News Station going after Inspectors

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2454680/detail.html

Tonight they ran a sting with the help of the AHIT and showed inspectors missing a cracked heat exchanger. Wisconsin is in Michigan helping the news run a sting operation. If you have a dish tune in tomorrow night for news at five on channel 4 local news here in Detroit for more of the story. For some reason they are pushing for legislation. I wonder who is behind it?

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jremas

The heat exchanger is not part of the standards of practice for the HI industry. Even ASHI’s SOP clearly states that.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Nick or Joe H

I see an opportunity to turn this into a positive for NACHI. They being channel 4 news even mentioned because of there story a state legislature is going to come up with state standards. If we can get a hold of this state Rep, and get in before ASHI does this can be good. Instead of fighting after the fact this is the time to get in now. I personally don't have the experience to pursue this but would be willing to help out all I can. Let me know if this is worth pursuing, hey maybe even I could start a chapter out of this deal. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) Maybe we could get a hold of AHIT and find out there motive?

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jremas

AHIT’s motive is to increase business and or make themselves a mandatory training program for the state. $$$$$$$$$

Still don't know why they would use a heat exchanger as an example when I don't know any HI org that has it as part of their SOP.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Hey Jeff they had undercover cameras. I’m with you but the public does not understand this. AHIT did a home inspection and then they went into the phone book and called 8 inspectors, 7 of the 8 missed it. They showed the AHIT inspector/trainer pulling off the inspection panel and finding a crack that the TV camera could not detect. They want state legislation, they being I’m not sure. These inspectors missed some easy stuff and only took an hour to do the inspections, so in that regard it’s a good thing but I see this as the beginning of state legislation coming. More to come on Friday night as this is a two part story. These were companies I never really heard of.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jedwards

2. Local news reporters, assignment editors and promo hacks are bloodthirsty for stories that can discredit anything and anyone, regardless of journalistic merit, and they'll use whatever sleazy news-managing techniques they can come up with to create them. You should have seen the promos for one local station's hard-hitting expose on nail salons this week.

3. It's sweeps month.

4. ANYONE can fashion themselves in the media as an expert in a given field with a BARE MINIMUM of credentials. So ANYONE with an agenda, and the ability to sell it, can get on TV. Don't believe me? Try it. I've seen it, repeatedly. They even brag about it. I've heard it... repeatedly.

5. It's sweeps month.

6. With all the violence, war, terrorism, death, destruction, starving children, homeless families, political corruption, and (fill in your own blanks here) in the world, the biggest stories on TV news the past two weeks have somehow related to Janet Jackson's bare breast during the Super Bowl half time. That happened a couple weeks after her brother's arrest for child molestation, so he's old news.

7. It's sweeps month.

8. The news organizations give the viewing public (yeah, that's pretty much all of us, but feel free to opt out) what we've proven time and time again, with our remote controls, that we want.

9. IT'S SWEEPS MONTH.

I'm done. I got an early client tomorrow. Please pardon my jaded-ness, and thread drift...

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

Hello Chuck - Et al: I watched the program and found it definitely set up as a “sting” operation. But as an experienced inspector - I also saw several other concerns about typical poor quality of home inspection “communication/observation” skills.

Aside from the issue of the heat exchanger - it also highlighted in my opinion "extremely" poor reporting and commentaries of responding to the condition of the furnace and missed loose bathroom tiles at the tub/shower area. The loose tiles in my opinion seemingly way to obvious and should not have been missed by these inspectors.

It also highlighted the "failure" in one case of using a new "combustilbe gas" detector, that seemingly failed the inspector. He indicated it needed recalibration - ????

In addition the inspector performing the 1 hour inspection also pointed to the perceived quality of the inspection. This alludes to the issue of quantity versus quality - another great inspection debate. Not to mention the home inspector indicating the furnace was in good condition and had about 10 more years of life expectancy. When in reality it had a cracked heat exchanger. The real kicker is there are other ways to determing the condition of the furnace, andsigns of a cracked heat exchanger although not all 100% foolproof.

The Inspecting Inspectors segment also highlighted the critical importance of proper education and training, and certification - versus anyone can get into this "business" concept. I think it's a realistic wake-up call for inspectors, and equally not that different from the Canadian perspective of programs of a similar "sting type" nature.

I cannot respond to why -or who invoked this sting - other than "consumer" complaints. We must constantly realize the value and importance of protecting "consumers" or else we will continue to be targeted. The second part is airs tonight to address the "consumer" side of this debacle. Watch out Michigan - licensing may be on its way!

Another way of looking at it - we are vulnerable and can be easily sued.....it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Just my POV - Claude in Windsor Ontario

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: kleonard

clawrenson wrote:
The Inspecting Inspectors segment also highlighted the critical importance of proper education and training, and certification - versus anyone can get into this "business" concept. I think it's a realistic wake-up call for inspectors, and equally not that different from the Canadian perspective of programs of a similar "sting type" nature.

