NH inspectors

Great idea Frank! Can’t see how they could reject that offer.

Frank, I think this is a great idea and a help to all NH inspectors. I would fill out the application and have it ready, I’m sure the board will require some documentation before approval is granted.

I also think that NACHI should start getting some courses approved for CEUs.

I am confident that Carla is prohibited from answering unilaterally for the board.

Thank you Joe!
The board is a collective body that makes decisions based on fact presented to them.
1.“Do not discuss Board business with friends, co-workers, acquaintances and/or family.
5. “Do not take a position on a Board issue until all the facts, law and arguments have been presented to you, and you have had a chance to discuss the matter thoroughly with the rest of the Board Members.”
7.” Do not accept personal telephone calls, correspondence or emails concerning Board business. All requests must be written and directed to the Board as a whole at the Board office."
I will be happy to help anyone with the application forms and as I said the Board office is always there to answer any questions.
Carla

Carla…I’m sorry, but from the rules you stated it sounds to me that the Board has more of an interest in protecting itself than the profession or the public.

Since when is a member of any board not allowed to have a position on an issue until permitted by the remaining members of the Board? That is nonsense? What is your position on home inspectors stealing items of value from a home they are inspecting? Should realtors be in control of your profession in New Hampshire? Should any one association be given favor over another? Who must you hear from before forming an opinion on those issues.

Jeez. Were you selected for your ideas, experience and positions…or for an ability to leave your brain at home when you attend a meeting and “go with the flow”?

Answering for the Board is one thing…but answering for Carla Horne to her fellow NH inspectors is a duty.

Paul,
well said.
With that in mind, it seems that the “standards” to which the board bases decisions to accept or reject a potential licensee is subjective and open to the boards opinion. Either one meets the minimum requirements or they do not. But then again, out of all the licenses that have had grandfathering for those in business, this is probably one of the first to require potential grandfathered inspectors to take a test. Congratulations on making history.

Chris McDonald

Typical board member; typical response. Sound like lawyer verbage to me. Board members will never give straight answers, even when they know it. They are married to the special interest groups; not inspectors or attorneys. It frustrates me when inspectors just do not get it; it is too late guys. You should have yelled months ago. You got it, now suffer. The only response from any board member will be through an attorney. Got money?

Gary, I realise that your relative new here but we have fought this for years not months and continue to do so.

What I would like to know is an honest and direct answer from the board as to whether they are open to any and all other sources of education and testing such as InterNACHI and specifically will give an unbiased look at what InterNACHI has to offer in the way of education for Home Inspectors everywhere.

My inquiries have been answered and InterNACHI can and will proctor any exam at any community college in NH.

I suggest that we take the exam and all of us submit it with our application. The only reason I have not to take the other exam is the cost I’ve heard is around 200.00. I may be wrong but 200.00 for the license is enough.

Peter,
you said it!
In other words:

Before licensing:
$102 (approx. state registration)

After licensing:
$102 (approx. state registration)
$250 (approx. state required test)
$200 (state license application)
$ 25 (state background check)
$??? (Insurance)
$??? (state required stamp/seal-See below #1)
Total to be in business paid to the state: At least $577

Add to that the cost of changing all business materials to include license number/info.

So, in these times of economic hardship and business layoffs, I’m am so appreciative of the boards understanding by requiring all of these extra fees.

Chris McDonald

#1)Home 305.03 Licensed Home Inspector Seal/Stamp/License Number.
(a) Upon issuance by the Board of a license to an applicant as a licensed home inspector, require the licensee shall acquire an impression type seal or rubber stamp of the design approved by these rules and submit the seal to the board for approval. This seal shall bear the licensee’s name and number as shown on the license.

Your right Chris, it adds up quick. I see no reason why the NACHI test once proctored would not be excepted, actually between taking the test online and prior work experience along with grandfathering I see now problem for us who have been doing this for more than a year. Moving forward, I think NACHI has some great educational programs that should be included for CEUs.

I think if we have a different attitude towards this things will be more productive, we all know the value of our programs and the yearly test, let’s present it to the board and start getting some NACHI education approved.

I am new to NACHI, but have performed over 3,000 inspections since 2002. Before that, I spent 30 years as a food inspector, manager, buyer for the largest food distributor in the world, and home builder. Anyway, I joined NACHI because I heard that it was going to be required in Kansas. Not anymore. So, just putting in my two cents before I get out of the business. I will not be bullied, pushed around, or abide by sub-par rules, regulations, over $3,000 of educational requirements in Kansas, and the poorest SOP’s ever written. My job, as it always has been, is to take care of the customer. If I cannot do that, why am I doing this? Taking tests does not make a good home inspector; I don’t care who’s tests you take. You cannot beat actual experience. Any person coming out of college barely makes it in the corporate world. They are clueless. Until they gain the needed experience, inspectors, too, are clueless.

By the way, when my former employer let me go to hire a younger person, they lost 50% of their business. They have yet to gain that back; millions where lost in sales. The person replacing me was clueless. You guys in New Hampshire need to keep the heat on. It works. Educate the young guys. They will come to your side.

