Newly painted surfaces

I’m sure most get the email from InspectorPro Insurance with inspection liability tips, etc. In today’s, there is a pretty good article about wood rot. It mentions calling out freshly-painted surfaces, as it can be concealing defects like wood rot, either intentionally or not. I was wondering if anyone actually calls out a freshly-painted wall - either interior or exterior. Funny that I had an inspection a couple days ago where inside and out had new paint. Interior walls had obvious holes that had been poorly patched… come to find out they had water penetration from a hurricane, and had mold remediation - holes cut in all walls. New paint covered the patches mostly…

I would probe the wood and use my moisture meter before I would call out freshly painted wood because it was simply freshly painted. JMHO

2 Likes

Don’t note something just because it’s painted. Anyone going to sell a house should freshen up the paint to increase the sell price. It’s a red flag that something may be covered and means you need to clean your magnifying glass and take a close look. A real pro does not speculate on what could be and only documents what is.

1 Like

Good points… For years, I’ve told clients that when a house is freshly painted, I often look even closer for defects. It’s kind of like when you walk into a house, and the smell of potpourri hits you! What are they covering up???

1 Like

Not as a defect, but always call out fresh coverings informationally because they are frequently used to conceal things from you and prospective buyers.

Sometimes you will come across fresh paint on a wall that seems to have settled and by rights should have cracks in it, but appears pristine. Quicky paint jobs are common enough to cover defects in an old building. If the paint says “Everything is cool, here. Move along”, but your head says, “Something ain’t right…” check it out.

1 Like