry if that post offended you as that was not my intention. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
--Kahlil Gibran