Newer aluminum wiring

I inspected a flip today and noticed aluminum wiring in the mix. Aside from open junction boxes not being secured and using standard wire nuts to to splice aluminum and copper wiring, the aluminum wiring looked new. Is there something I’m missing? I thought aluminum wiring was considered a no-no.

It’s a fire waiting to happen, inspection repair replacement by licensed electrician

What is? Be specific!

Just curious Anthony, what makes you think the wiring is new?

There is new aluminum out there, see it in new homes. Made by southwire number 10 is what we see or bigger.

Do you have a link to that product? I cannot find any solid #10 aluminum NM cable on the Southwire website.

1 Like

No your right it’s not NM it’s SEU they’re using.

Hey Kevin, The house is a flip and the wiring was part of the kitchen renovation. I presume the wiring to be new by the clean appearance of the wiring itself. The house was built in 1966 and the pre-existing wiring shows the typical yellow degradation associated with aging. This wiring is bright and shiny, free from any sort of dirt/dust or age related degeneration. From my photos I was able to pull the words “TYPE NM 500V KAISER ALUMINUM KA FLEX”. I’ve heard of newer alloy aluminum wiring, but didn’t think any had been approved for use in general house wiring.

It does look new. That is interesting.

I am not an electrician, however, my research tells me this : AL is allowed if it is UL listed, used for the proper application and the right connectors are used. All connections must be AL rated. In your photo, that is not the case with that pigtail connection. I cannot see the UL listing. You have enough to call it out for further evaluation.

Got it.
I can see your point in that the flipper renovated the kitchen and the wire appeared to be clean and newer, but IMO it’s not, it could be the flipper added fixtures or other electrical items and moved wires around, but it’s still single strand aluminum and in my book should be called out as such.

As for the different alloys being used, you’re correct, as I understand it there was a change in the alloy to make it less susceptible to heat expansion but it still was found to be problematic and had properties that were not as good as or comparable to copper as a conductor of electricity.

So, “New Old Stock” purchased from a “Garage Sale”… a flippers favorite bargain bin?

2 Likes