Nice Work

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This was a upgrade for a new panel.

![](upload://moOUor5yZ6cESlxWT4kOSrcmg2s.jpeg)
![](upload://5gjhsjQ77E105NI2etbp4KybxyI.jpeg)
The old panel (the one pictured) is located in a very small bathroom cabinet. The wire all needs to be in conduit. What about the rest. The dead front cover is missing off the old panel. Can the old panel be considered a junction box if the dead front cover were installed? There was a exhaust fan in the bathroom but look at the rust on the wire staples in the first picture. Is the humility a concern in this case? What else do you guys see?

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I think you are right on for calling out a missing cover. The high moisture condition is something I would call out as a “concern”, as the long term durability may be an issue in a high moisture area.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Shoving all that wire in a conduit would cause some serious derating issues. Building a drywall chase would be a better solution, along with tracking down an appropriate cover. Using the old panelboard enclosure for a J box is common but you do need the right cover. You also need to close all the unused knockouts.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Greg Fretwell wrote:
You also need to close all the unused knockouts.

Greg...this was from a home last year. Does the hinged panel cover negate the need for knockout plates?

![](upload://f3r0zAnkAYJGqzqX11VkdPp6rM4.jpeg)

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

rmoore wrote:
Greg Fretwell wrote:
You also need to close all the unused knockouts.

Greg...this was from a home last year. Does the hinged panel cover negate the need for knockout plates?

![](upload://f3r0zAnkAYJGqzqX11VkdPp6rM4.jpeg)

Nope, in fact the 2005 code addresses this directly. The hinged door is not a cover. To start with it is not effectively grounded/bonded.

Personally I would not call that an appropriate cover, even if he did put seals in all the unused breaker knockouts. (but I don't like using the old enclosure in the first place). I imagine you could get a listing and labelling pissing match going but I hold my nose and OK it if they have a field built flat cover in place and all the other work is done well. I have seen covers that looked like they were factory made but it could just be a great job of field building, basically well placed holes and somewhat matching paint.

Originally Posted By: psmothers

Thx for the responses!

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson