Newbies education - Easy to miss

Even new cutout panels have open energized parts when the cover is open. This one is a few years old:

You can see the holding clips for the panel in question.

I see a few branch conductors running across the buss bars and one of them is double tapped into the bus on the far left. This may be a non-fused circuit.

Bingo!

Not true! All fuse panels are originally made with an internal panel that covers the bus-bars. They go missing over time and are in my opinion a DEATH hazard.

Next time you think a panel is built without an internal safety cover check each side of the panel and you’ll see the cut-outs or twisted lugs to secure the panel one side and a slot to lock it the other.

This is an Atlas electric commercial fuse panelboard, and the internal safety cover has been removed. It normally fits behind the deadfront and is held in place by a spring loaded centre panel that covers the main bus.

Where are you finding this information? What you see in the photo is the finished product.

Andrew Griffin got the right answer first (post #5)!

Nope! The internal plate is not a dead front.
However he did point the danger so he gets credit for that.

lol
OK this does it…Canadians are all tripping on some good acid.
I see the issue as the panel is not installed sideways.:slight_smile:

How can something be missing that never was?

Needs to be there and I have seen many remove them as they are a big hassle to put back. I can’t stand the design. It gets put under the tabs and then you need to position it just right to get passed all fuses. Then 2 holders are pushed into skinny little slots.No screws are used on the internal protection plate.

Well, I will have to disagree. I have found my share of fused panels without an internal cover. Switched fuse boxes, for example, will have only an exterior hinged-cover. I’ll be sure to take a photo next time, but I can tell you for certain - not all fused panels were made with an interior dead-front.

Thanks, Mr Pope…I thought the same thing. I know I have ran across the hinged fuse panel box covers with no internal cover. After reading some of the other posts, I just thought I was overlooking the old clips or whatever should have been holding them in place.

Now I realize I was wrong in thinking I could be wrong…:|.)

[attach]

[/attach]

Isn’t the panel inset to far? I thought it needed to be flush.

The classic find is a panel with a fused neutral. Scary

Bob that 1st pic is a nice picture of internal protection plate.:wink:
Do you have the pic where it is removed so we can see the skinny slots?

Maybe I’m not reading your posts right BUT, in my area when I find an old or new fuse box … There will be a hinged door at the front to open and change the fuses; then if you unscrew and remove that EVERYTHING else is exposed.

Some of the older disconnects when main door was opened would expose all wiring inside (no interior deadfront); and many of the new disconnects for AC units are the same … open the flip up door and all wiring is exposed … No interior plate.

Some have and some don’t, It all depends on the model. I don’t really care myself unless I see one is missing.