This is what I was wondering about. Did they just slam all Home Inspectors and the Industry as a whole or are they informing the public to do their homework before hiring a HI? It sounds like the latter to me, which is not a bad thing.

In Ohio We also have no licensing or cert requirements. I hear horor stories all the time. Just as in any profession, bad news travels much faster than good news.

Kevin

your ATTITUDE determines your ALTITUDE!

I agree with the posts, I also feel this is a good wake up call for home buyers. If you got to clickondetroit.com the home page has a video clip of the story last night. I see this as a great oppurtunty to get to the law makers now and not let other organizations dictate Inspection policy.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Chuck,

I agree with you about being PROACTIVE on the licensing front. Maybe you should run a dual post in the licensing section and see what Nick, Joe H., or someone on the steering or legislation committee has to say, since they have not weighed in here.

If a state does not currently have licensing, it seems that it will only be a matter of time. We absolutely must get going on licensing or we will let the other organization prescribe their views and standards to state governing bodies. We have seen in a couple of eastern states how badly that stinks! ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Originally Posted By: Guest

As most of you know I’ve spent my career thus far in the automotive field in the capacity of auto parts wholesale/retail and another separate operation performing repairs.

The auto repair business is one of the most closely scrutinized and is generally perceived by the public as crooked. My experience w/ this scrutiny has led to many of the posts that I’ve put on this forum concerning credibility. It also feeds my opinions on not performing services for inspection clients, more demanding qualifications for membership in NACHI, and the touchy topic of NACHI publicly declaring how the membership dues are spent.

In order for a profession to be held in high regard, it HAS to be above reproach. Entry into any technical, specialized field shouldn’t be easy. There should be requirements that exceed “I’m tired of selling shoes and I heard there’s good money in home inspection”

Any home inspector that can perform an inspection in an hour obviously can’t be doing a good job or has been conditioned by Realtors to do less than a thorough job.

If we all dedicate ourselves to being technically capable, objective and remembering who our real clients are, the profession will be credible.

If we allow complacency toward those that are glossing over reports, we won’t.

The cracked heat exchanger is well outside of most SOP’s and shouldn’t have been used as bait…but if it was visible to the naked eye with the furnace cover removed, it should have been discovered.

My shop has been involved in this type of sting operation as have some of my competitors. We passed their “test” as did several of the other reputable shops in my area, but we all went unmentioned in the report on television. The effect was the consumer was led to believe that all shops were crooked because a few screwed it all up.

EVERYONE has to be excellent. Period.

To accept less than excellence from anyone spells doom to all of our reputations

I delivered a report to a client today and she asked if I had seen the news about home inspectors. I told her yes and was glad to see it. I told her about the NACHI,( she never bothered to ask before). The news did show all Inspectors in a bad light but I hope part 2 tonight will explain things better. The Inspector from AHIT did take the inspection panel off behind the valve, he also used a TIF on the water heater gas valved and claimed there was a leak, also on the furnace gas valve he used the TIF and claimed a leak. The news lady said how the inspectors missed this and how that could have caused the house to BLOW UP! Like I said go to www.clickondetroit.com and view the video of it.

Blaine I put this in the legislation thread. Thanks...Provisional? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
NACHI MAB!

We’ll alert the producer of the segment. Meanwhile, we’ll make sure to put a link to your organization – http://www.nachi.org/ – in our Web story.

Thank you for writing,

Adam Burkett
News Editor
ClickOnDetroit.com
aburkett@clickondetroit.com
313-223-2217
WDIV-TV / Detroit

Thank you for your fast reply. I have sent other e-mails that I think better represent my feelings. An on air correction would be of much better value, as your original report may discourage people from hiring my company to do Home Inspections. I am not looking for any endorsement but recognition of a fine organization NACHI that is trying to change the way Inspectors do business all over the world for the better, Thanks again,

Chuck McCann
Alliance tech Home Inspection
www.alliancetechinspect.com
734-634-9344

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Sneaky investigation…makes me wonder if I’ll be on camera someday. Well… maybe not, we’re licensed here in Massachusetts and I refuse to get into the politics of licensing.

I disclaim all Heat Exchangers.

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Yeah, no investigations required where there is licence requirements. Everyone is on the up and up.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: pmooney

Chuck,

I saw the "investigative report" during dinner at the in-laws' tonight. Along with the obvious sensationalistic slant of the piece, the tip to "make sure your inspector is a member of ASHI or NAHI" really irked me. My first thought when I got home was "I've got to email the station & get our link added". I see you've already taken care of it for us. Thanks!! Our link's on their site now, let's see if they've had time to amend the report when they replay it at 11:00 tonight.

--
Paul Mooney
Southeastern Michigan NACHI Chapter President
heritage@se-michigan-nachi.org
www.se-michigan-nachi.org
Heritage Home Inspection
Waterford, MI