My point is that as things are being reviewed and developed by the licensing board, it would be imprudent for any member to publicly discuss Board policy in a public forum such as this. It could easily be construed as Carla speaking for the entire Board, when in fact she is not and can not.

Cut her some slack, guys.

They are all new at this.

My suggestion is for InterNACHI and NACHI-NH to have a true plan for getting into the ame. The deck is already stacked. Rhetoric will get you nowhere.

You need to fill the gaps before they swallow you whole as inspectors, members, and businessmen.

Pick the low-hanging fruit ad build your position and base.

1st issue of the day is gaining acceptance of the InterNACHI proctored exam with te Board, or bring it to the attention of the legislature that they will not accept the exam for no valid reson.

As I see it…

Step one is the filing of the HI Pre-Licensing Course Application by InterNACHI which I believe is in the process of being done. NH RSA mandates what needs to be addressed. Procedure outlines that other organizations need to file apps. for education but I see nothing concerning exams.

At this time it appears that some procedures are incorrect probably due to lack of a method to correct the problems and knowledge of alternatives. As Frank has pointed out the NHIE is incorrect procedure which leaves the board in a position with no apparent correct procedural solution at this time, there is no such exam which meets the criteria that the board knows of or it would have been chosen. This doe not mean one doesn’t exist or could be derived from existing exams.

I believe InterNACHI can and is willing to fill this void. The unbiased INACHI test is the entry exam format which has no benefit to INACHI even if it is the same format as the HI exam which could arguably be beneficial to INACHI. Semantics no doubt but we know how that works. Anyone can take the entry exam free of charge with no obligation to do anything at all afterwards. It can be used as a learning tool by members of any organization with no benefit at all to INACHI.

Even if all of this does not directly affect grandfathering it does affect future HI.

Agreed Chris. That is what government does, controls the population for a fee, results are not important. More laws will just be added with more fees, not to worry.

Thank you Joe, for your words of reason.

Guys,
read the damn rules!
The “NHIE or it’s equivalent” is in the grandfathering provision. So if you have been in business since one year prior to July1, 2008 (which would be July 1, 2007) then submit the results of the test that you have taken, with the rest of the required docs. with, yes, your 200 whopping dollars
and move on.
The NHIE is the one exam required for new candidates. This is dictated by the statute. And yes it is independant…
And by the way INACH, I am sure is working on submitting courses to the NH Board.
All of this energy could be spent on positive rather than negative and things would be much nicer.
Thank you Joe for your kind words and intelligence
Carla

The NHIE is “independent”. :roll:

Quote Carla Horn:
And yes it is independant
**End Quote: **

Carla,
I have some questions for you…

1. Have you gone to this Federal Website?

2. Have you seen that ASHI owns the NHIE?

If you have… you will see that ASHI owns the NHIE. So… how can you say that the ASHI owned test is independent?

Trademark Search](Trademark Search)

United States Patent and Trademark Office
Home](United States Patent and Trademark Office)
|**Site Index](Site Map | USPTO)|**Search](http://www.uspto.gov/main/sitesearch.htm)|**FAQ](General FAQs | USPTO)|**Glossary](Glossary | USPTO)|Guides](United States Patent and Trademark Office)|**Contacts](http://www.uspto.gov/main/contacts.htm)|eBusiness](http://www.uspto.gov/ebc/indexebc.html)|**eBiz alerts](http://www.uspto.gov/helpdesk/status/status.htm)|**News](http://www.uspto.gov/main/newsandnotices.htm)**|**Help](http://www.uspto.gov/web/menu/feedback.html)

[FONT=Arial]Javascript required to view site-wide navigation bar. >> [/FONT][FONT=Arial]View Alternative Site Navigation[/FONT]](http://www.uspto.gov/sitenav.htm)
[FONT=Arial]Trademarks[/FONT]](Trademarks | USPTO)[FONT=Times New Roman] >Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)[/FONT]

*[FONT=Times New Roman]TESS was last updated on Tue Apr 28 04:06:01 EDT 2009 *[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]( Use the “Back” button of the Internet Browser to return to TESS)[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Typed Drawing[/FONT]
**[FONT=Times New Roman]Word Mark **[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]NHIE[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Goods and Services[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: preparing, administering, and scoring a standardized test in the form of written examinations taken by professional home inspectors to determine their qualifications for association membership and state licensing. FIRST USE: 20000301. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20000301[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Mark Drawing Code[/FONT]
FONT=Arial TYPED DRAWING[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Serial Number[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]76099552[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Filing Date[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]July 31, 2000[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Current Filing Basis[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]1A[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Original Filing Basis[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]1A[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Published for Opposition[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]January 8, 2002[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Registration Number[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]2555205[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Registration Date[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]April 2, 2002[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Owner [/FONT]****[FONT=Arial]size=5 [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]American Society of Home Inspectors, Inc. CORPORATION NEW YORK 800 E NORTHWEST HIGHWAY, SUITE 700 PALATINE ILLINOIS 60074 [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][size=5](LAST LISTED OWNER) [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]EXAMINATION BOARD OF PROFESSIONAL HOME INSPECTORS, INC. CORPORATION NEW YORK 800 E NORTHWEST HIGHWAY, SUITE 700 PALATINE ILLINOIS 60074[/FONT]