NH leg. update

You guys are awesome…

They are, indeed.

Thank you for your comments, I would also like to commend our chapter president Frank Carrio for his devotion to this effort. He has put more time into this than anyone and should be congratulated for his efforts. He has put a tremendous effort into protecting his fellow chapter members so we all can remain in business if any law passes, we all hope it was the one Frank wrote but may only contain parts of it.

I might add, those parts will keep us in business and close the door on some of ASHI’s, oops, I meant the independent coalitions bill, requirements that read like an ASHI hand out.

Thank you Frank for all your hard work, I appreciated it!!!

[quote=prussell]

Thank you for your comments, I would also like to commend our chapter president Frank Carrio for his devotion to this effort. He has put more time into this than anyone and should be congratulated for his efforts. He has put a tremendous effort into protecting his fellow chapter members so we all can remain in business if any law passes, we all hope it was the one Frank wrote but may only contain parts of it.
Peter,
I want to thank you for your kind words. As many of you know I am in my 20th month of fighting ASHI’s efforts to control the home inspection industry in the state of New Hampshire.
So far as I can remember, they submitted their first Bill in 1998, and we beat their butts. From 1998 to 2004 ASHI had a larger membership in the state of New Hampshire and it was touch and go. In 2005 we had a stronger showing and a stronger opposition. I am happy to say that in 2006 we soundly beat their butts. From 1998 2004 I was not as actively involved as I am now. My excuse was that I was working full time and did not have time to devote to these legislative efforts. In 2005 I saw that this was a serious mistake. So I have basically closed my business in order to make a conscientious effort to devote myself full-time to this extremely important matter.
I am happy to say that our opposition was so strong in 2006 that we not only defeated the ASHI Bill, but we caused a first-term member of House of Representatives to lose his efforts at reelection. Talk about making your voice heard!
Now we are at it again.

I might add, those parts will keep us in business and close the door on some of ASHI’s, oops, I meant the independent coalitions bill, requirements that read like an ASHI hand out.
Senate Bill 212 was written by Joseph Bates, Past President of ASHI – New England, Robert McDonald current President of ASHI – New England, and David Roth current Vice President of ASHI New England.

It has been very clear that the so-called “President of the Independent Coalition” is David Roth, who is also the current vice President of ASHI – New England. How is that for “an independent coalition”?
Thank you Frank for all your hard work, I appreciated it!!!

Peter,
One thing I learned in Viet Nam, and that is “Defeat Is Voluntary”. I’m not going to roll over and play dead for ASHI!
I want to say that without you and all of the other proactive NACHI members that nothing would be accomplished and that the Senate bill would not have gone in to a subcommittee hearing. I believe that without you and the other NACHI members that it would have passed as written, and in the upcoming session would have been sent to the floor for a vote.
So I say to you and all the other New Hampshire, proactive NACHI members, “Keep up the good work, and don’t let your guard down”.
Warmest regards,

Keep up the great work Frank! You are a shining example to us all! :slight_smile:

There’s no doubt that Frank Carrio’s leadership is at the core of building NACHI strength in New Hampshire as well as guiding the efforts to get a good licensing law enacted.

As for last Fridays NH Senate committee meeting. I think it’s fair to say that all the members attending (we basically filled the front row and part of the second) had a strong impact on the committee. When inspector after inspector gets up to testify against something with only a few in support it counts for a lot.

I feel we took the correct tack in support of fair licensing while opposing the clearly biased Senate bill. In response to repeated testimony about how this bill would impact many law-abiding and serious New Hampshire business people the Chair was quite adamant in her statements that this is not and would not be the result of their actions. This seemed to cause more then a little consternation among the ASHI flacks still present.

But we can’t get complacent as many strange things can happen in politics. But I think that this at least in this we round we have the day.

I just received a phone call from state representative Benjamin Baroody, he relayed the information that Senator Cilley had just called him to inform him that the ASHI Bill Senate Bill 212 had been tabled.

Congratulations on your victory, Frank.

Hi to All!
What a bill is “tabled” that means that the Senate has stopped working on it. The process is this, the House bill will go forward. The ASHI opponents will attempt to butcher it, and then it will be sent to the Senate. The Senate will then attempt to modify it and if all can live with the modifications. It will pass.
If we oppose the modifications, then the Senate will try to kill our Bill and “revive” their Bill.

So the bottom line is this, just because the Bill has been tabled does not mean that it is dead. We must remain vigilant. I ask that each and every one of you continue to voice your opposition to the Senate Bill, and to continue to e-mail Senator Cilley, and the entire Senate sub committee.

Warmest regards, Frank Carrio CMI.

Frank Carrio CMI.
President, New Hampshire State Chapter of NACHI.
NACHI, State Representative for Legislative Affairs.

