News TV puts together 2 month Investigation MI

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Posted: Feb 13, 2004 2:11 AM Post subject: News Station going after Inspectors

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2454680/detail.html

Tonight they ran a sting with the help of the AHIT and showed inspectors missing a cracked heat exchanger. Wisconsin is in Michigan helping the news run a sting operation. If you have a dish tune in tomorrow night for news at five on channel 4 local news here in Detroit for more of the story. For some reason they are pushing for legislation. I wonder who is behind it?

Alliance Tech Home Inspection
Canton, MI. Where we have real seasons!!!!!

I posted this in the misc section. I feel this is the perfect opportunity for the President of the NACHI or ED to call channel 4 here in Detroit and get the info on the law maker that is going to start putting together information for standards in Michigan. The reporter stated that because of there investigation a state Congressman is doing this now. If you go to the home page of www.clickondetroit.com and scroll down you will see a video of the story that aired here in Detroit. Part two is tonight at 5pm eastern. If you got a dish check it out. The time is now to act in Michigan by our leaders on this issue so we in Michigan don't get screwed by the other organization.

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Neato - Nice Links. None of those 8 HI’s other than the ASHI guy from AHIT in Wisconcin that has a school for home inspectors apparently ran their TIF-8800 gas leak detectors around pipes to find gas leaks. Wow!

Although some guys do this, I thought this went above the Standards of every state even the licensed ones.

Lets go get licensed so we can get more students for training schools.
Hold it, whats wrong with me - I train too - why don't I hurry up and get on the BAND WAGON like the other trainers and start pushing licensure.

Silly me, I wasn't thinking about my financial future.

Geez this stuff makes me puke.

Dan Bowers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Once again, yellow journalism from folks who should know better.

I wonder how long this AHIT guy took to inspect the home. Crack in the heat exchanger? I wonder how invasive the inspection got, how far past the ASHI standards of practice he went, and what equipment he used to "capture" that photo of the crack.

I also what instrument he used to detect the "dangerous exhaust gasses" entering the basement, as told by the reporter.

"Gas building up in the home is a dangerous situation" or something like that, referring to the TIF gas detector. What he fails to explain is the level of gas the TIF detects, with its nozzle directly on the gas shutoff valve. He also fails to explain the actual CONCENTRATIONS of natural gas needed for the house to explode.

I'd like to run a sting on one of HIS inspections.

What a joke. Self-serving dribble, right down to the ASHI mantra about the 21 states who have licensing versus the others who do not. Why didnt he explain that under ASHI licensing proposals, most of the inspectors "stung" in this expose would likely be grandfathered and the main beneficiaries of licensing are the schools which teach the craft.

Sickening. I wonder how many of those guys are full ASHI members, and how they were chosen...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Part 2 is tonight I guess, they claim they went into the phone book and just started calling. I guess AHIT is setting new standards right on TV. Funny I heard a radio station advertise a school for home inspector training, could it be AHIT? Checking on that now…

NACHI MAB!

What do ya know, AHIT is starting there class here in Michigan on Feb 14th-20th, also in April, and May. They claim to go by ASHI standards.hhhmmmmm…

NACHI MAB!

I’m sure that the Training Classes starting so soon afterwards are just a coincidense. Be real - why would a HI Trainer want to stir up the pot like this against other inspectors and with all the lets go get licensed crapola.

Dan Bowers

AHIT offers all kinds of training, even the do it yourself kit. With that training there is no way someone could miss the stuff those other guys did. What a joke, I wonder what kind of deal they struck with channel 4 to do this? Lets see, more licensing means more schooling, what a great deal. I will say those guys did miss some easy things though, stuff thats not in the video clip, like loose tile in the bath, etc. Part 2 coming tonight, they teased with E&O insurance last night.

NACHI MAB!

You just screwed over 50 qualified home inspectors in Michigan that belong to a non profit organization call NACHI, National Association of Certified Home Inspectors. Larger then the NAHI, and with stroner standard operating procedures then ASHI. Just because you belong to these two organizations does not qualify you to be an Inspector. Please be better informed before discrediting people you don’t know. Very irresponsible,

Chuck McCann
Owner of Alliance Tech Home Inspection
www.alliancetechinspect.com

I just sent this in to the local news station after seeing there second half of the "Investigation". They were doing so good until the 5 tips to find a home inspector, Quote "they should belong to either ASHI or the NAHI.
They are suppose to publish the tips on there website I will post asap, I will not join them!

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Check it out

http://www.clickondetroit.com/defenders/2846726/detail.html

On the left side column (Ruth's Tips) , NACHI and a link to http://www.nachi.org has been added.

