Hello all!

I have been reading HI forums for about 3 months while researching this industry. I have spent most of the time in the last few weeks on here and wanted to make a quick post and a couple of questions asked.

I have researched most of the major online courses and unfortunately, that is the avenue I will start out with to obtain the knowledge to go into HI. I was very interested in a few “live” classes but it’s not feasible atm. That’s not going to discourage me, however, I am really trying to make the most informed decision I can on where to get the training.

I have a limited background in construction, mostly part-time work as a rough framer and my own remodel projects. I have been in Law Enforcement for 15 years and luckily young enough to be able to start a second career. I know it will be hard work due to the studying and re-training my brain in a new direction but I am definitely dedicated to making it happen and the actual job is something I know I will love to do.

One question I wanted to ask is in a few posts I have seen some people say that you should do in-field inspections and be out there to be sure that it is something you want to do. These same people right after that statement say they have seen “many” people come and go that thought this industry was right for them. My first thought is where are the statistics to show that but I’m sure there are none but I wanted to get anyone’s thoughts on if they did know people or a specific person who went through training and then decided to get out of the field once they started?

The majority of the online classes offered are around 90-110 hours, how many hours is the certification course here? I didn’t see a total when I went through the curriculum and if I missed it, I apologize. Do you also think that taking the additional courses (mold, energy efficiency, radon) immediately after is a plus? I plan on getting certified in as many advanced fields as possible and radon will be high on my list due to Iowa being my state I plan to inspect in. Most research I did showed Iowa #1 on the list for homes with radon.

Last question is I have been having some problems finding anyone to even respond to me about observing in-field inspections. I did read a forum here where an inspector said that sometimes the E&O insurance won’t cover someone who accompanies that inspector, which is understandable. If that is the case in most of the HI companies, how in the heck will I be able to get any live experience before starting inspecting on my own? I plan on doing the required mock inspections on friends and families homes but I feel like I will definitely want to observe an experience inspector before being able to do a good job on my own but if that’s not a feasible option, I will roll on!

My last comment will be that I have enjoyed reading alot of the posts here and do feel like this is a great group of inspectors who have a good relationship with one another. Being a cop I can tell you that can make all the difference in the world! I hope to hear back from you guys and don’t worry, I purposely titled my post because I do know I have everything to learn so no comment or criticism will fall on deaf ears! Thanks in advance for the help!

Larry

For you, InterNACHI’s online courses are perfect because you need knowledge first. Then InterNACH’s online video courses where we put you in many different situations with experts. Then you could top it off with InterNACHI’s House of Horrors: www.nachi.org/school where you’ll see 200 years of defects in 1 day.

Thanks Nick, I’ve looked at everything InterNACHI offers and it’s great. I was hoping for some more feedback to my other questions or general advice from other experienced inspectors but I do appreciate your time in reaponding

You will be hard pressed to find someone to ride with in your area. You may have to travel a few hours to find someone. As far as the insurance requirements go it is up to the inspector if they want to take on the liability of someone else on site with them. The inspectors company takes all liability for the persons onsite.

Thanks Nick, I’ve looked at everything InterNACHI offers and it’s great. I was hoping for some more feedback to my other questions or general advice from other experienced inspectors but I do appreciate your time in reaponding

Larry, when you were in law enforcement did you see your primary role as helping people or law enforcement? I am thinking you will enjoy home inspection if you were most concerned about helping people, and you would be a frustrated inspector if you were most concerned with enforcement issues.
Most business start ups fail because of money, that would be the lack of it, this applies to home inspection as much as any other business. You won’t be earning anything when you train, and very little when you start your business, you will have start up expenses, E&O is probably the biggest, but there will be more. You will need another income or money saved.
If when you worked in construction you had your eyes open, you were curious about what you saw everyone doing, asked questions, talked to the other trades you should have a good background for the HI courses you will need to take.
InterNACHI credit hours are not the actual hours you will need to complete the courses. Depending on your learning style and prior knowledge you may need less time or more time. re which courses, if Iowa does not have a license requirement, use another state’s required courses for your courses, the more courses the better, also choose the courses for your local conditions, will you inspect rural properties with septic tanks and wells? How do people heat their homes? Gas oil or electric?, are there lots of mobile homes or log homes where you are? etc. etc.
As far as ride alongs and E&O insurance, I don’t see an issue, my last inspection there were half a dozen people, realtor, client, client friends, relatives, kids, so what if I bring someone too.
When dealing with insurance the rule of thumb is don’t ask don’t tell. If HIs are telling you that you can’t come with them because of insurance they may not be the best mentors anyway.