Great news Frank, I think our presence in the first two rows at the hearing paid off. When they saw how many small independent inspectors where there and from all over the state they must have realized the impact the ASHI bill would have on us.

Hi Peter,
I received a private message from Senator Cilley today.
I will be happy to share it with you privately.

update as of yesterday,

the house status of HB763: retained in committee

the senate status of SB212: report filed, ought to pass with amendments 6-0

thats all for now

CJ

Hi All,

Since I was present for the Senate committee action I thought there might be some interest in what those amendments were.

1. The reciprocity (or rather lack of reciprocity requirement) was fixed. So that out-of-state inspectors (in our case usually Massachusetts) will only be able to get reciprocal licensing in NH if their state (Massachusetts) offers that to licensed New Hampshire inspectors. Meaning no offense to anyone but that is only fair. If you want to play in my sandbox then I should be allowed to play in yours under the same basis. Folks from out-of-state will still be allowed to apply for a NH license but they will have to meet whatever licensing requirements are finally established on an equal footing with local folks.

2. The other fix dealt with the board to make the structure less susceptible to being controlled by any one association. I’m sure this is causing some teeth gnashing in certain quarters. If this thing does finally get through having a board that is not controlled by narrow vested interests will be important to the future here in New Hampshire.

For any New Hampshire NACHI members who are still sitting on the sidelines on this issue I urge you to get into this fray. I know many of you who are opposed to licensing and in the true “Live Free or Die” spirit I agree with you. But the clear trend is that licensing is coming. You can choose to influence what you have to live with or be surprised (and perhaps out of business) on January 1st.

As the bill stands now there are other provisions that make it a “real stinker”. But the work continues to influence the process. If you are now in business as a NH home inspector you need to get involved in this process while there is time to make a difference.

If anyone needs more info feel free to write or call me anytime. 603-353-4100

Mr. Belmont makes an important point.

I oppose licensing wherever it can be found. I am in favor of repealling it where it presently exists.

However, if you oppose licensing in your state…remaining silent is not an option. Get out and fight both of these bills.

Force the legislature to do the impossible and prove that state control over your business is necessary.

Fight all legislation or support the bill you want…but remaining silent on the issue is not an option.

I concur. If you are not willing to be involved then you are at the mercy of those who will be involved. I recognize that the commitment to be involved is not trivial. Like you I need to make a living and having an invalid wife to care for just adds to my responsibilities. But I know I either get involved or most likely get screwed.

Regardless of your position by being involved you put your government on notice that you are watching. It can help make them more careful if they know they can’t just cut a deal with a paid lobbyist.

Right now is a critical time in New Hampshire. Pending legislaiton ,if approved, **will **cost NH home inspectors hundreds or even thousands of dollars to stay in business. That is fact. Or put you out of business without recourse. Also fact. With the shift in power in the legistature (Democrats in control) there is a different emphasis then under the previous (Republican ) legislature. (Now I don’t say that to start a party war. Just to point out that the new guy often needs/wants to make their mark in areas that the previous folks were content to leave alone). If you are sitting home thinking this will go nowhere I do believe you will be very surprised.

At a minimum the current Senate bill will require you to pay for and pass the NHIE. (the language is highly obfuscated but that’s what it adds up to) (About $300 now right?). $50 if you want to practice. As well as whatever the eventual license fee turns out to be. But that is likely to be in the hundreds as the bill (like most NH legislation) requires the board to set it to generate 125% of the cost of administering the program. (Can you say profit for a cash starved legislature) That assumes you are able to meet the other requirements for a license. It’s possible that many of you will find yourself a few inspections short and have to stop working for months or longer while you fork over more money to be properly trained. If the training is available at any price as the requirements for a trainer are also very high. (Again a fact of the bill) Or maybe you’ve got a pile of inspections but unless you can prove it to the boards satisfaction you will be paying for retraining anyway and they won’t shed one tear.

I’m not saying any of this to be critical of this bill but you should have some facts. Perhaps you would agree with the provisions. Maybe you wouldn’t. But if you don’t particiapte then all you can do is accept the results. And I believe that most folks won’t be pleased with them.

One point I would like to make is the required education, SB212 was proposed to take effect I believe, but may be wrong, around July 1 2007. The ASHI lobbyist, I prefer to call him what he is! stated that they are willing to push that date out to January 1 2008. If we do not know what course will be required or test for that matter how can we possibly prepare to stay in business?

These are questions that need to be answered now

Quote:
*how can we possibly prepare to stay in business? *
End Quote:
You can’t! And that is the whole purpose of Senate Bill 212!

This Bill was written by Joseph Bates, past president of ASHI New England, Robert McDonald current president of ASHI New England, and David Roth current vice president of ASHI New England.

Why you think that anyone of these three “gentleman” would want any of their competition to remain in business?