Good job Chuck McCann in bringing that issue to their attention.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Greg Owens

I saw that report your email to them must have worked because they now have a listing and link to nachi

Wow, I just sent another much more informed e-mail to them before seeing this. Glad to see they listen, to bad it aired on TV. Maybe they will do a correction on the air. I will continue until I see them do this. Is there anyway Joe that you being the President could also e-mail them your concerns, heck anybody that wants to please do. They even just say the two organizations still. That should be 3 , well really only 1. My goal is to get an on air correction. I feel the best way to get this is by e-mails. Maybe even certified mail from the Executive Director and President. In big bold letters they put on the screen ASHI or NAHI. I want them to put NACHI on TV also. This discredits my company and I will not stand for it. icon_evil.gif

NACHI MAB!

----- Original Message -----

To: alliancetech@comcast.net ; news4@clickondetroit.com

Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 6:39 PM

Subject: RE: Home Inspection Ruth alliance

We'll alert the producer of the segment. Meanwhile, we'll make sure to put a link to your organization -- http://www.nachi.org/ -- in our Web story.

Thank you for writing,

Adam Burkett
News Editor
ClickOnDetroit.com
aburkett@clickondetroit.com
313-223-2217
WDIV-TV / Detroit

Thank you for your fast reply. I have sent other e-mails that I think better represent my feelings. An on air correction would be of much better value, as your original report may discourage people from hiring my company to do Home Inspections. I am not looking for any endorsement but recognition of a fine organization NACHI that is trying to change the way Inspectors do business all over the world for the better, Thanks again,

Chuck McCann
Alliance tech Home Inspection
www.alliancetechinspect.com
734-634-9344

Ruth To The Rescue's Tips For Finding An Inspector
Ruth to the Rescue talked to more than a dozen experts to help home buyers find a reputable home inspector. Here are their tips.

Interview Potential Inspectors: Good questions to ask are: "How long will the inspection take?" A thorough inspection will take two to four hours, depending on the size of the house.

Get Proof: Ask the inspector for proof that he or she is certified by an accredited home inspection school.

Insurance: Ask whether the inspector carries errors and omissions insurance. "E and O" insurance covers inspectors for any negligence.

Check Membership: Be sure your inspector is a member of at least one of the two major, nationwide home inspection associations: The American Society of Home Inspectors, The National Association of Home Inspectors, and The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors.

Get Recommendations: Realtors often have brochures for companies they trust. But, do your own homework. Request a copy of a past inspection report to see if the inspector provides the kind of information you expect.

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Larry O’Connor

One question that seems to be asked regarding this investigation was

who was responsible for getting the state involved?

The Michigan representative who introduced the bill made the comment
somewhere that a constituent brought their concern to him.

It appears that the only people who brought this to the states' attention
may have been the reporter herself.

"Local 4 Defenders took the eight different reports from the local home
inspectors straight to Lansing, demanding answers on how this
industry could be so unregulated.

The Defenders also obtained copies of lawsuits from dozens of local
homeowners suing inspectors for missing critical problems, from
raw sewage found in a crawl space to cracks in the walls."

But that's a moot point now.

What I need to know is this. Can a cracked heat exchanger really cause
enough carbon monoxide to build up in the living areas to a dangerous
leve?

Quote from investigative report of The Defenders
"He also found cracks in the heat exchanger of the furnace, which
could cause carbon monoxide poisoning."

I was doing some reading on furnace repairs and potential dangers.
This is what I read..."A failed heat exchanger is much more difficult to
determine, but in almost all cases, is much less dangerous than a
blocked chimney. In fact, when a furnaces fan is running, the heat
exchanger is pressurized from the house air side. In almost all cases
this pressure will not allow dangerous gases to accumulate in the house air.
The path of least resistance for these exhaust gases is up the chimney.
This may not be the opinion of most gas utilities in the country, which is
somewhat understandable based on the liability exposure."

The article continues to explain that, depending on the size of the failure
and its location, that it's rare this amount of CO or CO2 could exceed
that found emitting from a kitchen range flame.

Does any one agree?

My question here is that this: Would Newcomer, with 15 years of experience, know this?

Just my 2 cents worth. Again, a moot point now.

Larry O'Connor

One of the guys on another HI message board said that they had just heard that one of the TV Stations employees that aired that special in Detroit had taken the AHIT HI Course and was a part-time HI. Also that he might start teaching at the Michigan classes part-time.

Anybody heard anuthing about this stuff.

Would not surprise me at all. AHIT has started satellite classes in Michigan, but as far as I’m concerned this TV broadcast was nothing more then self serving for AHIT, and apparently an employee of the station.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jsavino

I believe training is very important in any field. Gas leaks in a building, if any, should be detected and repaired a.s.a.p. The size and location in the heat exchanger is a good point. I also feel that locating a cracked heat exchanger (that is less then obvious) goes beyond the scope of a normal home inspection.

My questions are;
When the blower came on was there any roll out of the flame?
Where did the rust come from? Central a/c coil tray that is plugged?
Is there a humidifier leaking on the heat exchanger?
Is the Basement damp in the summer?
Were the buyers told in the report to call a licensed and qualified HVAC Co. to do a more extensive investigation.

John